Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,158,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You are the exception. I can't blame the banks for charging the fees. Why should they provide services for you when you cost them money?
How do I cost them money if my money is there? I'm sure they earn something on my money sitting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,825 times
I don't know why anyone is surprised by this.. Its a PUBLIC bank therefore their goal and main objective is to MAKE money, not loose it. If charging a fee for a checking account will make them money - then they will. The consumer - YOU - have free will to take your business elsewhere if you are unhappy with your service..
By taking your business elsewhere that sends a message to the company you "were" doing business with that what they are doing is not acceptable to its consumers.. Now - understanding that you are 1 in a million and you alone don't have the power to change their policies - but a million of YOU do..

Like one poster said - go to a credit union... I won't bank anywhere else.. Free checking, free overdraft protection, better rates on loans, i don't have to press 1 for english or any other number, I can call and actually talk to a person that is in the US.. i really dont understand why anyone would choose not to use a credit union.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Switch to a credit union. You'll have free checking and 10,000 ATMs available to you. Most credit unions are on the coop system, and you can use any credit union ATM, plus any 7-11 ATM, at no charge to you.
I would actually love to go to a credit union, but the only one around here is for teachers.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
How do I cost them money if my money is there? I'm sure they earn something on my money sitting there.
Banks - a public entity have it down to a science that lets them know how much money it costs per transaction via phone, in person, or on the web.
When you use ANY of these options you are actually 'costing' the bank money. (and this is what I HATE about accounting).. then on the flip side they use your money to help generate loans to people which they charge interest on.. so they figure out how much your $100 account costs them over an x period of time.

Banks and ANY company love to push for internet transactions because it doesn't require a warm body to process it. Thus costing them less money.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Banks - a public entity have it down to a science that lets them know how much money it costs per transaction via phone, in person, or on the web.
When you use ANY of these options you are actually 'costing' the bank money. (and this is what I HATE about accounting).. then on the flip side they use your money to help generate loans to people which they charge interest on.. so they figure out how much your $100 account costs them over an x period of time.

Banks and ANY company love to push for internet transactions because it doesn't require a warm body to process it. Thus costing them less money.

Okay, I can understand that actually, but people shouldn't make it make out to be MY fault, or anyone else in my position. I can't force my employer to offer direct deposit.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
I do not understand why anyone would do business with these huge, impersonal banks. Do you enjoy being just a number whom no one gives a flip about? Just try to get a human on the phone at one of them.
I work for a small regional bank which gives personal service and does not charge you for the priviledge of banking with us. If you overdraw your account, the bank manager calls you up. If you can't get to the bank, someone will come and pick up your deposit. When you come in, we give you a cup of coffee and a couple of fresh baked cookies. Of course, we have customers with big bucks, but we also have many regular people and we treat them just the same.
You do not need to be treated like a number. You just need to demand excellence.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

I found a wonderful credit union that I would love to bank with. However, they are 25 minutes away and their hours are when I am at work. If my company offered direct deposit at least I could go on off hours and get money out.

*Out of the ATM

Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,448,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was contacted by Wells Fargo and told there will now be a $ 5 a month checking account fee for maintenance.

If you keep $ 1,500.00 in your checking account, you won't be charged.

If you can get direct deposit with them, no fee.

All they did is copy Chase.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I found a wonderful credit union that I would love to bank with. However, they are 25 minutes away and their hours are when I am at work. If my company offered direct deposit at least I could go on off hours and get money out.

*Out of the ATM
As crazy as this may seem -- have you asked your employer about direct deposit? My husband worked at a couple of places where it was available, but since no one asked for it, no one had it. And consequently, no one knew about it. And when he started it, his coworkers thought he was NUTS for doing it.

That was back in the dark ages, though....

Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As crazy as this may seem -- have you asked your employer about direct deposit? My husband worked at a couple of places where it was available, but since no one asked for it, no one had it. And consequently, no one knew about it. And when he started it, his coworkers thought he was NUTS for doing it.

That was back in the dark ages, though....

Oh yes, many many people have strongly suggested/encouraged it and upper management has even told of how it would save money by not having the payroll company, etc. But the owners won't do it. I know why, I'd just rather not say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance