Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
lol really? you think i'm over thinking it?
i do like to try to look at different alternatives whenever i'm faced with a decision....i don't think that's necessarily 'over' thinking something
I can't come up with a more obvious example of over thinking something. They like your work and want to give you a raise. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so if you have more responsibility, it makes sense for you to earn more. im sure if your company was going bankrupt, your raise isnt going to be what breaks them. if they start laying people off, then maybe you can offer to take a pay cut. as someone else mentioned, its nice to cut the most expensive people but you also cant get rid of your most valuable people. how easy can you be replaced by someone cheaper? anyway, if i offered someone a raise and they turned it down, id start wondering if the person isnt as bright as i thought he was.

in a way, this concept is a bit offensive.

thanks, that's good advice.

sorry this is 'offensive' to you somehow. that wasn't my intention.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Look at it this way. If you do get cut, when potential new employers ask you what your compensation was at your last job, you will be able to give them a bigger figure.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Classic Engineer thought process.

If I were you I would be looking to see what other companies would offer you a job for even more than what your making after the raise. I bet a 20k raise is just enough to keep you satisfied and not look elsewhere. I can almost bet your boss has your psych profile pegged.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thanks, that's good advice.

sorry this is 'offensive' to you somehow. that wasn't my intention.
i know you didnt mean it in an offensive way, i didnt really take it that way. maybe offensive isnt the right word. i could just see people being bothered by the idea of someone working hard and earning a raise, then not taking it without a good reason like differen position/responsibilites/etc. even if you dont need the money, if you wanted to just give it to charity/children/retirement, it would be better for you to have it.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Classic Engineer thought process.

If I were you I would be looking to see what other companies would offer you a job for even more than what your making after the raise. I bet a 20k raise is just enough to keep you satisfied and not look elsewhere. I can almost bet your boss has your psych profile pegged.
lol
Knowing the numbers, i highly doubt that but i guess that's a thought.

Cheers!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
If it would make you feel better you can take the raise and give me some.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i know you didnt mean it in an offensive way, i didnt really take it that way. maybe offensive isnt the right word. i could just see people being bothered by the idea of someone working hard and earning a raise, then not taking it without a good reason like differen position/responsibilites/etc. even if you dont need the money, if you wanted to just give it to charity/children/retirement, it would be better for you to have it.
thanks. i understand.
the overwhelmingly polar response here is making me question if rejecting it is a wise idea.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If it would make you feel better you can take the raise and give me some.
sure, give me your full name, bank account number, SSN, and i'll deposit the money directly to you.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
If the reason you would turn down the raise is to do the company a favor - keep in mind that when they need to make cuts, they won't be looking at who was the nicest, etc. If they want to cut you, they will. Not taking the raise won't get you any bonus points.

In the end, it's business.

Take the raise, sock away money and either look for another job in the meantime if you are concerned about the company's stability, or sock away enough from the raise to live off of for awhile if you get let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance