Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,245,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
we are as free and arguably as peaceful as we have ever been.
You must be young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 AM

2,176 posts, read 3,408,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You must be young.
I also don't believe everything I read on the internet.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,946,261 times
Quote:
Americans have been indulging in conspiracy theories since the founding of this country. We are one of the most paranoid societies on earth. One can go back throughout history and find countless examples of how we were supposed to be "enslaved" by progress, technology, or science. Two hundred and thirty five years later, we are as free and arguably as peaceful as we have ever been.

What if there is no grand Illuminati boogeyman, and it's all just a way for people who fear the unknown to comfort themselves with something intangible that serves to fill other voids in their life? It's no secret that conspiracy theory interest grows during recessions.
it might be prudent to be a little bit paranoid when an independent banking cartel can come along and devalue everything you have worked for, and cause further instability in an already unstable world.

you didn't get to vote on it and you have no control over it.

.....just saying

let me also add, from another post (credit to j746new for posting it):

The Real Housewives of Wall Street | Rolling Stone Politics

Quote:
Christy is the wife of John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley. Susan is the widow of Peter Karches, a close friend of the Macks who served as president of Morgan Stanley's investment-banking division. Neither woman appears to have any serious history in business, apart from a few philanthropic experiences. Yet the Federal Reserve handed them both low-interest loans of nearly a quarter of a billion dollars through a complicated bailout program that virtually guaranteed them millions in risk-free income.

Quote:
Staffers in the Senate and the House, whose queries about Fed spending have been rebuffed for nearly a century, are now poring over 21,000 transactions and discovering a host of outrages and lunacies in the "other" budget. It is as though someone sat down and made a list of every individual on earth who actually did not need emergency financial assistance from the United States government, and then handed them the keys to the public treasure. The Fed sent billions in bailout aid to banks in places like Mexico, Bahrain and Bavaria, billions more to a spate of Japanese car companies, more than $2 trillion in loans each to Citigroup and Morgan Stanley, and billions more to a string of lesser millionaires and billionaires with Cayman Islands addresses. "Our jaws are literally dropping as we're reading this," says Warren Gunnels, an aide to Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. "Every one of these transactions is outrageous."

some might say that there is a "boogeyman" out there.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

Is it gonna be 'interesting' if the military is forced to 'choose': You bet.

Does the military consists largely of people who want to HELP the American people...
I think your argument is with Chango, not me. He's the one who said the common man needs to defend himself personally, even against the US army, the police, or any other civil authority. The "second amendment remedy", about which a Tea Party candidate was so widely quoted recently.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,868,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Provided you are able to handle state of the art weaponry better than the armed forces and their well-trained, well-equipped personnel (albeit brainwashed), who will defend the republic against what will very quickly become your cold dead hands.
Or we could fight back with rocks the get armed underground by the government's enemies, to whom we will owe favors if the revolution succeeds. Apparently it works well in the Middle East.

Of course a US citizen vs US military civil war would be a blood bath, and it would probably have no winners.

But it's the same thing as Mutually Assured Destruction from nuclear war. Both sides are armed and a widescale exchange would mean utter destruction for everyone. Either side would move heaven and earth to keep it from even happening in the first place.

The idea is to keep balance, which will keep tyranny from even taking root and keep the citizens from being entirely dominated by the government, yet allow the government to keep control and (hopefully) keep the entire country moving forward.

The 2nd ammendment is in the Constitution exactly for that reason. Also, our goverment is somewhat corrupt and dysfunctional, but it's NOT irredeemably evil and self-serving. I work for the government, after all. It's most definitely NOT revolution time here.

Last edited by Chango; 04-18-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,698,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it shouldn't be the function of the police force to raise revenue for their jobs.

i just think that the police have bigger issues to deal with than waiting behind trees for speeders, particularly in low speed zones/speed traps.

we certainly need the police but, if they don't have more important things to do, maybe we have too many policemen in our community.

by the way, this is not sour grapes because i haven't got a ticket since i got rid of my porsche but i do feel empathy for people when i see them getting a ticket.

the fines are pretty brutal for working people for some of the offenses, IMO.

I agree 100%. There should not be monetary penalties for traffic offenses. Judging from the carnage on our highways, that approach is obviously NOT working.

What there should be is mandatory jail time instead. I know the threat of a few weekends in stir would make me slow the hell down!

This would, of course, would cause severe jail overcrowding....so maybe they could set up outdoor compounds with tents, like that Sheriff out in Arizona....

Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,946,261 times
i think we have enough real criminals out there to take up jail space, if anybody ever decided to prosecute that is.

those people that you are pretending that you want to see jailed aren't causing any accidents, and i still think that there are bigger crimes in this country occuring right now than people doing 35 mph in a 30 mph zone.

the police have better things to do with their time than to be forced to be the collection agents for the department, and we would be a safer country if they were free to actually solve "crimes". besides, i certainly don't want this to be seen as a negative cop thread-- because we are a country that badly needs law enforcement.

Last edited by floridasandy; 04-18-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,698,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
...the police have better things to do with their time than to be forced to be the collection agents for the department, and we would be a safer country if they were free to actually solve "crimes". besides, i certainly don't want this to be seen as a negative cop thread-- because we are a country that badly needs law enforcement.

That's my point exactly. Take the "profit motive" out of traffic enforcement....that leaves jail. Driving like an idiot can only cost you your money, or your time. Is there a third option?

BTW, many, many, many dangerous criminals are caught in traffic stops. If Tim McVeigh had had valid license plates on his getaway car, he might be a free man today...

Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,720,100 times
Quote:
Americans have been indulging in conspiracy theories since the founding of this country. We are one of the most paranoid societies on earth. One can go back throughout history and find countless examples of how we were supposed to be "enslaved" by progress, technology, or science. Two hundred and thirty five years later, we are as free and arguably as peaceful as we have ever been.

What if there is no grand Illuminati boogeyman, and it's all just a way for people who fear the unknown to comfort themselves with something intangible that serves to fill other voids in their life? It's no secret that conspiracy theory interest grows during recessions.
Conspiracy theories abound when the general population sense that "business as usual" is no longer the norm. When such a large segment of society senses there is something wrong they look for a cause or a scapegoat simply because they lack the important specific knowledge of both who & what is amiss.

That and the general population knows that all the truth they will be fed is lies that protect the who & the what. Truth is ugly, truth is scary, truth is an awareness that boggles the mind, truth is painful.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,408,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Conspiracy theories abound when the general population sense that "business as usual" is no longer the norm. When such a large segment of society senses there is something wrong they look for a cause or a scapegoat simply because they lack the important specific knowledge of both who & what is amiss.

That and the general population knows that all the truth they will be fed is lies that protect the who & the what. Truth is ugly, truth is scary, truth is an awareness that boggles the mind, truth is painful.
The percentage of people that let their lives revolve around conspiracy theories vs. those who don't care / don't believe is a fraction of the general population. The economic collapse blog you like to tout so much receives only 180,000 hits per month and reaches not even a half a percentage of internet users. Even bigger ones like Prison Planet only reach 3% of internet users. Demographically, both are dominated by males age 55 and older, especially Prison Planet which is mostly visited by retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance