Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...well, 30+ percent of that will be eaten in taxes. Then figure in retirement, normal savings, and just day-to-day life.

It'll take longer.
At $600k with 30% being lost to taxes ($180k), you are left with $420k. They paid the $120k off in 4 years, according to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
At $600k with 30% being lost to taxes ($180k), you are left with $420k. They paid the $120k off in 4 years, according to them.
Max out retirement...put money in savings. Pay for utilities, food, maintenance, medical, etc.

Yes, they should be able to do it quickly. But you gotta pay to live. I think 4 years is reasonable.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 AM

890 posts, read 1,850,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...well, 30+ percent of that will be eaten in taxes. Then figure in retirement, normal savings, and just day-to-day life.

It'll take longer.
Exactly, and you don't know what kind of other things they have going on.

Maybe they are providing some support for a family member or there's some other expenditure of money that wasn't really important to mention. Maybe they maxed out their retirement accounts and still wanted to have a nice vacation.

Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Dave doesn't give enough space to the 'happy medium' -- sometimes you need to use credit but don't go crazy-irresponsible with it. I do not believe that just because you can't pay cash for it means you can't afford it.
I like Dave, and you really have to consider the people he is trying to help when you consider the tone he takes sometimes. Dave makes no bones about the fact that he has his luxuries too.

Now the thing that gets me is he really doesn't teach anything more than common sense and has made a fortune doing it.

There was a time when I was young, stupid, and had to have the newest sports car with custom wheels and all that. I must've driven all over the country in that thing. I put myself $30K in the hole between the car and 4 credit cards. It was very hard for me to sit down with my fiance and show her my real financial state. Bless her heart she married me anyway and we came up with a plan to pay it all off.

I was making about $20K a year in the military, and she was making a little over $15K in a civilian job....again we were very young. Well, I got a second job and together we paid off that debt in about 2 years, maybe a little more, using the same principles Dave teaches regarding paying down debt.

Now, we still have credit cards, but no debt. We go against Dave's principle of not using them for points because we do pay it off every month. One time I heard him give in to a caller and state that in their case, maybe it's ok and works for them. But he will not advise it.

This was in 1995-1997. Why didn't I trademark a Total Money Makeover of my own back then? Because I still wasn't that smart.

Last edited by dbbd; 12-17-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
That's what they say about him. That he doesn't really sell financial advise. He sells behavior modification.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
agree, it is changing your behavior and living a saving culture rather than a spending culture.

still i like his advice and most of his callers are in a financial pickle and in need of a common sense uncle.

so i am for it.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,309,195 times
Quote:
It would take a modest couple making that amount 15+ years to even attempt to save up enough cash to even buy a modest $100k - $150k home all in cash.
I don't know anything about Dave Ramsey, but whats wrong with saving your money for something? The alternative to the about is mortgaging the $150K home and pay it off in 30 years, which makes the REAL cost of your home somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K once you figure in the interest payments. The smart way to do it is to mortgage the house and make extra principal payments every month. I'm doing that with my mortgage, and this strategy is turning a 30 year mortgage into a 12 year mortgage, at a savings of over $100K in interest payments.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I don't know anything about Dave Ramsey, but whats wrong with saving your money for something? The alternative to the about is mortgaging the $150K home and pay it off in 30 years, which makes the REAL cost of your home somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K once you figure in the interest payments. The smart way to do it is to mortgage the house and make extra principal payments every month. I'm doing that with my mortgage, and this strategy is turning a 30 year mortgage into a 12 year mortgage, at a savings of over $100K in interest payments.
There's nothing wrong with saving your money for something. That's what he encourages....no debt. Mortgage is "ok" because most people can't afford to pay cash for a home.

Your approach is along the his principal. Though he would say you should have taken out a 15 year mortgage and paid extra if you could. This only after all other debts are paid off entirely (with no new debt), an emergency fund is established and you are saving for retirement. (feel like I'm missing something else...anyway).

I understand the long term savings of the 15 year mortgage. With the couple of houses I've purchased I was concerned about locking myself into a higher payment. I wanted the flexibility to not pay as much or make the minimum if circumstances required me to.

Of course, it takes discipline to make the extra payments on a 30 year mortgage. And discipline is something that a lot of Dave's guests have lacked. Therefore, he pushes for it.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
People who have no common sense about finances and are in trouble could probably use his advice. That's about it.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
People who have no common sense about finances and are in trouble could probably use his advice. That's about it.
I still like listening to him even though the only debt I have is my mortgage, and I plan on staying that way.

Every now and then he'll throw something out there about estate planning, real estate purchasing/selling or business approaches that I find interesting and/or useful.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM

58 posts, read 126,423 times
Default Dave Ramsey

I personally practice what Dave preaches. Zero debt and only use credit cards that give rebates(no carried balance).
I wonder how many businesses would go under if everyone followed Dave's advice. Or better yet, let our country stop spending until we have zero debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance