Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,234,454 times

Advertisements

As much as I don't like the fees, how many think nothing of five dollar latte's at Starbucks everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,155,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
instead of anyone blaming or being mad at banks maybe they should redirect that anger towards politicians.

Why banks are raising debit card fees
I disagree.

But that might be because none of my banks or credit unions are tacking on fees!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,573,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As much as I don't like the fees, how many think nothing of five dollar latte's at Starbucks everyday?
That does not even make any sense.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,573,039 times
I use USAA. Instead of adding fees they removed the debit card reward program. They actually had its member vote about it and the majority voted to remove the debit rewards vs adding fees.
I do have a BOFA account which I am closing tomorrow. I used them as my local bank but never liked them or their service. USAA is unbeatable!
But I also signed up with WINGS Financial Credit Union. I need to have local branches for everyday "banking needs".

Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That does not even make any sense.
My meaning was the relative comparison of BOA fees to what the good percentage of Americans pee away paying high interest rates and and other frivoulus things. Think about it, a lot of people will live with high interest rate credit cards or think nothing about a five dollar latte every day, but they will freak out about a five dolar monthly fee. Not many people complained about the fees involved when they tapped their homes in order to take money out.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,218,910 times
Quote:
My meaning was the relative comparison of BOA fees to what the good percentage of Americans pee away paying high interest rates and and other frivoulus things. Think about it, a lot of people will live with high interest rate credit cards or think nothing about a five dollar latte every day, but they will freak out about a five dolar monthly fee. Not many people complained about the fees involved when they tapped their homes in order to take money out.
Don't lump the responsible people who pay their bills on time & live within their means, with greedy people who cashed out on their homes to live high on $5-$7 coffee!!! Corrupt bankers & politicians caused the economic problems & are trying to make the people who live a responsible life to pay for their irresponsibility. They are using my deposits to make themselves money. They had best not charge me for their use of my money or run up retail prices with excess swipe fees.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Don't lump the responsible people who pay their bills on time & live within their means, with greedy people who cashed out on their homes to live high on $5-$7 coffee!!! Corrupt bankers & politicians caused the economic problems & are trying to make the people who live a responsible life to pay for their irresponsibility. They are using my deposits to make themselves money. They had best not charge me for their use of my money or run up retail prices with excess swipe fees.

It seems those of us that did not overwhelm ourselves with debt and have a little cash in the bank are a minority after the smoke cleared from this last economic expansion that was artificially expanded based on the use of credit. Blame goes out to a lot of different entity's, those who lived within their means will be contributing for others mistakes for a while.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I agree. BOA has so many lawsuits that they are drowning. There fees are to recoup some of their mistakes. What mistakes? Poor management, corruption, a lose of many shareholders and customers, Countrywide lawsuits, malicious practices and on and on. They are trying to keep their head about water while still paying greedy management millions of dollars each year. Instead of making top management held accountable they just switch management and pay the old management that they moved down the ladder or fired big severance packages. Yet they lay off thousand of employees for management corrupt.

SEC has charged Bank executives with hiding millions during the financial crisis today. There will be more to come from these big banks.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,469,858 times
Quote:
Well for one we didn't bail out Starbucks nor were their lattes ever free.

And if Starbucks suddenly raised their lattes to $10 then you will see people take their business elsewhere.

People don't like sudden change, even if it's just an extra $5 a month.

Last edited by yayoi; 10-11-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,813,586 times
I wonder what will happen if the credit unions start charging money, becoz believe it or not, in a world of evolving banking, nothing is going to be free forever, and that includes stone age institutions like credit unions too. At some point, they need to invent the wheel too and move forward.

And that's what is making me chuckle at this outrage.

If people think they can park their money for free in some place, they might as well dig a whole beside the dog kennel and put it in there, right? What is the need for a bank even?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance