Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,067,738 times

Advertisements

Happy and content, but hardly stagnant. What drives me at this point in life doesn't revolve around material accumulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,608,417 times
I have relatively simple tastes and don't strive for huge amounts of material possessions or wealth, but there are of course times when I feel constrained by income...stuff I would have next week guilt-free if money was less of an object. None of them would change my life significantly or require huge sums of money to attain, yet they are just slightly beyond my reach at this point.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,141,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
I guess it's human nature to want more after reaching and passing your goal. I now make above the median income, which is more than I have ever imagined before. At times, I'm thinking I should be content. But there's the desire/hope to get to the next tax bracket. LOL.

So, are you content with your income? Or do you also find yourself wanting more and more?
I'm content with my standard of living (Under $30K) But not content with my income.

(I want to save more)

When I get my degree(s) that will change.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,459,293 times
I found this quote online and I agree with it completely

"What would really make me happy - is enough money to PROVE that money can't make me happy."

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,989,976 times
I make more than the median income as well, and am content with what I make as is. I have little desire to make more money. Usually, with more money comes more headache, stress, and less personal time. Screw that!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,393,122 times
I definitely want more. At my income, I am pretty limited in what I want to do and some months I struggle just to be able to hang out with friends and family.

Right now with just my husband and I we do fine. We can splurge here and there, save up, travel a bit and still have some fun money leftover. But we really want to have a baby and one day own a house and with our current incomes, we will be strapped. I also worry about the future and want to maintain a nice nest egg for emergencies and something for retirement. Anytime I touch my savings, I worry that I won't be able to replace it.

I just want to be comfortable without having to worry about every dollar and having to sit home on weekends instead of hanging out with my friends.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,259,221 times
My income is fine, but I want to make more. I am now at a point where I have maxed my income in my pay range, so I need to get a promotion to make more dough. It is a big step in responsibility, which I have gone back and forth on whether I want or not. Kind of stressful, but i will probably go for it in a year or so and can scale back if I hate it, I guess.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,397,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
I guess it's human nature to want more after reaching and passing your goal. I now make above the median income, which is more than I have ever imagined before. At times, I'm thinking I should be content. But there's the desire/hope to get to the next tax bracket. LOL.

So, are you content with your income? Or do you also find yourself wanting more and more?
Interesting thread.... I make good money, but I want more. I just keep setting the bar higher and higher. I have always been a competitive person and motivated by "rewards." For me, I am never fully content and keep striving for more success. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I am not overly materialistic though. I make investments and spend money on things like travel, not on all the latest toys. I have a lot of energy and like to be busy, but I still have a great personal life. So I guess striving for the next level is what makes me happy and is my "human nature," but it differs for others.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,072,385 times
To me it's not to want more, I need some sort of challenge or something to really work towards or I do stagnate and become lazy. With engagement it works my mind out, and it actually invigorates me to do more things that I enjoy (both in work and out).

Money is not the primary motivation...but I wouldn't be doing this thing I like over others if I didn't earn the resources to build my savings (for emergencies and for retirement), to take nice vacations (and tons of time off to enjoy it), earn enough to afford a nice home in a good neighborhood, and to fund my future children's education all without irresponsible debt.

I'm not one for getting into the very high stress carriers, but it doesn't take a great deal of stress to work a decently paying job. I plug away 40 hours a week (rarely over time, like 5 hours a year) and have a blast, with every day a learning experience...and I'm in the low 6 fig income. If I want to do more and it involves a promotion, great...I'm going to keep doing what I do and keep having time for everyone in my life.

To me it would be more stressful in a repetitive dead end job being unable to earn the money I need to take advantage of the life I desire. Including the resources to weather financial crisis's, retirement, and providing the best opportunities for my children.

I love the phrase "I could be doing X, but I don't want to"...that's great if that is where you want to take your life path. Most people I know who are actually happy just smile and say "congratulations" when some one gets what they desire, they don't try and make an excuse they could have done the same thing if they actually tried. It was more valid for children in a singular event like not passing a math test, then in the adult world where many people get where they are at after many years of actually getting up and doing it.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,007,341 times
Not content at all. I think about about wanting more all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance