Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post

Borrowing money to buy clothes, furniture, cars to "build your credit score" costs thousands of dollars in interest that could otherwise be saved.
No it doesn't have to at all. I use a CC for everything that I can. I get reward %s back. And I pay off that credit card (and any other) every month without fail. I don't believe in paying interest, so I don't, except for my mortgage. If you are a disciplined person and understand what you have available in your accounts to spend, you can use credit cards and not incur additional debt. I'm proof of that. I haven't paid any interest on any CC ever.

I bought a new car at the end of 2010. I keep my cars as long as possible, so I expect to keep this one 12 to 15 years as long as the cost to maintain it isn't worth more than the vehicle itself. In the meantime I'm saving $$ for my next car so I can pay cash for that one when the time comes. And I'm not driving a beater by a longshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
I don't feel comfortable without an emergency fund of less than $20,000, the idea of having only $1000 in an EF sounds ridiculous to me. Personally I think an emergency fund should be 18 months of expenses - I don't know about a lot of you, but if you were laid off at the beginning of the recession, it took more than a year to find another job.

I think some of Ramsey's advice is good - the snowball method is a really satisfying way to pay off debt. I used that method when I was younger, had put moving expenses on a credit card, had a car loan and still had student loans. It did work better, even though I was not taking into account the interest rates, it was psychologically very gratifying.

Ramsey's advice is good for people who have gotten themselves into a serious debt hole. Once your debt is paid off, his advice is actually pretty bad.

I also think his thoughts about mortgages are ridiculous. If everyone followed that hardly anyone would own homes.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I don't feel comfortable without an emergency fund of less than $20,000, the idea of having only $1000 in an EF sounds ridiculous to me.
That is not what Ramsey advises. It's what he suggests as a first "baby step" to get started. Ultimately he suggests 6+ months of full living expenses in an "emergency fund."

I think people should aim for 1 year full living expenses in an EF.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:34 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That is not what Ramsey advises. It's what he suggests as a first "baby step" to get started.
Exactly. The $1,000 emergency fund advice Ramsey's pitching is to the people whose current "emergency fund" is "Let's charge it to a credit card!" (in other words, people who have no savings at all). It's aimed at people who are actually broke, with a negative net worth. He's not saying $1,000 is enough emergency savings long-term, but it's a reasonable amount to have in the bank first before starting the process of doubling down hard on debt payments.

Remember, folks, his target audience is the completely financially illiterate, who are swimming up to their eyeballs in credit card debt and just can't seem to figure out how to save any money. It's not us!

Last edited by Aredhel; 05-20-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,942 times
Quote:

I also think his thoughts about mortgages are ridiculous. If everyone followed that hardly anyone would own homes.
Actually if people followed his advice on housing costs and mortgages there would be a lot less foreclosures and a lot more people able to stay in their house when life happens.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
The key I think to an EF especially when it comes to job loss is to have 6 months worth of current expenses but once I lose my job I also cut expenses so that the 6 month fund actually covers 9-12 months worth of expenses then. I think a years worth of current expenses in cash is overkill

Old 05-20-2016, 02:50 PM

It doesn't have to all be in cash. One could keep 6 months in cash and another 6 months in a lower risk investment that has a little bit of equity exposure. Hopefully one doesn't ever need to burn through an entire year, but better to have it than not.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:04 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,942 times
An EF also has to do with your career. If you are a good doctor, nurse, lawyer...ect. Then one can pretty much ensure you will be working if you want to...in some capacity. The EF can be on the lighter side.

Salesman career...I would lean on the heavier side.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
An EF also has to do with your career. If you are a good doctor, nurse, lawyer...ect. Then one can pretty much ensure you will be working if you want to...in some capacity. The EF can be on the lighter side.

Salesman career...I would lean on the heavier side.
To that point earning diversity helps. I make over 100k and my wife is just under 100k and we save about half our income. If she lost her job and we cut out saving we wouldn't touch our savings

Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
I don't feel comfortable without an emergency fund of less than $20,000, the idea of having only $1000 in an EF sounds ridiculous to me. Personally I think an emergency fund should be 18 months of expenses - I don't know about a lot of you, but if you were laid off at the beginning of the recession, it took more than a year to find another job.
Amount of emergency fund depends on your personal situation, could be $20k could be $5k could be $0.

Not everyone needs an emergency fund, we had one when we were younger but eventually reached a point where it wasn't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance