Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I'm not assuming that they are out of touch, I'm know based on facts that they are. The fact is that people in the USA aren't as affluent as the media and word of mouth would have you believe. Fact is that the median personal income in the US is only 27K. Once people accept that half our population is poor and are making it on only 27K or less then the rest of my post is easier to accept.

Next thing to look at is a city with a median cost of living. So lets use Pompano Beach, FL since its close to Fort Lauderdale. It falls right at 100 on the cost of living index. When you compare Pompano to Fort Lauderdale you will see that the cost of living is only 6.8% higher in Ft. Lauderdale.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

After adjusting the OP's salary for his higher cost of living compared to the median COL; he still makes more money then approximately 75% of ALL income earner's of ALL ages in his area. If that's not doing well by the age of 28, I don't know what is. If we compare him to the entire population of the USA then he makes even more at the 77th percentile.

Some of the metropolitan areas of the country do have insanely high COL but overall most of the population of the USA isn't subject to those insane standards. So therefore, we can't go by NY's or CA's standard of what's considered a high salary. When your referring to NJ your referring to one of those metro areas that aren't really good comparisons for what the reality for most people is.
Something can "sound depressing" even if it isn't inferior to the average. Your post saying most people are poor "sounds depressing" even though that's the statistical truth. Making only 27k sounds extremely depressing. You can say it's average, but that doesn't change the fact that it sounds depressing. To me, making about half of what I currently make "sounds depressing" even if it's more than the 27k average. It's all relative.

As for in/out of touch with reality, I live in NJ. My reality and the reality of all the people who live in NJ is the reality of NJ. The fact that statistically the rent is much lower on a national level doesn't impact my reality or that of anyone else here. So I'll again go back to my statement that without context of the original statement, this is all meaningless.

Take the joke about the 6.5 ft statistician who tried to cross a river with an average depth of 5 ft. He didn't make it despite the fact that his height was above average because he was out of touch with the reality of a river that was 10 ft deep in the middle.

Having to walk across at river with a max depth of 10 ft sounds depressing unless you're over 10 ft. It doesn't matter what the average height is.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

As for in/out of touch with reality, I live in NJ. My reality and the reality of all the people who live in NJ is the reality of NJ. The fact that statistically the rent is much lower on a national level doesn't impact my reality or that of anyone else here. So I'll again go back to my statement that without context of the original statement, this is all meaningless.
Don't worry I wasn't taking a shot at you in regards to saying "people are out of touch with reality." Indeed your local COL in NJ is what's relevant to your life regardless of what the "norm" across the US may be. I was referring to the individual the OP was talking to who called his salary depressing. I'm assuming he was talking to someone who lives near him and that person is truly out of touch in regards to what's considered a good salary in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Depends on two things:

1. Location

and

2. Your standard of living

50k is good for 28 and single, I think anything over 50k for a single individual is a pretty darn good salary, but like others have stated this will depend on where you live as well. If you are frugal with your money and live a modest life style then you will be fine. You could even afford some nicer things with that. Also, once you find a mate and live together you will be saving even more.

I have a few friends that are 30+ making 100k+/yr and they talk down about other professions, comments like "but there's no money in that", etc. It generally makes me sick sometimes because the only thing they consider is money. If you like your profession and are happy making what you make all the power to you.

I make way less than 100k/yr but more than 50k year, I'm a single male at 26. I drive a nice 2 seater sports car and live in a decent condo (renting, not owning in a city is my goal). I enjoy my profession and I am happy with my benefits package and my overall work week. I think the average household income in the US is around 63k or so. So if you think about it from that stand point you are making only 13k less than an entire household. You only have one mouth to feed and you only need a studio/1br place.

I also think single people are screwed when it comes to taxes, and other things, but we can leave that for a different discussion later.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
50k is slightly above middle class.
50k IS middle class, at least the way the term is usually used.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
50k IS middle class, at least the way the term is usually used.
By the Numbers: The Incredibly Shrinking American Middle Class | Blog, Smart Charts | BillMoyers.com

A decent article explaining different "definitions". 50k for a single male at age 28 would fall into the middle class, as it is around the median household income made in 2012 for Americans (statistically). However, comparing a single 28 year old to a household of 4 is not a fair comparison. The single person making 50k/yr is typically on the higher end of middle class because it is 1 vs. 4, however, this is all negated when this single worker is subject to a society setup for households of 4+. Furthermore, it's all about location.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:02 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
By the Numbers: The Incredibly Shrinking American Middle Class | Blog, Smart Charts | BillMoyers.com

A decent article explaining different "definitions". 50k for a single male at age 28 would fall into the middle class, as it is around the median household income made in 2012 for Americans (statistically). However, comparing a single 28 year old to a household of 4 is not a fair comparison. The single person making 50k/yr is typically on the higher end of middle class because it is 1 vs. 4, however, this is all negated when this single worker is subject to a society setup for households of 4+. Furthermore, it's all about location.
He's almost at the upper middle class level if you go by individual income which is more relevant to his situation:

Wage Statistics for 2012

He is roughly at the 77th percentile of every individual in the US.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Nothing wrong with 50k at 28 in Fl nothing at all and I agree it is middle, on the higher end of middle middle class if there is a low mid and high end to middle class

Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
He's almost at the upper middle class level if you go by individual income which is more relevant to his situation:

Wage Statistics for 2012

He is roughly at the 77th percentile of every individual in the US.
I agree with this, as my post stated. However, he will not get ahead like some couples do that live in a similar 1br apartment and pay half the price in rent as he does.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:48 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I agree with this, as my post stated. However, he will not get ahead like some couples do that live in a similar 1br apartment and pay half the price in rent as he does.

Seems rather obvious if two people were splitting expenses that would be better than a single person paying

Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,540 times
I currently make 50k a year and I'am only 26 years old but with no college educattion but I am blesses. I beleive 50k is a good salary heck it's my salary i went from $13.00 a hour to 50k. Your blessed my man. I was raised in a house of 5 on 35k a year income Max. Your salary is what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance