Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,733,812 times

Advertisements

There were 157 U.S. bank failures last year, which sounds like another bad year for American banks until you realize that more than half of those failures--89 of them--occurred in just five states. In contrast, twenty states had no bank failures at all. Clearly, banking is much more dangerous in some states than in others.

The most dangerous states for banking - FoxBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,265,011 times
Clearly, (again), Fox News leaps to a logically inconsistent conclusion. They think their viewers are so stupid (they are right, by the way) that they assume that if two things are both true, one must be the cause of the other.

It is not necessarily true that a few more bank closings in a certain state have any causation in the fact that they do business in that particular state. In a large sample, one might be more inclined to look for causation, but the number of bank closings in each state can be counted on one hand, and banks close for a complex aggregate of reasons, the state of residence unlikely to be a significant one of them.

"Evidently, some or all of the above local factors may have played a role." Sorry, Fox News, you've discovered no evidence of that at all. Go back to reporting. We'll decide.

"The best defense for residents of those states might be to look for a national bank with an out-of-state headquarters."
In other words, the sky is falling, so get your money out of your local bank, and put it in the big national banks, whose commercials are running on this network, and help the local banks in your state fail. Now, there's cause and effect.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-10-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,960,852 times
I think it's a case of over-generalizing. As long as your own bank is solid, it matters little what the failure rate is in your particular state. One can check on various banks, including many local ones, on bankrate.com and also another site whose name I've forgotten. I'm not the only one who has removed much of my banking business from the mega-banks in protest of their sleazy role in our economic meltdown of 2007. Of course that wouldn't have made sense if I had gone to a local bank which was about to fail, so I checked out some local banks on the two websites before making any changes.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,099,400 times
I thnik it does say alot abot just where the lcoal economy s goig tho when lookig at bank failures. Its like whiching where the special tax enties filures that have outstanding bonds with project will occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance