Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times

Advertisements

When this is done - is the roll over amount taxed at 20% (no extra 10% penalty since I'm over 50 1/2) or is the amount added to your current yearly gross income therefore raising your tax percentage level because of the larger AGI?

When are those taxes due? At that current years tax filing or must it be paid up front? If the latter, can the tax be paid after the rollover is done and use money from that rollover?

It's not much, just half of my 401k balance, say around $100,000. I'd like for half my 401k savings to be a bit more liquid at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
its a little more complex....

there is no age restriction on conversions.. there were income restrictions but for now they have been removed.

some warnings.

it all gets added to your income and what ever your income level is thats the tax you pay. that tax cant come out of the 401k money or there is taxes and a penalty on it if your under 59-1/2. you must have the money outside in your taxable accounts.

one huge caveat. by adding to your taxable income its possible to hit a level that triggers the amt tax penalty..

that will blow you out of the water and make this the worst move you ever did.

you can split it between 2011 and 2012 right now as far as what you owe.

personally as most here know im not a roth lover except if you have enough dough to have alot left over for heirs.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-14-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Curious if people making the conversion use a tax accountant or do it alone - and if you do use an accountant, would a franchise type of accountant (ie HR Block) suffice?

I'm considering handing over my 401(k) to a mutual fund family like Vanguard then converting to a ROTH over several years (5-7 yrs), and paying taxes each of those years. (ps, I'm well under 59 yrs of age).

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
I personally would not trust a franchise type tax person for advice,

Mostly they are data entry clerks, they type what you tell them into there software program, Have been trained to asks some questions about you and your return, but that is limited. Mostly they 'follow' the prompts/scripts that there software gives them.

But to your question, I would 'convert' as much as you can each year till the $'s amount takes you into the next tax bracket. (a side question is do you think tax rates (yours/globally) will go up in the future), If you think they will go up, you want to convert more now.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Roth IRA Conversion 2012: Are You a Good Candidate? - Forbes

Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I personally would not trust a franchise type tax person for advice,

Mostly they are data entry clerks, they type what you tell them into there software program, Have been trained to asks some questions about you and your return, but that is limited. Mostly they 'follow' the prompts/scripts that there software gives them.

But to your question, I would 'convert' as much as you can each year till the $'s amount takes you into the next tax bracket. (a side question is do you think tax rates (yours/globally) will go up in the future), If you think they will go up, you want to convert more now.
Good advice on the tax preparer.

Re: taxes. I expect that the taxes will increase in the future only because of our government's financial situation (debt). But as far as my income, I don't expect that I will be in a higher bracket due to a higher income from this point forward. I'm leaning toward converting portions over the period of several years - just enough each year to keep me in the lowest tax bracket possible.

thanks for your reply

Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Roth IRA conversion not for everybody - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance