Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay or move?
Stay in Chicago. Work my stinky job, but be with family, friends. 2 16.67%
Move to DFW. May not need to work, but be lonely. 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM

13 posts, read 35,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I stopped working full-time when I was 29 and pregnant with my first child. It worked out fine, but I wasn't running away from a miserable job. Rather I was embracing a new role, and it concerns me that you're so negative about your job situation. You're still very young, and your perspective might change dramatically given a new position.

I don't feel comfortable telling you what to do, but I do suggest taking ample time to consider how you see your life playing out over the next decade. If your future Dallas dream home includes children, think about what kind of role you want your extended family to play in your life. As someone who has moved from one end of the country to the other and back again during the last decade, I'd like to share that it can be very difficult to be young parents far from a familial support system. After ten years of frequent plane trips, which are not easy with children, we made one final move to be near my spouse's parents. Our relationship with them is far from perfect, but I honestly wish we had done it years ago.
I hear you 100%.

We want to be near our parents but our jobs in Illinois would be compromising. As you know, I don't really like my job. My husband also feels like a job here would be a compromise for him considering the highly litigious state and the lower pay. But our family is here.

It's a tough decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy323 View Post
I think that we can find criticisms in everything that we do or set out to do. For every great kid who comes out of a poor home, there's a great kid who comes out of a richer home. For every happy couple in a not so costly living environment, there's a happy couple in a more costly living environment.

This thread is not about whether or not we "should" be able to live off a lower income level or whether we should be ashamed that we choose not to live off of 250K. Can we? Sure we can. We've lived on a small income for some time now and if we do not re-adjust our living accommodations or expectations, we can live off his income. Living off of his income would require that we would not be able to be debt free by age 40. We would not be able to pay off the student loans quickly, nor would we be able to pay the house off in less than 10 years. We can extend everything to 30 years pay off and we can easily live off his income - but he'd like to cut back on his work hours by mid-40s as well.

We want to be financially stable as soon as possible, be debt-free as soon as possible and that's why the plan is to earn atleast 350K because of what we have calculated.

The question of this thread remains:

If you were given the chance to not "have" to work and be able to pursue other interests, would you? The only catch is that we'd have to move to do so.
i would be out of there so fast, my head would be spinning....

you are both young, have highly portable credentials and no real "home responsibilities" ..... THIS is the time to get out and see the world and only then decide where you want to settle permanently.... there are a lot of flights in and out of chicago EVERY SINGLE DAY... between that and the telephone and the internet, you can remain in quite close contact with family.....

if dallas doesn't work out, so what.... who's to say you can't try another city or even come back to illinois.....

and i would just about sell my soul to not have to work to support myself, therefore, having the time to pursue activities that interest me and bring me joy.... you are a fortunate young woman in many ways.....

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,564,165 times
Moving is stressful but also energizing and refreshing! If you can fly home once and a while, skype and talk on the phone often, then family is rarely missed. I love getting to know a new area, meeting new people and doing new things. Remaining in Chicago where things are stale and your job stinks would have you always wondering "what if?" so make the move!!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

13 posts, read 35,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i would be out of there so fast, my head would be spinning....

you are both young, have highly portable credentials and no real "home responsibilities" ..... THIS is the time to get out and see the world and only then decide where you want to settle permanently.... there are a lot of flights in and out of chicago EVERY SINGLE DAY... between that and the telephone and the internet, you can remain in quite close contact with family.....

if dallas doesn't work out, so what.... who's to say you can't try another city or even come back to illinois.....

and i would just about sell my soul to not have to work to support myself, therefore, having the time to pursue activities that interest me and bring me joy.... you are a fortunate young woman in many ways.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Moving is stressful but also energizing and refreshing! If you can fly home once and a while, skype and talk on the phone often, then family is rarely missed. I love getting to know a new area, meeting new people and doing new things. Remaining in Chicago where things are stale and your job stinks would have you always wondering "what if?" so make the move!!
Thanks so much guys... it's nice to read others' opinions on this.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,513,015 times
Move. Life is short go take a risk.

BTW my father came home from an interview and "informed" my Connecticut born and raised mother that they were moving to Dallas(in the late 70s). The story goes that she didn't speak to my Dad for a week and literally sat on the floor in the Dallas airport and cried.

Fast forward 8yrs and we moved from Dallas as a family (I was 6) to the Midwest and then internationally. Every place we lived I had to deal with the humiliation of the Texas State flag flying from our house. It still flies at their home now in South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance