Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times

Advertisements

I am a man from Norway who are trying to trace some of the emigrants from here.

In Tynset, Norway, there is a group of farms called Næverrøsten. A lot of people from here left for America around 1900. Most of them made a first stop with relatives or friends at various places in Wisconsin, but it seems that many of them at a later time continued to Makoti, Orlien township or nearby settlements in North Dakota.

Most of them used 'Næverrøsten' or 'Neverrøsten' as their last name when leaving Norway. This name had to be changed when registering in the U.S., and I know that forms like 'Naverosten' and 'Nevrest' has been used. Probably a lot of other forms too + various '-sen' names.

I would like to hear from anyone who can offer information about these settlers in or around Makoti. Did they settle next to each other to re-establish family or neighbour relations from their childhood in Norway? Did they keep up a high level of social contacts? Are there any traces of this community still to be found today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 38,086 times
Default Any luck?

enytroen,

Have you recieved any information since you posted here? I will be returning to North Dakota soon, and although I am not moving to Makoti, I would be happy to assist you in your search for information.

My Great Grandfather (Evan Benson) was born in Norway and lived in Minot which is very close to Makoti. I still have family in that area.

I do know the challenges that come with trying to find out information from overseas and I will do what I can to help.

Kimber

Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
My greatgrandparents moved from Norway to Brainerd, Minnesota, then had ten kids who moved to North Dakota, Iowa, and eventually California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search