Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,580,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
never use that card for anything else ,if you do your doomed. interest is charged on your new purchases that you think your paying off in 30 days because any payments only go for the amount you transfered.

its a trap. once you charge anything else the only way to stop the interest on everything but the balance transfer is pay off the entire card.
This is also very useful advice. In the fine print, it usually says that any payments will be applied to the lowest interest rate charges first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,611,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This is also very useful advice. In the fine print, it usually says that any payments will be applied to the lowest interest rate charges first.
yknow it sounds like "what it all boils down to" is simply one company stealing away another's company's customer without anything stellar given to the consumer

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 AM

23 posts, read 80,016 times
Quote:
never use that card for anything else ,if you do your doomed. interest is charged on your new purchases that you think your paying off in 30 days because any payments only go for the amount you transfered.

its a trap. once you charge anything else the only way to stop the interest on everything but the balance transfer is pay off the entire card.
Hi..

What card are you talking about?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanpaul View Post
Hi..

What card are you talking about?
jonathan - any credit card will be this way. That is really, really sound advice.

Balance transfers are a tricky thing. First you have to make sure the fees they will charge for the transfer are worth it - look into what the interest rate will be once the initial "0%" period is over with (if it goes up a lot, it might not be worth it if you don't have the balance paid off in full), and as mentioned, never, never charge anything else on it once you make that transfer.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,955,884 times
Also, try calling... I had a small amount of credit card debt that I wanted to transfer to an old Citibank card I have that was offering a 0% 12 month APR, but it had a 3% fee. I called and got them to only charge me 1% and they upped my 0% for an additional 6 months!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Also, try calling... I had a small amount of credit card debt that I wanted to transfer to an old Citibank card I have that was offering a 0% 12 month APR, but it had a 3% fee. I called and got them to only charge me 1% and they upped my 0% for an additional 6 months!
impressive. you likely have a good fico score. ...i will call tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

is there a way to find out my fico for free

Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,230,372 times
Quote:

Actually that's not the case anymore. There are new laws on the books. Payments are applied to interest first, then the highest-interest balance, then the next-highest interest balance, and so on. But I wouldn't recommend taking too much advantage of that!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,230,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
is there a way to find out my fico for free
No. But you can get a rough idea by checking your info: http://www.annualcreditreport.com/, NOT freecreditreport.com (scam)

Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,580,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
No. But you can get a rough idea by checking your info: http://www.annualcreditreport.com/, NOT freecreditreport.com (scam)
I'm not disagreeing with your advice, which is good, but technically freecreditreport.com is not a scam. It is a for profit business. You CAN get a report for free there, you just have to sign up for a service to get it, which you can then cancel afterwards. They count on people either not reading what they are signing up for, or forgetting to cancel. But technically, it is a legitimate business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance