Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It is a large check written by a business that I don't deal with anymore. I'm going to my bank tomorrow to seek their advice. It's not like me to hold on to checks at all. I will make a special trip to the bank just for one check normally. I'm thinking that there was some extenuating circumstance where the business asked me not to cash it and receive a check from an insurance carrier (the originating payor) instead. It's taught me a lesson, that's for sure.

I worked in banking for 8 years...unless the check specifically says a date/amount of time then it is only good for 6 months then it is stale dated. Most banks will not knowingly let it run through. If by some chance the bank doesn't catch the date and does let it pay, the payer can dispute the check due to it being over the time frame, then the bank will then debit your account for the funds, whether you have the money or not. So best option would be to just not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I worked in banking for 8 years...unless the check specifically says a date/amount of time then it is only good for 6 months then it is stale dated. Most banks will not knowingly let it run through. If by some chance the bank doesn't catch the date and does let it pay, the payer can dispute the check due to it being over the time frame, then the bank will then debit your account for the funds, whether you have the money or not. So best option would be to just not do it.
But you're assuming that there is something wrong with me cashing the check, aren't you? I'm not sure what the circunstances are, why I did not cash the check at the time. there might have been a good reason. If the check should have been cashed, then I don't see how there would be a problem. If there is a "stop" on the check, then it simply won't go thru.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
But you're assuming that there is something wrong with me cashing the check, aren't you? I'm not sure what the circunstances are, why I did not cash the check at the time. there might have been a good reason. If the check should have been cashed, then I don't see how there would be a problem. If there is a "stop" on the check, then it simply won't go thru.
Stops expire, unless the person places a hard stop which costs a lot. people just trust the bank to not let a stale dated check go through.... what people don't think about is the sheer numbers of checks that are processed. I haven't been in banking since 1998, and we had a 25K limit on checking signatures.

We didn't even look at them... so all the people that had two signature required checks were on the honor system. Add to the honor system the fact that a large number of customers don't even look at statements or balance their checkbooks in any way... it's a system that is fraught with things that can go wrong.

In your case -- I'd contact the company that wrote the check and see if they would reissue a check to you. You would be amazed at the number of times this happens....

Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Stops expire, unless the person places a hard stop which costs a lot. people just trust the bank to not let a stale dated check go through.... what people don't think about is the sheer numbers of checks that are processed. I haven't been in banking since 1998, and we had a 25K limit on checking signatures.

We didn't even look at them... so all the people that had two signature required checks were on the honor system. Add to the honor system the fact that a large number of customers don't even look at statements or balance their checkbooks in any way... it's a system that is fraught with things that can go wrong.

In your case -- I'd contact the company that wrote the check and see if they would reissue a check to you. You would be amazed at the number of times this happens....
I finally went to the bank of the check writer yesterday. She said that it was stale dated and offered to call the 2 people that were listed as the check writers on the account. He was out of town. I'm probably just going to show up in person.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
I finally went to the bank of the check writer yesterday. She said that it was stale dated and offered to call the 2 people that were listed as the check writers on the account. He was out of town. I'm probably just going to show up in person.
Look, forget about it. I know, that I never wait around to cash my checks when I get them. I'm sure you are the same. Unless you are loaded with cash and forget to cash a check given to you. I know you want this money really bad and the times are hard.
Anyways, keep us updated.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,438 times
Happy I found this thread. I actually found a check today that is 2 years old and I never received it because it came in the mail and my mother and sister when I was living with them at the time, never gave it to me or rather forgot to give it to me. The check is issued by Pfizer and was made to be cashed at Wells Fargo for the amount 135 dollars. Sure, its 135 and isn't a tremendous amount by any means but I'm not rich and 135 can help me do some groceries right about now and a little bit more.

So, what can I do about this? I'm thinking of going to Wells Fargo tomorrow or Pfizer Headquarters and seeing if I can cash the check. Since its only 135 I'm hoping Pfizer wouldn't mind since they wipe their a$$ with that amount of money and 135 bucks is only a sheet of toilet paper to them.

Anyone know what I can do? And if I can still cash the check?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Happy I found this thread. I actually found a check today that is 2 years old and I never received it because it came in the mail and my mother and sister when I was living with them at the time, never gave it to me or rather forgot to give it to me. The check is issued by Pfizer and was made to be cashed at Wells Fargo for the amount 135 dollars. Sure, its 135 and isn't a tremendous amount by any means but I'm not rich and 135 can help me do some groceries right about now and a little bit more.

So, what can I do about this? I'm thinking of going to Wells Fargo tomorrow or Pfizer Headquarters and seeing if I can cash the check. Since its only 135 I'm hoping Pfizer wouldn't mind since they wipe their a$$ with that amount of money and 135 bucks is only a sheet of toilet paper to them.

Anyone know what I can do? And if I can still cash the check?
Not sure why you are resurrecting a two-year-old thread to ask this question, again?

As several respondents stated back in 2011; checks are only good for six months.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Not sure why you are resurrecting a two-year-old thread to ask this question, again?

As several respondents stated back in 2011; checks are only good for six months.
Yes, I know they're good for only 6 months, however I done further research and I learned that there's loopholes to cashing the check and its more flexible if its a check from a corporation, not personal check.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Yes, I know they're good for only 6 months, however I done further research and I learned that there's loopholes to cashing the check and its more flexible if its a check from a corporation, not personal check.
So then you already know those loopholes.... ??? Please share, in case this comes up again.
AFAIK... 6 months is it.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Quote:
Do you have cites or links for your statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance