Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The banks are doing this because they lost BIG.

They sucked us dry for years and now the feeding continues...
Although I wouldn't say it is funny what is going on with people who still do business with a bank, but ironic, because most will *still* do business with a bank when there are credit unions in their area, but they prefer doing business with a bank because they're used to being sucked dry.

I am *SO* glad I dumped any affiliation with *ANY* bank over 3 yrs ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made and I don't regret it one bit.

Whether one does business with Wells Fargo, Chase, BofA, etc. they're all the same. They're in it for the profit and as long as the industry "norm" is raising fees, they'll all do it. Meanwhile, the credit unions are staying strong and look at the % of banks that fail vs. the % of credit unions.

Just sayin'.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The banks are doing this because they lost BIG.

They sucked us dry for years and now the feeding continues...
Yeah, those darn banks.

Let's say we keep an average balance of $1,000 in checking and they make a 2% float off of the money for a gain of $20. In return we want ATM's, free checking and any of the various other services (notary etc.) we want?

If you don't like it, shop around.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Wells Fargo is a horrible bank. Dump them.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Okay, I can understand that actually, but people shouldn't make it make out to be MY fault, or anyone else in my position. I can't force my employer to offer direct deposit.
You are right, they are making it out to be the banks fault or the illimunati etc. if you read some posts.

Sometimes, no one is at fault. A business has to make a profit and people don't want to pay for the service or don't like some aspect and that's just the way things are.

Hey, they discontinued shows I've liked, magazines I liked....I can't find a pinball game I would love to play and they cost $3,000 or more to buy one.

I also long for the days of flying to Florida for <200 round trip but I'm not here blaming the airlines either.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
My Point is: It's about the effects of a Cash Less Society.
Just wait until the government has all the necessary tools in place to track your every move, and then takes steps to gradually impliment there program.
People will start trying to bi pass the government etc. from tracking all there under cover transactions thru electronic means.
Most of these transactions are done now with Cash.
It is done for many reasons such as Taxes, Drug Deals, Money laundering, privacy issues, etc. etc. And it is HUGE.
Think of the Tax and Fee structure when they get total control of all transactions.
With Cash Gone, the small guy for example with what they consider legitimate reasons, will be looking for any viable method to save a buck "off the record".
It won't be bartering with Walgreens.
It will be everything and anything that is "Viable to Barter" in one form or another so as to save the money and eliminate records of transactions of all kinds.
The authorities are setting things up to have complete control of money and records over all situations possible.
They probably would have done this sooner if they had both the technology and inclination in place.
We are not near this senerio yet, but just wait till the time comes that they decide to close the Net.
That is the O.A. goal.
Here lies the english language. RIP.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, those darn banks.

Let's say we keep an average balance of $1,000 in checking and they make a 2% float off of the money for a gain of $20. In return we want ATM's, free checking and any of the various other services (notary etc.) we want?

If you don't like it, shop around.
I am sure they make more than 2%. But it isn't just that. they also make money every time you use your debit card.

And of course the big reason, checking accounts are the gateway drug of the financial world. If you have a checking account at Bank A you are likely to visit Bank A when you need a mortgage or investment accounts. Things that make Bank A a lot more money. Retail banks make a lot of money off of these relationships.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

Who would have envisioned the horrible finacial situation the United States is in today from just 10 years ago.
Lots of us did.

Wanna good reliable test to see if you have a grasp of reality and are seeing things in their proper light?

How often are you surprised by what you hear on the news?

The less often you are surprised, the more you are in touch with the way things are.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
TYo the OP - I know it stinks, but it's better than the $15 my bank charges if you go under the $100 minimum.
Why would you stay with a bank like that!!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I have USAA. There is no better bank. Maybe a credit union could be comparable.
They refund you up to $20 dollars per month in ATM transactions. They also let you deposit all your checks from home by simply using a scanner, or smart phone. There are no holds on checks you deposit. At least it has never been for me. No minimum balances or other fees. i can make bank to bank transfers and the funds are available instantly, no holds. ( again, this is in my case, but I have been with them for 7 years.) EXCELLENT customer service. The best you can ask for.
www.USAA.com

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-21-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Not true.

My company doesn't offer direct deposit and in these tough times I don't always have $1,500 just laying around.

I agree. My bf's company doesn't offer direct deposit, either. He has a good paying job but it's in the hotel industry, and the hotel industry is notoriously crappy about stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance