Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Traditional or Progressive
Progressive - It's just so much more convenient and less of a hassle 19 52.78%
Traditional - Old Habits die hard, Feel more secure 3 8.33%
Middle of the Road - I have a bit of both in me 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times

Advertisements

I'm a totally progressive person, most would consider me a bit of an Early Adopter....Even with my daily finances I am now completely progressive last straw was moving from paper statements in the mail to E-Bills for all bills....I just find the progressive way of banking/transacting more quick convenient and secure IMO

Progressive:

- Uses Plastic (Credit/Debit) instead of Paper (Cash/Checks) 90% of time
- Uses ATM's over Bank Tellers
- Pays all Bills Online or Online Bill Pay including Rent or Mortgage
- Receives all Statements in Electronic format
- Direct Deposit of all Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds)
- Keeps 100$ in cash or less on their person
- E-Tickets everything (Bus, Train, Air)
- Shops Online

Traditional:

- Uses Paper (Cash/Checks) instead of Plastic (Credit/Debit) 90% of time
- Uses a Bank Teller for most transactions
- Still buys stamps and writes checks to pay most Bills
- Continues to receive Paper Statements
- Receives Paper Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds)
- Keeps more than 100$ in Cash on their person
- Books and Pays at the Counter
- Shops in Stores/Person

So which are you????

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-11-2011 at 02:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I'm almost fully progressive since I grew up in times where electronic transactions were the norm. Although, I did buy my home with a paper bank check.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
I don't think that it is that easy to differentiate between the two. For example, I use credit cards for virtually 100% of anything that I buy; I use ATMs over tellers on the rare occasion that I need money; I've been using direct deposit for years, if not decades; I receive most financial statements in electronic format; and, I shop online (albeit not exclusively). Also, while not one of your categories, I buy and sell stocks online rather than by phone or going to a B&M broker. I also book all my travel (air, hotel, cruises, etc) online rather than through a travel agency.

However...

I do not use online banking and prefer to pay my bills by check. Which means of course, that I also must buy stamps to mail those bills. I keep a check register and balance my checkbook frequently. And as noted above, although I shop online, I also shop in B&M stores. And one last thing that wasn't mentioned, but that would definitely be old-fashioned: When I travel overseas a couple of times a year, I take travelers checks with me as a backup for use in an emergency.

(The > $100 issue for me is not applicable because I play poker 4-5 times a week and have a significant amount of cash on me for that purpose.)

So, am I traditional or progressive?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
There is an option for "Middle of the Road I'm little bit of both" you could selected.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I'm mostly progressive. I pay my bills online, except for a few. I rarely use checks anymore and don't carry a lot of cash. About half my bills come electronically.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I've gone all the way, I guess. I write one check a year because my HOA doesn't take anything else.

I got an overpayment refund from Lowes for 45 cents several months ago, and I can't find an excuse to go to the bank to cash/deposit it. All my bill paying is either done through my bank's site or the individual company's site (it irritates me if I can't pay through my billpay).

The downside is that I'm afraid I'm spoiled to technology, and if all this was taken away I'm not sure how easily I could slide back to cash and checks.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm a totally progressive person, most would consider me a bit of an Early Adopter....Even with my daily finances I am now completely progressive last straw was moving from paper statements in the mail to E-Bills for all bills....I just find the progressive way of banking/transacting more quick convenient and secure IMO

Progressive:

- Uses Plastic (Credit/Debit) instead of Paper (Cash/Checks) 90% of time
- Uses ATM's over Bank Tellers
- Pays all Bills Online or Online Bill Pay including Rent or Mortgage
- Receives all Statements in Electronic format
- Direct Deposit of all Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds)
- Keeps 100$ in cash or less on their person
- E-Tickets everything (Bus, Train, Air)
- Shops Online

Traditional:

- Uses Paper (Cash/Checks) instead of Plastic (Credit/Debit) 90% of time
- Uses a Bank Teller for most transactions
- Still buys stamps and writes checks to pay most Bills
- Continues to receive Paper Statements
- Receives Paper Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds)
- Keeps more than 100$ in Cash on their person
- Books and Pays at the Counter
- Shops in Stores/Person

So which are you????
Do Traditionals as defined above even exist (and are under 90 years old)?
If they do, here are a few more characteristics:

Reads an actual paper newspaper.
Eats breakfast at the kitchen table before work.
Writes christmas cards.
Knows a travel agent
Uses a realtor to be introduced to listings
Knows of only two seasonings: Salt and Pepper.

Last edited by Charles; 04-11-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Progressive:

- Uses Plastic (Credit/Debit) instead of Paper (Cash/Checks) 90% of time Yep
- Uses ATM's over Bank Tellers I never go to the bank. I mail deposits in.
- Pays all Bills Online or Online Bill Pay including Rent or Mortgage -- I use autodebit -- frees me from having to do ANYTHING online.
- Receives all Statements in Electronic format -- nope
- Direct Deposit of all Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds) My clients do not have the ability to do this -- and for the number of clients we have it would be very expensive to set up. We take checks in the mail.
- Keeps 100$ in cash or less on their person -- Yep
- E-Tickets everything (Bus, Train, Air) Yep
- Shops Online Not always.

Traditional:

- Uses Paper (Cash/Checks) instead of Plastic (Credit/Debit) 90% of time Nope
- Uses a Bank Teller for most transactions -- never go into a bank if I can help it
- Still buys stamps and writes checks to pay most Bills -- yes -- we do most of our invoicing via mail, so we buy stamps and one bill is just not answering if I can go autodebit....even though I've asked and asked.
- Continues to receive Paper Statements -- yes, easier to track our business stuff
- Receives Paper Checks (Paycheck, Government, Tax Refunds) -- no option -- we do
- Keeps more than 100$ in Cash on their person nope
- Books and Pays at the Counter No way
- Shops in Stores/Person Sometimes. Shoes at Nordies are worth the trip and a lot of the time I get a good clerk at Macy's and spend some real dough..... but that's a once a year thing if that.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I'm a mix . . .

Progressive traits: yes to on-line banking, including direct deposit, billing and payment

Traditional traits: almost always shop locally with cash

Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
I'm a mix. Garden-variety bills are paid online through my bank, even my rent. Utilities are paid with a paper check to the LL after he calculates the bill. I buy food and gas and sometimes other small purchases with cash. Credit cards are only for larger purchases where I want the consumer protection, and I pay them off the same month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance