Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM

34,194 posts, read 83,379,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
Umbrella is VERY cheap, everybody should have it. I think my 3 million coverage is only about $200 a year. That's $16 a month. I have teenagers that drive. The liability risk is not worth it if your house is paid for or not. I'll take the paid for house and $16 a month for coverage over a piece of crap HELOC any day.
I agree and do have a smaller ($1M) umbrella policy too.
(My teens are now 20's and on their own)
---

The notion about adding an encumbrance is not about what insurance can do for you (to fight or pay off a lawsuit etc) in the event of something happening, or doing this completely in lieu of umbrella insurance which I'll certainly continue to have, but rather it is about what we can do to minimize that suit being filed in the first place.

When the scummy PI contingency lawyer does an asset search he'll quickly see he is 3rd in line.

Beyond that... in the event I ever wanted that cash for some other purpose or needed it in on short notice... having the HELOC established in advance would be a GoodThing.

I haven't said I'm doing this... but I am mulling it over.
Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,467,394 times
Quote:
Umbrella is VERY cheap, everybody should have it. I think my 3 million coverage is only about $200 a year. That's $16 a month. I have teenagers that drive. The liability risk is not worth it if your house is paid for or not. I'll take the paid for house and $16 a month for coverage over a piece of crap HELOC any day.
i just listened to an NPR story about the number of people that own their homes that choose to not carry insurance at all! they were speaking specifically about what's happening with the tornado in the southeast. unreal.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM

735 posts, read 1,589,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i just listened to an NPR story about the number of people that own their homes that choose to not carry insurance at all! they were speaking specifically about what's happening with the tornado in the southeast. unreal.
That goes beyond foolish and more into the stupid range.

Even if your net-worth is $100 million, paying $600 a year for $450,000 of coverage just makes perfect sense to me.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree and do have a smaller ($1M) umbrella policy too.
(My teens are now 20's and on their own)
---

The notion about adding an encumbrance is not about what insurance can do for you (to fight or pay off a lawsuit etc) in the event of something happening, or doing this completely in lieu of umbrella insurance which I'll certainly continue to have, but rather it is about what we can do to minimize that suit being filed in the first place.

When the scummy PI contingency lawyer does an asset search he'll quickly see he is 3rd in line.

Beyond that... in the event I ever wanted that cash for some other purpose or needed it in on short notice... having the HELOC established in advance would be a GoodThing.

I haven't said I'm doing this... but I am mulling it over.
Thanks for your comments.
Good luck with your choice.

I won't bash anybody with HELOC just, personally, think of HELOCs as a Credit Card secured against your house.

I just don't think you should let a personal injury lawyer scare you out of building wealth and financial success!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,467,394 times
Quote:
That goes beyond foolish and more into the stupid range.

Even if your net-worth is $100 million, paying $600 a year for $450,000 of coverage just makes perfect sense to me.
it was more about people with no net-worth "not being able to afford" insurance. in my mind...you can't afford to NOT have insurance.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it was more about people with no net-worth "not being able to afford" insurance. in my mind...you can't afford to NOT have insurance.
If you can't afford to buy home owners insurance ... You have no business being a home owner. I'm sure there is enough government "cheese" to get into some low income renting and pay a small premium of $5-10 a month for renters insurance.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,560,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Something in excess of 60% of people "own" vs rent.
I can see that about half of those might be finished with the mortgage paying (as I am)...
but 30% does still seem a bit high on that scale.
Yes, but the 40% that are renters live in houses owned by homeowners too, so those have to be accounted for as well. My guess would be, seeing so many investors paying cash, that a proportionately higher number of investment properties are fully paid for.

When you figure in people who own 10 or 12 houses outright (we manage rentals for several owners in this situation), that drives the percentage up.

If you just looked at homeowner occupants who only own their primary residence, I would guess the percentage would be much lower.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,208,589 times
What jtur said!

I own a rental house free and clear. My current house will be paid off in a few years.

30% outright own seems high to me, but if true that is cool.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,560,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There should be a third option, too: How many even own any equity in their home?
Really, American households come in four, no five categories:

1. Rent
2. Mortgaged, owe more than value
3. Own equity, but still mortgaged
4. Own outright, clear of mortgage
5. Also own a second home or vacation property, or an income-generating rental.
We could get really detailed and break category 5 down further into 5-2, 5-3 and 5-4, referring back to your previous 2, 3 and 4 categories.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,560,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
What do these mean? We also own our house outright. Never heard any of these. Well, we're young so maybe that's why we never heard of these. lol. Anyway, please explain.

A lot of people don't know about umbrella insurance but it's a good thing for homeowners to have. (Although MrRational's plan to open (without actually drawing money) a Home Equity Line Of Credit is intriguing.) I don't know if renters should get it or if they CAN get it, but I just rent a room in a house and can't see where I could possibly need umbrella insurance.

When you buy homeowner's insurance, you get a certain dollar amount of loss coverage (fire, vandalism, etc) and liability coverage.

Umbrella insurance is additional general coverage (it works like an umbrella to cover gaps in homeowner's, auto, etc insurance).

For example, your car insurance might include $1M of liability coverage, and you might also have $3M of umbrella insurance. If you are at fault in a car wreck which causes $2M liability loss (property, injury) to others, your car insurance will cover the first $1M of liability and your umbrella insurance will cover the second $1M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance