Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,384 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into my geneology and have been told that my grandmother's family lived in Melrose Wisconsin during the early 1900's My Grandmothers name was Maude Smith who while visiting in Alabama married a Fate Hester. She had a brother named George Smith who was a baker in Melrose or the surrounding area during the 1920's-1940's Does anyone know about these people? You can e-mail me at revrehester@yahoo.com Thank You,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,352,409 times
I see you are already searching and building a family tree on Ancestry.com.
If I might make a suggestion... if you search "Fayett Hester" and "LaFayette Hester" matching the 1887-88 birth date and you will find more information on "Fate" and his ancesters.

Also note that his wife (your grandmother) is listed in the census as "Maud," not "Maude," so search "Maud Hester" and "Maud Smith" with her birth date of 1894 and you should be able to find her siblings' names and birthdays in the 1900 census. Then check the 1910 census using her parents' names for the search to find any later-born siblings. Once you find the brother's correct name and birthdate, you can search for him in the 1920 and 1930 census in Wisconsin.

With so many Maude and Maud Smiths, as well as George Smiths, it's easy to segue off on the wrong line, so always back trace each piece of info to see if it leads back to the common parent. And keep in mind the census-takers make mistakes, too, but if you cross-check and backtrace everything, you'll stay on track in spite of the spelling and date errors they make.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,384 times
Thanks hgcCali, I've tried it both ways. I have her parents, but can't seem to trace beyond her dad on his side. Plus, all her info points to Illinois, but traditional family stories are about Melrose wisconsin. I was hoping maybe someone from that area might be a part of her family and shed some light on her conection with that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search