Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,409,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Too bad your wrong. (See above post)
I am wrong that there are people who prefer working for the state?
Whatever you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Whatever you say.
Are you REALLY that unable to follow a conversation?
That explains ALOT!

Allow me to bring you up to speed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent
State jobs are not necessarily suckey. The $ may not be as good, but as I said, they say the hours, job security, and vacation time are superior.
Quote:
I'd say some are, and some arn't.
It STILL is nothing but a tangent.

Oh, you missed a post.

Quote:
If you say something foolish you can usually expect to get called on it.

Quote:
Too bad your wrong. (See above post)
Quote:
Whatever you say.
Perhaps if you were able to follow a simple conversation this would be clearer to you...

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 AM

964 posts, read 3,163,274 times
ok, there's no denying it. This guy is obviously a troll, that or just someone with too much time on their hands.

Guy, I don't think we can make it any clearer for you - you do not know what you are talking about.

And to answer your question, yes I know of Prichard, Alabama. But you apparently don't. The city has all kinds of troubled history from its crime up to its financial problems.

That being said, I never said all government jobs were great. Obviously a city government job will vary depending on what city you are in, but still, that doesn't change the original idea that a government job(especially with the federal gov't) is a lot better than a pvt sector job in a lot of cases.

And state government jobs are actually pretty good as well. They offer a ton of benefits and job security that you sometimes can not find in a similar job in the pvt sector.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,409,393 times
This is all way off topic from the concept of paying off student loans early or not.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
ok, there's no denying it. This guy is obviously a troll, that or just someone with too much time on their hands.

Guy, I don't think we can make it any clearer for you - you do not know what you are talking about.

And to answer your question, yes I know of Prichard, Alabama. But you apparently don't. The city has all kinds of troubled history from its crime up to its financial problems.

That being said, I never said all government jobs were great. Obviously a city government job will vary depending on what city you are in, but still, that doesn't change the original idea that a government job(especially with the federal gov't) is a lot better than a pvt sector job in a lot of cases.

And state government jobs are actually pretty good as well. They offer a ton of benefits and job security that you sometimes can not find in a similar job in the pvt sector.
insomnia... But interestingly you seem to have just as much time on your hands!

Yes, I don't know what I'm talking about... Student loans are a necessity even though I and many others have no need of them

And I don't know anything (Obviously) about Prichard, even though I was Stationed In Mobile for a time...

And I said 'some' government jobs were better...

Don't talk to me about government insurance... I just got back from Physical Therapy. The USMC retirement portion of my income is about equal to my monthly medical bills. (And I use both Tricare and my VA options)

MaseMan: your right, in short: All debt is bad. I recommend you avoid if possible, and divest yourself of it as rapidly as feasible.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,333,048 times
There is nothing wrong with taking out student loans as part of strategy to pay for college. Most people do it nowadays. And for those who choose to pursue graduate studies, particularly advanced professional degrees like an MBA, MPA, JD or MD, it's almost unheard of to not have loans anymore. A JD/MBA program from a good school can cost over $200,000 without factoring in living expenses. And JD programs forbid students to work in the first year and then limit them to 20 hours per week in the subsequent years. So unless your parent are loaded, you are borrowing money. No two ways around it.

My only advice to people who face this decision is to be sure that you are picking a degree program that will empower you to pay back the money you borrowed. Going $150,000 in debt for a PhD in Germanic Literature might not make sense. But taking on that debt for a MD or JD might make perfect sense.

That being said. If the OP can pay the loans off I would recommend doing so. Carrying debt when avoidable is never a good idea in my opinion. Pay the loans off and pay yourself the interest. Good luck with your career and all the best!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,409,393 times
If you take out $200,000 in student loans, you better be damn well sure you're going to finish and be making at least six figures right after graduating. Otherwise you'll be screwed for many years to come.

I know there are work programs out there for people pursuing medical degrees and such. I think many don't explore them, though and just accept, "Well, you gotta have student loans...".

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,525,504 times
Wow, what a riduculous and judgmental thread. The fact of the matte is, Everybody's situation is different. I am 34 and started school last year. With a small student loan, combined with a grant, i am able to go to school. People have family's, kids, debt, full time jobs, or many other reasons that they just can't pay the extra 2000 dollars in tuition and books, for school. The whole point is to not loan too much money so when you graduate, your payoff amount is too much for you to handle. If you going to be a Nurse Anesthesiologist and make 130 grand per year vs a HS teacher making 30 grand a year. Also explore options like Community Colleges. Many people I come across refuse to go to a community college. Why? It is cheaper and you can transfer to a 4 year. Just be smart with your loans, that all.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,969,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow, what a riduculous and judgmental thread. The fact of the matte is, Everybody's situation is different. I am 34 and started school last year. With a small student loan, combined with a grant, i am able to go to school. People have family's, kids, debt, full time jobs, or many other reasons that they just can't pay the extra 2000 dollars in tuition and books, for school. The whole point is to not loan too much money so when you graduate, your payoff amount is too much for you to handle. If you going to be a Nurse Anesthesiologist and make 130 grand per year vs a HS teacher making 30 grand a year. Also explore options like Community Colleges. Many people I come across refuse to go to a community college. Why? It is cheaper and you can transfer to a 4 year. Just be smart with your loans, that all.
I know. Better to just answer the question.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM

964 posts, read 3,163,274 times
Well put. I feel bad for feeding him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance