Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times

Advertisements

Have any of you heard of this outfit?

Have any of you been scammed by it?

Apparently many, many people have had major charges placed on their credit cards and bank debt cards with no authorization. How the company got their card numbers is a mystery.

It just happened to us. A credit card that is only used for gas had a charge of well over $100.00 appear on it. Nothing was ordered, charged, or in any way associated with this company. Never even heard of it.

We called the number on the billing and were told that we ordered the service. Nope. We were not longer living at the address they billed it to. The rep said, "Well, you *do* travel." Huh? We have no idea how they got the card number.

Goggle tlg travel. Watch your credit cards and your bank cards. You could join the club of thousands of others who have had their accounts drained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
We were billed 139.00 for something we didn't recognize. After investigation we were told that we cashed a rebate check that came in our credit card bill (from our bank) for $10.00. This was the "agreement" to purchase this. We have NO recollection of doing that, but this was supposedly in 2003 so it's possible. They had charged my account yearly since then and we didn't notice till this year! My husband requested they send a copy of a check that was supposedly signed by me. They agreed. So we'll see if that can be produced. They also agreed to take off the past 2 years charges for this "membership" I knew nothing about. This company which I understand now goes by Affinion has had numerous complaints and lawsuits which they have settled. On our bill, the name appeared as MP Traveler's Advan (Traveler's Advantage)

Just a warning...
If you receive any small checks in the mail that could appear to be a rebate check, make sure you know what it is. Also, like we're always told, CHECK your charges every month to make sure they're legit. The reason my husband noticed this year was because we had made the decision to avoid charging if at all possible.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM

193 posts, read 812,492 times
I used to work for Traveler's Advantage long ago, they are indeed sneaky, but I've never heard of them signing people up without some sort of consent (you just might not realize you have signed up for something, like the rebate check gimmick). There are several memberships that they are under, like auto advantage, and they also have a entertainment card program (associated with the entertainment coupon book), so you may have signed up without realizing it. Perhaps they sent a "rebate check" with your gas card bill, as happened to the 2nd poster with their credit card bill. If you haven't been refunded yet, call them again and raise a fuss, they will likely refund the amount that was charged.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 19,941 times
We got scammed too. We just found on our credit card statement a charge for $139.99 from a TLG Travel ADV. We had never heard of this company. We called the credit card company and of course got the run around. So we decided to call the company itself. They said it was a membership we signed up for back in 2001 when we stayed at a Super 8 Hotel. We never signed up for something like this. So, does that mean whenever you stay at a Super 8 your going to be signed up for a membership you don't want?? And I guess that means we have been charged since 2001 for this membership we dont' want and have no idea what it is. They said they would cancel our membership as of today and credit back to us the $139.99 on our credit card. We shall see. After all the bad things I have read about this company, why are they still in business and how can they legally do this to consumers?? It just makes a person MAD.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Well, I posted earlier that they claimed I signed a $2.00 check which "started" my membership with them. I thought that was highly unlikely that I ever signed such a thing! After investigation, we learned this "offer" came in through our bank statement. My husband called them and demanded they produce a copy of that. So.....they did. I actually did cash the little check. I guess I thought it was a rebate check or something. I am usually exceedingly careful. That's why I couldn't believe I actually signed that without reading the implications of signing. But I did.:o We apparently had been paying them annually for 5 or 6 years. They agreed to take the last 2 years off and they did. Still cost us about $400-500 or more. That was a very expensive $2.00 check I cashed!

Last edited by kaykay; 11-25-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,390 times
Thumbs down tlg great fun scam

This is an old thread but still a problem.

My credit card company just alerted me of fraud and there were a number of online charged from various stores-Upbill, Skype, Red Envelope(declined, gifts totaling 257.00)that I did not recognize.

I also found that last month we started being charged $15.99 twice per month from TLG Great Fun and TLG Shopper. Never, ever signed up for that!

Well I did some research and this is a big scam. I closed that credit card account, but I also am contacting any store that attaches these promotions, the ones that come at the end of your selected order that offer you discounts and coupons. I am telling these stores that I will no longer order from them if they continue to associate with TLG Great Fun.

I do not know if Great Fun was the start of my account theft, but it was all on the same card which we do not use a whole lot. How can I trust a company that will offer a service that scams consumers in a shady way and then offers NO PRODUCT! of any kind? No e-mails to offer goods or services, no coupons, no mailings.People don't even know how they signed up! This is a snake of a company and if I see their sign up after buying something online, I will cancell my order with that company and not do business with them. How else will this stop?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 17,640 times
Hello all, new to this forum, not new to being scammed by TLG. It all started with me trying to get good deals on hotels back in September 2009, i booked a room with an affiliated hotel and thats where the "fun" started. They began charging $11 a month immediately. I called many times to cancel each time being promised $100 gas cards and $100 food cards, now being that our economy is in the hole I figured the $11 charge in exchange for these cards was better than putting everything on my credit card and paying interest on it afterwards. So I agreed to keep the "membership" contingent of receipt of these cards, i didnt get charged any "membership" fees for about 5 months but also received neither $100 giftcard. Also as some of you mentioned a "rebate check", I received a few but never cashed any. Fastforward to June 2010 I get charged $11 within 5 days, I call to complain and go figure they start promising $200 gas/food cards and all the appologies in the world for the "inconvinience". Im not being inconvinienced its called Fraud! I made many attempts to cancel each time being reminded of the "rewards" and "dinning/hotel discounts" to be enjoyed with membership. After all is said and done i have a cancelation code and fax number (614-823-5124) to ask for refunds. Anyone with access to fax machine I suggest bombarment of complaints and requests for refunds. Excuse my french but F@#K YOU! TLG

Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 17,323 times
Better check your credit card statements!! I just received mine today and noticed a charge from TLG ShopperAdv...WHO?!! Looked them up on line. Still didn't make sense. Then read a lot of complaints from people like myself who had been scammed apparently by this outfit. Called my credit card co. to protest the charge; then called TLG who first claimed that I had joined their club (which I hadn't), but were not at all adverse to having me cancel (bet they've had a ton of similar calls!!). So "buyer" beware!! If you see a charge on your credit card statement, look into it right away. There's a more and more of this sort of thing going on these days.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 16,976 times
Default Total scam

Had multiple charges from this company over a couple of months.. no idea who they are or how they got my card info.. the account they were charging was a joint accont set up for one of my renters to deposit $600/ mo into and i would with draw the money each month, not other charges were ever to be on this card... soo it was real easy to spot the 2 $15 charges.

when i called the company they claimed to have none of my information on file or the card on file they were charging.. total bs.

i can only imagine how many people get a charge like this and have no idea where it came from.. do everything you can to shut this down. i dont usually post but i would feel so much more confused if i didnt have the opportunity to hear all the other complaints out there.. please post if you can. i did

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 16,556 times
Here's action everyone can take. It's easy. Just share your story, like I did.

Details:

Trilegiant Scam: YOU CAN HELP STOP IT!

Trilegiant is behind more consumer abuse. Take action and contact Freed & Weiss - info @ freedweiss (dot) com (No Spaces), or call, toll free 866.779.9610

Here's more information:

Customers of websites like 1-800-Flowers.com, Travelocity, Shutterfly, and Orbitz are reporting mysterious monthly reoccurring charges to their credit cards.

Thanks to marketing tactics (i.e., those pop-up windows) used during check out, without proper consent consumers are accidentally joining club memberships and having to pay for them monthly!

Most people don't even realize they are being charged every month for a service they never ordered!

Is this happening to you? Have you made a purchase for travel, work, or fun using any of the following sites:

1-800-Flowers.com,
Hotwire.com,
Orbitz,
Classmates.com,
Barnes&Noble.com,
Ticketmaster.com,
Avon.com.
Budget,
Staples.com,
Travelocity,
Expedia/Hotel.com,
Columbiahouse,
Buy.com,
FTD,
Intelius,
Gamestop/
EB Games.com,
Airtransholdings.com,
Continental Airlines,
Shutterfly Inc.,
US Airways
Vistaprint USA
Redcats USA
Pizza Hut
Movie Tickets.com
GMAC Mortgage

Join this cause to learn more and stop the consumer abuse from Trilegiant.

AND PLEASE CONTACT FREED & WEISS IMMEDIATELY if you - or anyone you know - has reoccurring charges after purchasing from any of these companies.

Contact Freed & Weiss by emailing: info @ FreedWeiss (dot) com (No Spaces), or calling: (312) 220 - 0000, or toll free (866) 779 - 9610

Help Spread the Word to Your Friends!

What should I look for? Mysterious charges involving the business practice of Trilegiant/Affinion and Verture include the following membership programs:

LiveWell,
Great Fun,
Shopping Essentials,
Privacy Guard,
Shoppers Advantage,
Travelers Advantage,
Buyers Advantage,
Privacy Guard (or Credit Alert),
HealthSaver,
Netmarket.com,
CompleteHome,
Great Options,
Everyday Values,
Auto Advantage,
Complete Savings,
HealthSaver,
Just For Me,
Everyday Privileges Gold,
IdentitySecure,
CardCops,
PC SafetyPlus,
and Hot-Line

Banks issuing the credit cards and processing unauthorized charges on your account include: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Chase, Bank of America, US Bank.

CHARGES WILL APPEAR ON YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLS WITH CRYPTIC DESCRIPTIONS SUCH AS: TLG*LIVWEL15130916JUL 800-7932318 CT."

What can I do?

Contact Freed & Weiss immediately, if you or someone you know has been charged mysterious monthly recurring fees after making purchased as any of the online companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance