Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,386,093 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I have been struggling for the past few years with feelings of inadequacy because I do not earn a good salary and I am the lowest paid of my peers and friends.

Growing up, I was always very career driven and wanted to rise to the highest ranks career-wise but reality turned out very differently and I’ve found myself much, much lower than I’d like and my career nearly in the toilet. I’m working diligently on making some better career moves and earning more money but what gets me is how badly I feel for earning the low salary that I do and feeling unsuccessful (and kinda like a loser) because of it.

So help me out with this:
Am I crazy to feel unsuccessful because I don’t make a lot of money? Or is this just society’s ingraining on me?
Is salary really the best determinant for success? If a janitor is the best janitor on his team but earns $10 an hour, is he successful?
If a CEO slacks off and doesn’t contribute much to his company but earns $1 mil annually, is he still successful?

It’s been made clear from posts on this board that for my educational attainment and current salary (master’s degree and <$40k annually) that there is something very wrong with my current situation. Should I feel bad? I want very badly to not allow my earnings to determine my happiness, self worth and achievement…but I feel like the messages I get are that I am an underachiever because of it. And there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t feel unhappy about it. Should I? Should I not?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,378 times
What industry are you in? Some industries just dont pay well regardless of education..Now if you know for sure you earn less than your peers than i think its clear what you need to do.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Success is not measured via a bank account. It's just NOT.
Success is a state of mind.. but it takes years to learn this... and some never do.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
What industry are you in? Some industries just dont pay well regardless of education..Now if you know for sure you earn less than your peers than i think its clear what you need to do.
I'm in marketing. Its clear that I earn far less than I should be. And I have been putting our resumes for about 2 months now searching for a better position.

But my issue is my fixation on salary and the feelings of indequacy because I don't enough more. I wonder if my feelings are justified and whether I really should be beating myself up for it. Because I feel I am not "successful".

Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
No, it's happiness. But that's hard to measure. I'd rather be happy and poor than rich and depressed.....but I'd rather be rich and happy as well!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Success is not measured via a bank account. It's just NOT.
Success is a state of mind.. but it takes years to learn this... and some never do.
Ok, this is what I am trying to better understand. If its not measured by a bank account, how should it be measured?

What state of mine is needed for success?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Ok, this is what I am trying to better understand. If its not measured by a bank account, how should it be measured?

What state of mine is needed for success?
You need to want what you have.

If you are living in a state of mind that "more is never enough", you'll never be happpy.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You need to want what you have.

If you are living in a state of mind that "more is never enough", you'll never be happpy.
So basically not want for more to be happy?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,533 times
Success in life is best measured by Xbox360 Gamerscore.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM

307 posts, read 631,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Am I crazy to feel unsuccessful because I don’t make a lot of money? Or is this just society’s ingraining on me?
Is salary really the best determinant for success? If a janitor is the best janitor on his team but earns $10 an hour, is he successful?
If a CEO slacks off and doesn’t contribute much to his company but earns $1 mil annually, is he still successful?

It’s been made clear from posts on this board that for my educational attainment and current salary (master’s degree and <$40k annually) that there is something very wrong with my current situation. Should I feel bad? I want very badly to not allow my earnings to determine my happiness, self worth and achievement…but I feel like the messages I get are that I am an underachiever because of it. And there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t feel unhappy about it. Should I? Should I not?

Thoughts?
Success is something that you have to define for yourself based on what is important to you. You need to take some time for self examination and decide. It sounds like your current measure is very narrowly based on money and should probably be expanded into other areas of your life.

If you spend a lot of time on money boards it is easy to get that emphasis because you surround yourself with people that have strong money goals. Different people have much different ideas of success. On a money board it is likely income or net worth. On a frugal living board it could be learning to desire the things you already have and being content with less. At my church it could be spiritual awareness and the acceptance of redemptive suffering.

My own idea of success includes being a loving wife to my husband, having meaningful work, living contentedly on what we bring in, and investing for the future. It includes being active in the church and community, being generous to support causes we believe in, and helping friends and neighbors when they need a hand. The money is definitely a part of my definition of success but it is only a part, and it is possible to be successful in the other areas while working to improve the money part. The whole thing is always a work in progress because there is room for improvement in my life for every area that I have listed.

If you are unhappy every day, redirect your thoughts to other areas of your life where you are having more success. Continue to work on the money issue that is making you unhappy, but don't let it take over your thoughts and your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance