Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,608,490 times

Advertisements

own home outright and I want to sign deed over to husband........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM

34,156 posts, read 83,206,630 times
If his name isn't on the deed... you open yourself up to gift tax issues.
Consult with an attorney.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Default He is on the deed.....I just want to remove my name from deed....have no mtge on it

have no mtge on it.......want to remove my name......why would it be considered a gift........

Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 AM

37,216 posts, read 41,428,904 times
It might help if you explain what you want to accomplish. Why take your name off the deed?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,191,419 times
If she/you owned the home before they/you were married it is not a marital asset.
If you bought the home after you got married but only your name is on it it is a marital asset. No needed to have your name remover or his added.

Why not just add his name?

If you remove your name and give it to him he/you will be taxed.
capitol gains/ inheritance

If you give it to him and remove your name and your still married it is still a marital asset and it does not matter if your name is on it or not.

What are you trying to shelter the home from?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Default We own home outright.....Want mtge/credit line and he has great credit......

we want to make some repairs on it and his credit is much better than mine......that's our goal

Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
Default Have you been in contact with a legitmate / independant lender???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
we want to make some repairs on it and his credit is much better than mine......that's our goal
If this is something that some whacky contracting firm suggested I would run from the idea and from the screwballs that suggested it...

Basically if you and your husband are in agreement about the home needing repairs you should talk to a lenders together. Odds are the process of married spouses jointly inhabiting a home are gonna result in the SAME rate on a home equitty line of credit or similar legitimate means of financing regardless of whose name is on the deed...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Default My husbands score is great....mine is lousy.....how would the lender approve us both.......

just wondeing

Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,318,207 times
You can transfer a house to someone else at a "title company". (Yellow pages under Title.)

Is the house currently in both your names? (Helps to give a bit of detail.)

I would also check with a CPA to be sure there will not be any tax problems with doing this. That might be free advice or you may need to pay for the CPA's time. But say the CPA charges you $100 for his time. That would be a LOT cheaper than possibly winding up owing thousands of dollars in gift taxes. Best to be sure.

And when you talk to the CPA, also be sure to tell him the reason you want to do this. People can give you better advice if you explain everything.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,553,771 times
Default Don't put your "cart before the horse"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
just wondeing
The ideal is for both parties in a marriage to have good credit and be on the deed but the situation you have (owning home outright with no mortgage) is attractive to most lenders. In pretty much all cases like yours the fact that your credit may not be as stellar as hubby is not going to result in any penalty on a HELOC so long as everything else checks out. The keys in your case are that this would be a "lien in first position" (which automatically is better for the lender) and that husband does have good credit.

You should not plan on doing anything to "change title" if you goal is just to borrow some money to fix place up. Ultimately the lender wants to be sure that you AND your spouse will be responsible for paying back loan. There are simple ways to accomplish that won't trigger and nasty gift taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance