Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,669,912 times

Advertisements

Free checking, RIP. It was nice while it lasted.

Reversing a trend that began in the mid-1990s, big banks are imposing new fees on their least-profitable customers — those who want just a bare-bones checking account.

Free checking, banks: Big banks bringing back fees on basic checking accounts - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,141,538 times
Credit unions.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 AM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
Lots of local and regional banks are taking advantage of this and offering what the big banks are getting rid of. Pretty easy to move on.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 AM

964 posts, read 3,163,570 times
Wait, they were free? News to me.

Seriously though, I'm already looking at a credit union right now. For all I care, the banks can choke up and close for all i care.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM

823 posts, read 2,218,147 times
I wouldn't say this is news. Some media outlet or another "discovers" this every few weeks.

Look, this isn't Internet service where you are limited to one or two options based on where you live, there are tons (TONS) of banks (regional banks, local banks, community banks, online banks) and credit unions that you can join. Some of them even let you deposit checks online by scanning them or taking a picture of them with your cell phone. Not to mention a lot of these places pay some interest on your checking account no matter how small the balance.

Honestly, I can only think of a few reasons to stick with a mega bank:

- You or your family works there. I get it, support your company.
- You have all of your accounts (mortgage, credit cards, investments, etc) there. Yeah, ok convenience has value but with so much competition out there you are probably throwing money away by doing this.
- You have a lot of recurring auto payments setup through this account/your debit card. Yeah, there is some work involved. Really though, I am not a fan of recurring payments. Too easy for the vendor to *********.

Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all financial institution. However, here are some recommendations....

- You or someone in your family is current/ex military:
USAA http://www.usaa.com . Refunds ATM fees, deposit checks by cell phone/scanner

- You don't qualify for all of USAA's features, but the idea of scanning checks appeals to you
Alliant Credit Union Alliant Credit Union - A large fee free ATM network, check scanning

- You do your investing at Schwab, Fidelity or eTrade.
Schwab, Fidelity and eTrade offer compelling checking products with ATM refunds, free deposit envelopes and a small bit of interest on your balance.

- You absolutely have to have a physical branch to visit.
Find a credit union - Find a Credit Union

Don't just settle for one near you if it doesn't meet your needs. Many large credit union (but not Alliant) participate in shared branching that lets you do most activities at other credit unions.

This comes up often enough I think it may be worthwhile to have a sticky where we talk about alternatives.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,436,576 times
Wow...people still write checks? I haven't written a check in over 10 years.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,644,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Free checking, RIP. It was nice while it lasted.

Reversing a trend that began in the mid-1990s, big banks are imposing new fees on their least-profitable customers — those who want just a bare-bones checking account.

Free checking, banks: Big banks bringing back fees on basic checking accounts - latimes.com
I hope this is the first step to getting rid of this huge influence banks have on the world. Lets see how many people will pay to have an account and use their intangible products.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM

My checking at Hell's Fargo says Free Checking right now. But I am keeping watch like a hawk.

Excellent post Pete, just what I needed.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
It may get back to when even crdit union required a certain deposit amount in shares or later being a senior citizen.My credit union does not of as right now but i remmeber when it was true.Really no matter what we think nothig is really free;some pays.Just as crdit cards are now trying to get rid of custmers whose account is not worth the service fee.Alot of chnages coming really.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 PM

It's what happens when regulation come into play. The only effective way to end the reign of terror on the banks is to stop giving them service and start standing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance