Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:47 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,194,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellrose View Post
Hi and thanks for reading! I am searching for my birth mother who is Jewish and from Ohio and born between June and September 1938. I believe her maiden name is MARKS and has the initial E as her 1st or middle name. Possible Rosella E Marks. I was born Sept 8, 1958 in Staten Island New York and adopted through the Louise Wise adoption agency. My bio fathers name is Anthony Capobianco.

Does anyone have any idea who this may be?

Thank you!

Liz Heath
Can you tell those who are wanting to help in your search if your birth mother got pregnant in Ohio, or New York? Does the Non-ID info say anything about her parents, siblings, family life? Does it say what her father/mother did for a living? How old the parents were? How did you come to find out who your birth father was? Were you given a name at birth? Why do you think the last name is Marks? Have you done a DNA test with any of the sites that offer them? Why do you think her birthdate is between the time frame you have listed?? Have you posted on any of the adoption websites??

So many times people have quite a bit of information, especially if they have obtained their non-id info and yet, they keep bits and pieces of information from those who are trying to help them search, just to see if they get some information correct. Or, they may leave out something they personally don't think could possibly be helpful. And another thing, they have searched, but don't let others know where they have searched and what they found, whether it be correct, or incorrect. This last one drives me batty because, given this information on what roads an adoptee has gone done and found a dead end will help me not go down that same road, thus wasting time.

Not getting on your case, or making accusations to you directly, just making a statement of some of the things I run in to when I search for family members.

Oh, and another thing...people sign up on adoption websites and then when something is found, the email is no longer valid, or it's an account they never look at. I found a mans family months ago and we never knew if he got the information. Last night I found 2 different families, so far, no answer to the emails I've send with the information. I do searching through an adoption website that is solely free and all that I ask in return is an email telling me they received the information and to let me know if I was helpful in their search.

If you have your NON-ID info there surely has to be more information than you have stated above, otherwise, that would be one of the smallest non-id files I've come across.

Would be happy to try and assist if you have more information. You can p/m me if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:19 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,194,537 times
Also, this may be helpful if you use FB

https://www.facebook.com/LouiseWiseA...MomsSearching/

Old 12-24-2017, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 14,225 times
Eldemila.....Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have done ancestry and 23 and me, that is how I found my bio dad family. I have a half brother match and reached out to him. He was very helpful and sent pictures, etc. My bio dad passed away about 7 years ago and no one4 knew of me, except his best friend, who remembers that bio dad dated a "little Jewish" girl whose name began with an "E". He said that she told bio dad that she was pregnant after they broke up and that she was going to move to NY to be with her older sister who moved there previously so that she could hide the pregnancy from her family. I know now that bio dad is of Italian decent and bio Mom is Jewish. They grew up in Ohio (he was raised in the LIttle Italy section in Cleveland. He was in the air force before they met. His name was Joseph Capobianco. I was adopted through Louise Wise and I did register and join their face book page.

I did get my non ID info and can send that to you. It does confirm much of what my bio brother said. Other infor says bio mom never finished HS, but, attended beauty school and worked in an office. She was 19 when she first went to Louise Wise and was 20 when she gave birth to me. Supposedly, she first went to Louise Wise in June and I was born on Sept 8, 1958. My Mom always told me that my birth Mom named me Dana. So, When i searched for a Dana born 9/8/58 in Richmond County Staten Island NY, I got 1 match. Bio Mom was listed at Rosella E Marks. This is why I believe this is her name, but, of course, like I wrote before, the census does not show an older sister. The non ID says she has a younger sister and on older sister, who she moved to NY for. There is a younger sister on the census though.

I would love your help, but, do not know how to PM you through this site. I can email you my non ID infor and other details. Do you do searches like this as a courtesy or is this a professional job for you? And if so, what do you charge? My email address in bellrose@hotmail.com.

Thanks... LIz

Old 12-24-2017, 10:46 AM

7,523 posts, read 13,645,526 times
Bellrose,

To send a DM (Direct Message) to Eldemila ( or anyone), click on their name in the upper left corner of their post. A menu pops up with "Send a Direct Message To ..........", click on it and go from there.

Good Luck in your search..........

Old 12-24-2017, 11:14 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,542,010 times
Quote:
Eldemila.....Thank you for your reply! Yes, I have done ancestry and 23 and me, that is how I found my bio dad family. I have a half brother match and reached out to him. He was very helpful and sent pictures, etc. My bio dad passed away about 7 years ago and no one4 knew of me, except his best friend, who remembers that bio dad dated a "little Jewish" girl whose name began with an "E". He said that she told bio dad that she was pregnant after they broke up and that she was going to move to NY to be with her older sister who moved there previously so that she could hide the pregnancy from her family. I know now that bio dad is of Italian decent and bio Mom is Jewish. They grew up in Ohio (he was raised in the LIttle Italy section in Cleveland. He was in the air force before they met. His name was Joseph Capobianco. I was adopted through Louise Wise and I did register and join their face book page.

I did get my non ID info and can send that to you. It does confirm much of what my bio brother said. Other infor says bio mom never finished HS, but, attended beauty school and worked in an office. She was 19 when she first went to Louise Wise and was 20 when she gave birth to me. Supposedly, she first went to Louise Wise in June and I was born on Sept 8, 1958. My Mom always told me that my birth Mom named me Dana. So, When i searched for a Dana born 9/8/58 in Richmond County Staten Island NY, I got 1 match. Bio Mom was listed at Rosella E Marks. This is why I believe this is her name, but, of course, like I wrote before, the census does not show an older sister. The non ID says she has a younger sister and on older sister, who she moved to NY for. There is a younger sister on the census though.

I would love your help, but, do not know how to PM you through this site. I can email you my non ID infor and other details. Do you do searches like this as a courtesy or is this a professional job for you? And if so, what do you charge? My email address in bellrose@hotmail.com.

Thanks... LIz
You've done really well, already. Really well.

(*Edit note this may be wrong Rosella) Here is a start, I have yet to locate Rosella but here are her family members and a photo of Jacob & Callie Kiem at find a grave. (greatgrandparents)

****Wait, wait. I need help from other researchers!!!**
..Edit---This whole printout below may be for the WRONG Rosella E Marks because on Oct 25, 1958 the one below married in a Catholic ceremony to Donald N Kessel. Massillon, Ohio
"wedding of Miss Rosella E. Marks, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul S. Marks of 1430 , Canton, and Donald N. Kessel, and Mrs. Norman Kessel "

---
Name: Rosella E Marks
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1938
State File Number: 1938006403
Additional Information: Paul

Rosella Marks
Estimated birth year: abt 1938
Race: White
Birthplace: Ohio
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1940: Massillon, Stark, Ohio
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: Parkview St Ne
House Number: 836
Sheet Number: 1B
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: None
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Paul Marks 25
Dorothy Marks 25
Rosella Marks 2
Patricia Ann Marks

Name: Paul Marks
Birth Year: abt 1915
Relation to Head of House: Son
Homemaker?: Yes
Home in 1930: Canton, Stark, Ohio, USA
Map of Home: View Map
Street address: Alexander Pl. N.E.
Ward of City: Second
Block: 700
House Number: 734
Dwelling Number: 64
Family Number: 67
Attended School: Yes
Able to Read and Write: Yes
Father's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Able to Speak English: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Iva M Evers 38
Harold E Marks 20
Grace Boyd 19
Paul Marks 15
Theodore Boyd

Name: Iva Mae Keim
Birth Date: abt 1890
Marriage Date: 5 Nov 1908
Marriage Place: Stark, Ohio, USA
Father: Jacob Keim
Mother: Callie Snyder
Spouse: Homer H Marks

Name: Iva Keim
Birth Date: May 1891
Home in 1900: Nimishillen, Stark, Ohio
House Number: 289
Sheet Number: 25B
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 302
Family Number: 403
Father's name: Jacob S Keim
Father's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother's name: Callie Keim
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Household Members:
Name Age
Jacob S Keim 37
Callie Keim 35
Charles Keim 12
Ella Keim 11
Iva Keim 9
Ray Keim 6

https://images.findagrave.com/photos...1619240047.jpg
Jacob S “Jake” Keim

Birth 21 Mar 1863 Holmes County, Ohio, USA
Death 1 Sep 1940 Stark County, Ohio, USA
Burial Center Church of the Brethren Cemetery Louisville, Stark County, Ohio, USA
Memorial ID 66795164

Farmer, joined Center Church by letter June 18, 1904
Family Members
Spouse

Caroline Snyder Keim

1864–1949

Children

Ella Keim Stermer*

1888–1981

Erma Marie Keim*

Rosella father--
Name: Paul Jacob Marks
Birth Date: 13 Oct 1914
Birth Place: Stark County, Ohio, United States of America
Death Date: 18 Jul 1980
Death Place: Canton, Stark County, Ohio, United States of America
Cemetery: Sunset Hills Burial Park
Burial or Cremation Place: Canton, Stark County, Ohio, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Spouse: Dorothy Rose Harbold

Mother's maiden name--Stephan

-----
from find a grave--
Dorothy Rose McConnell Harbold

Birth 25 Jan 1915 Massillon, Stark County, Ohio, USA
Death 26 May 1995 Holmes County, Ohio, USA
Burial Killbuck Cemetery Killbuck, Holmes County, Ohio, USA
GPS Latitude: 40.49477, Longitude: -81.98004
Memorial ID 150730342

Memorial
Photos 1
Flowers 1

Dorothy Rose was born in Stark County, Massillon, Ohio on January 25, 1915, the daughter of Amos A. McConnell and Frances C. Rost. She had one brother and one sister. Looks as though she was married twice, as her name appears as Marks and Harbold in several areas. She died a widow, in a long-Term-Care facility in Holmes County, Ohio May 26, 1999.
Family Members
Spouses

Ralph E. Harbold

1903–1966

Paul Jacob Marks*

1914–1980

-------
Social Security record:

Name: Dorothy Rose Marks
[Dorothy Rose Harbold]
[Dorothy Harbold]
[Dorothy Rose McConnell]
Birth Date: 25 Jan 1915
Birth Place: Massillon St, Ohio
Death Date: 26 May 1995
Father: Amos A McConnell
Mother: Frances C Rost
SSN: 296245243
Disability Status: Disability denied - no record of type.
Notes: Sep 1944: Name listed as DOROTHY ROSE MARKS; Feb 1964: Name listed as DOROTHY ROSE HARBOLD; 29 Jun 1995: Name listed as DOROTHY R HARBOLD

-----
more info for Paul Marks--Rosella father
Name: Paul Stephan Marks
[Paul S Marks]
Birth Date: 25 Jun 1914
Birth Place: Massillon, Ohio
Death Date: 14 Apr 1997
Father: Edward J Marks
Mother: Dora Stephan
SSN: 280091173
Notes: Nov 1936: Name listed as PAUL STEPHAN MARKS; 22 Apr 1997: Name listed as PAUL S MARKS

Last edited by historyfan; 12-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-24-2017, 01:22 PM

I dug deeper and the above Rosella E Marks attended Catholic grade school. I'm sorry but it doesn't look like she is the correct Rosella E Marks.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:31 PM

new lead, this makes better sense

Rosaline Marks
Estimated birth year: abt 1937
Home in 1940: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: East 88th Street
Inferred Residence in 1935: Lorain, Ohio
Residence in 1935: Lorain, Ohio
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Sheet Number: 8A
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: None
Household Members:
Name Age
David Marks 31 manager shoe store, born new york
Ethel Marks 29 born new york
Toby Marks 6 daug
Rosaline Marks 3 daug

---Marriage record Ohio
Name: David J Marks
Birth Date: abt 1910
Marriage Date: 7 Dec 1930
Marriage Place: Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Father: Morris Marks
Mother: Rose Rosenberg
Spouse: Ethel Schenker
Film Number: 001901663

Yes, here is Jewish marriages record extract, Ohio
Name: David J. Marks
Estimated birth year: abt 1908
Birth Location: New York City
Residence Location: Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Mother: Rose Rosenberg
Father: Morris Marks
Spouse: Ethel Schenker
Marriage Performed By: Jacob Klein
Volume/Page: 163/407
----
Marriage record
Name: Toby Lila Marks
Birth Date: abt 1934
Marriage Date: 10 Sep 1953
Father: Dave Marks
Mother: Ethel Schenker
Spouse: Lloyd Wasserman
Film Number: 002251961

-----
Name: Ethel Schenker
Birth Date: abt 1910
Father: Louis
Mother: Rosie Goldman
Spouse: David J Marks
Film Number: 001901663

Social Security
index
Name: Ethel Marks
SSN: 298-24-1026
Last Residence:
12498 Woodstock, Ulster, New York, USA
BORN: 6 Dec 1910
Died: 20 Jan 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951)

Last edited by historyfan; 12-24-2017 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: supporting info

Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Hi and thanks for reading! I am searching for my birth mother who is Jewish and from Ohio and born between June and September 1938. I believe her maiden name is MARKS and has the initial E as her 1st or middle name. Possible Rosella E Marks. I was born Sept 8, 1958 in Staten Island New York and adopted through the Louise Wise adoption agency. My bio fathers name is Anthony Capobianco.

Does anyone have any idea who this may be?

Thank you!

Liz Heath
Hi Liz, do you watch Long Lost Family? NY is the state of secrets. They do not release records so DNA may be your best bet. I have a tutorial on how to take your DNA from ancestry or 23 and me then upload your DNA to My Heritage and GEDmatch for free ethnicity and family matches and FTDNA for free family matching. I suggest Ancestry because they're the easiest to connect DNA to a tree which is in my tutorial. While your brother was on ancestry, someone from your moms family may be on one of the other sites.

Have you registered on adoption reunion? That's where I found my brother. I have a tutorial for that too. My brother couldn't be found using the state, just his DOB and male because he didn't fill out the form correctly which cost us a few years.

//www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-26-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:39 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:

Thanks... LIz
I see you ordered your non ID info, did you register with the registry? I'm going to paste in the link in case someone else needs NY info. Also going to paste in parts of my blog

Access to Adoption Records in New York State
New York State will provide some adoption information from the adoption records to the adoptee upon registration even if a match is not made if requested:

Medical Information: Birth parents can give medical and psychological information to the Registry any time after the adoption. If the adoptee is already registered, the information will be shared with him or her. If the adoptee is not registered, the information will be kept until the adoptee registers. Medical information updates must be certified by a licensed health care provider. Any medical information already submitted by birth parents will be given shortly after an adoptee registers
Non-identifying Information: Also known as “non ID”; this information can include a birth parents general appearance, religion, ethnicity, race, education, occupation, if known. The name of the agency that arranged the adoption, and the facts and circumstances relating to the nature and cause of the adoption can also be convey, again, if available. It can take at least six months to obtain general non-identifying information. While there is no fee to register with the Adoption Registry, some adoption agencies charge up to $50 to provide non-identifying information to the Adoption Registry. The adoptee must pay any agency fee.

How to Register with the New York State Adoption Registry

To register, you must submit a signed and notarized application. If you are registering as the Adoptee or as a Biological Sibling of an Adoptee, you must include a photocopy of your current birth certificate including parents’ names. Down your application as a PDF document from the choices listed below:

Adoptee Registration Form
Birth Parent Registration Form
Biological Sibling Registration Form

Fill out the needed information, compile the documentation and send to:

Adoption Information Registry,
New York State Department of Health,
P.O. Box 2602,
Albany, NY 12220-2602

The most important site to register on is Adoption Reunion Registry. Make sure you do not lose your log in info & be sure to keep your info current.

Do a search on Adoption reunion registry. Try your search different ways; 1st would be gender; DOB; birth place. Do not select *searching for
If there are no matches; start by removal of gender; then removal of birth place

Adoption Reunion also has a message board. The main board is Search & Reunion. There are various ways to search there. By state; by Agency or Maternity Home; by year; also International Search & Reunion

ADOPTION REUNION WEB SITES-

ISSR - International Soundex Reunion Registry - is the oldest registry; started way back in the days before there was an Internet, so it has a lot of entries. Download the form; send via snail mail to register. ISRR allows any family member to register including aunts, uncles, cousins.. Other registries are pretty limiting to parents and siblings.

G'S Adoption Registry
Troys List
FARR - Florida Adoption Reunion Registry - Fees: one time fee of $35 unless proof of financial hardship (i.e. eligibility for unemployment, SSI, public assistance, etc.) In these cases fees may be waived. $10 fee to update information
adopting back web site
You can also try a Family Search. See sample search results for Event: Birth, Place: Miami Florida, Event Range: 1950-1950, Country:United States

Facebook related - There are many adoption related pages and groups on FB, here are a few to start you off

DNA Detectives if doing DNA.
FIND ME I AM ADOPTED

Adopting back our children / Adoptees Terminating Our Adoptions

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 14,225 times
Thanks to all of you that read and took an interest in helping me. I actually DID find my bio- mother and family through help from a search angel on the adoption data base. Turns out her name was (she is deceased) Arlyne Marks. I have been in contact with my new found Aunt and cousins. My search, after 59 years , is finally over. Good luck to all who are still searching. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search