Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,227 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a regular full-time employee of a large company in California. I work from home for them and live full-time in a state which does not have income tax. Do I pay taxes on the income based on my employer's location? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
You will need to file a non-resident California return and pay income tax on income sourced to that state. If your home state imposes an income tax, you would have to file tax returns in both states, but you would be entitled to a credit for tax due in your home state for taxes paid to the other. Since your home state does not impose an income tax, you will only owe tax to the state of California.

Some states have reciprocity with neigboring states that allow you to only be required to file in your home state. This doesn't appear to apply to your situation, since your home state does not impose an income tax.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
One of the question is your "Large" company really based in Calf? Where are they Incorporated? Most are "based" in delaware, A great state for Corporation to be 'based' in. Your HR / Payroll software sould be able to Base you in your Home State. (I note you post to the Vancover list alot). If you are in Canada it may be different.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM

430 posts, read 1,695,227 times
Yes, my company is based in San Francisco. I wonder why they just couldn't stop deducting California income tax since they know I'm not in California. Guess it doesn't work that way. At any rate, I got a nice refund from CA. My understanding is there isn't supposed to be a big delay on state returns as there is going to be on the federal refunds? I'm used to getting my refund direct deposited within 10 days and am disappointed that won't be happening until probably at least late Feb. :-(

Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I'm used to getting my refund direct deposited within 10 days and am disappointed that won't be happening until probably at least late Feb. :-(
If you itemize, you need to wait to file until February anyway.

USA Today - Taxpayers who itemize have to wait until February to file

"The delay is necessary because the IRS needs time to program its systems to accommodate tax breaks included in a compromise tax bill President Obama signed last week."

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,421 times
If you aren't working in CA at all, your employer should not be withholding CA taxes. State taxes are based on where you WORK, not live unless that state has a reciprocity agreement with another state(s)

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
Found this:

Sourcing of wages for telecommuting employees.—As more employers utilize employees who telecommute from their homes in another state, either on a full-time or part-time basis, issues relating to which state may tax what portion of these employees' wages become more prevalent. Absent a compact between states regarding the sourcing of wages of each other's residents, the states use one of two tests to source wages of telecommuting employees: the physical presence test or the convenience/necessity test.
Under the physical presence test, employee income is allocated to the employee's location at the time the work was performed. For example, an employee who works from his home in State A two days a week, and from his employer's office in State B three days a week, would have 40% of his income sourced to State A and 60% of his income sourced to State B.
Under the convenience/necessity test, all employee income is allocated to the employer's location unless the employee is able to prove that she performed her work away from the employer's location due to employer necessity, rather than employee convenience.
Only four states (New York, New Jersey, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania) utilize the convenience/necessity test.

Last edited by janetvj; 01-25-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 44,499 times
Same case here, I am home based in FL and work for a company based in CT. The work is done in FL and abroad. I visit the CT location once every quarter. I consulted with several people , including someone who works for a payroll processing company and said that I should not pay CT taxes. Since FL is no tax state I should not be paying state tax at all.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 35,915 times
Default Just don't get it

My husband works from our home in AZ for a company that has three corporate locations; 1 in NY, 1 in NC and 1 in CO. When he was hired, he was hired through the NC location, worked for 1 week in the CO location in 2010 and has worked from home ever since. He has not gone to any of the locations for over a year. His employer pays his state income tax to NC and refuses to change it to AZ which is our state of residence.
We have tried several times to change the allocation of the state taxes. The employer states they will only pay the state income tax to one of the three locations in which they are based; thereby forcing us to file additional returns and pay more in taxes than we should be paying.
I am confused as to the legality of this. How can an employer do this and what can an employee do about it? I see this becoming more and more prevelant as companies move to alternate work stations but fail to understand why the employee should be in this situation. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Why not call your attorney generals office since if the compny is doing it incorrectly that is who will enforce it on them in the end.I know one person who does the same and his employer takes no state taxes out and he files it himself as if he were self employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance