Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM

356 posts, read 834,158 times

Advertisements

if i had found a job close to home i definitely would have stayed for at least 1-2 years after college so i could pay down my student loans (graduated 73K in debt). But alas I'm 7hrs away in a high COL area and, even though I make well above average, my loans have unfortunately taken a back seat to the ridiculously high rent. Still paying them down, but much slower than I could have if I'd had the luxury of living at home for a few years after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
You guys need to get with the program. America is changing, and not for the better. Homesteading and multi-generational households are not a product of moral bankruptcy or laziness, but rather economic necessity. In order for the subsequent generation to match the parent's generation access to income and capitalizing on said income, when normalized year to year versus when their parents were that age, will require that the latter generation get subsidized in one of the big three (housing, education or healtchare).Otherwise as a collective, they're behind. And this generation was not educated under an education system that prepared them to accept that they'll work harder to attain lesser material comfort. This is a sticking point that's not going away. They'll bury themselves in debt before stoically accepting the downgraded expectations. So some get creative and use the access to housing subsidy in order to bridge the gap. Kudos to those honestly. To suggest these folks are merely lazy is disconnected. My experience with boomerang kids of my age is that they're saving like crazy people. This whole "meh, boomerang kids are living high on the hog" is hyperbole that's more representative how my entitlement complex exwife lived under my roof, than how most people who opt to live at home for economic reasons live.

Multi-generational households is just not an 'anglo' thing to do culturally, but it's changing. The economics of this country are pricing young households to fold into the older generation's umbrella. Brazil is upon us.

Will there be places where a young households can live? Sure. It just won't be where most people want to live. But of course, that's also the whiny youngin's fault too, boomers had it uphill both ways right? Pfff. Be glad your children want to be around you, rather than dropping you like the trash when the voting block demographics turn into their favor.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I have no problem with people who have moved back into multigenerational households. As others have said, for many families right now, no matter how hard they try, it is that or be homeless.

But there is a distinct difference between those who have done this from necessity, while still trying to make a life for themselves and those who do this because they are lazy. The people who come down on the former side of the line help with the household they are living in, with labor if they can't help with money. Maybe they do all the household chores and contribute by putting a fresh coat of paint on the fence. Or maybe they can afford to buy the groceries for the household, or pay a utility bill or two.

On the other side are those who take advantage of the person they are living with. They figure that because someone else is paying the mortgage or rent, the utilities, the groceries, etc, that all they have to come up with is spending money. They don't have to help around the house, including their own messes, and they have no respect for those who are kind enough to take them in.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Multi-generational households is just not an 'anglo' thing to do culturally, but it's changing. The economics of this country are pricing young households to fold into the older generation's umbrella. Brazil is upon us.
I get how part of what you say applies to Brazil, but I would add a lack of finance to your story. Kids live at home to save money to buy an apartment, but part of the difficulty in buying a place in Brazil is lack of financing. We are able to finance things much easier in the US than Brazilians are, hence they need to save more to buy a place, hence they need parental support to minimize expenses.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
My parents divorced when I was 13. My mother started asking me for rent at the age of 16. I stayed for another year and then moved out. I figured if I was paying my way then I did not want the added bonus of her telling me what to do. I am in my late 30's and most of the people I know left home quickly after graduating HS. I did move home for 3 months when my husband took a job out of state and I needed a place to stay for transition. Of course it was different I was older, had a child and my mom loved the company. She was very emotional when I moved out. Funny because when I moved out at 17 she didn't bat an eyelash. My husband works with quite a few 25 yr olds. About half of them still live at home and drive BMW's. I want a BMW.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbryan725 View Post
Wanted to see how many of you know people likes this, I am a 25 y/o male I live on my own (Own a condo) and do pretty well for myself, but alot of my friends around my age and some even older 28-30 Instead of saving or choosing to live on their own they stay with mom and dad and almost every bit of their salary goes towards paying for a $40,000-$50,000 car and they are just content to continue living at home rent free as long as they can spending 60% or more of their income on their car and as far as saving money their lucky if they even have $50 bucks left in their account by the end of the month. Just kind of a rant here I wanted to know the logic behind this and also see how many of you out there know people like this.
funny, i was just saying to my wife the other day that the people we know that still live with their parents all have nice cars. my neighbor has 2 daughters, one visits with her honda accord and the other lives at home and drives a bmw. my mom's neighbor is a teacher and she drives a bmw 5 series. a friend lives at home and drives a cadillac.

i told my wife that if we moved back with my dad she can have whatever car she wants.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I bet they all have car payments to go along with those nice cars.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I think the living with mom and dad issue is sort of overblown for this generation.

1st - The job market is completely different than when the baby boomers lived at home. Why compare apples to oranges? Where are all the teenage jobs?

2nd - I don't think kids are really "lazy". If you go to college and you graduated, you aren't really "lazy". There's a difference between being a bum and selling drugs in the basement, vs going to school.

Gen y I think has been unfairly tagged as "lazy".

3rd- The baby boomers aren't the greatest role models on earth ( by and large). So many of them are mixed up on "retirement". Don't know if they want to retire. Hemming and Hawing.

Don't be suprised if that trickles down to the 25 year old gen y'er living with his/her parents.

4th - The housing market is completely whacked. Gen y'ers know a lot of these values are a sham. Comparing the housing market of boomers to now, would be like comparing stepping into 5 feet of water, vs 20 feet.

5th - There's less incentive to move out. In the 60's or 70's, there might not have been anything to do living at home. You want to try something new, go out on your own, etc. Now, why would you do that? You have more conveniences at home. More to do.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

Multi-generational households is just not an 'anglo' thing to do culturally, but it's changing.
It's changing back to multi-generational.

Think 1950's, 1960's, even 1970's.
Before the advent of nursing homes.
Lots of people (anglo, like myself) grew up with Grandma in the house.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I
3rd- The baby boomers aren't the greatest role models on earth ( by and large). So many of them are mixed up on "retirement". Don't know if they want to retire. Hemming and Hawing.
This is really true. The Boomers (in general) turned their noses up at their parents' frugality and decided to live for today. They passed that kind of attitude onto their kids. Now, we're seeing the results of that mentality (financial crisis, lack of retirement savings for Boomeres) and it's ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance