Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,710,544 times

Advertisements

hehe I like the show he put on to amuse himself. I would probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,701,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I would have loved to see the look in the teller's face when he plopped down his grocery bag with more than $114K in cash. Great story...

It was probably a "what a jerk" look on the teller's face.

Just like folks that pay in pennies to "make a statement"...all he accomplished was making some low-level working stiff's day a little less pleasant. The bank's big shots don't know or care about his little stunt.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,327,053 times
I wouldn't want everybody and their brother to "think" I go walking around with a lot of cash. If I did, I certainly wouldn't advertise it.

Take a lesson from businesses which post signs saying they have little or no cash kept in the cash register. They want everyone to "think" there is very little cash there as this discourages robberies. They may have 30K in the back room at times, but they don't want anyone to know that.

Branch banks don't keep a whole lot of cash around for the same reason. That is why this guy's bank had to order it.

Criminals will do nasty stuff for just a couple of hundred dollars.

If you must walk around with large amounts of cash, best to look like a broke bum. Might want to ask people if they have "spare change" and push a shopping cart for added effect. No one will bother you!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,803,031 times
The bank where I worked had a customer who wanted a large amount of cash. It was an amount so large that the bank didn't have that amount on hand for a normal day of business. He was advised he'd have to let us know what amount exactly he wanted, and the money was ordered. The money order was delivered weekly by armoured truck and on that day the customer came in to withdraw the amount of money he had requested. The man in the story who paid his debt in cash is fortunate the bank had such a large amount on hand that day.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,818,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
I don't disagree with you at all...but what if he gets robbed or in an accident, etc. in route from Bank 1 to Bank 2? Having worked at a Bank, all kinds of antenna go up in a situation like this. But, I agree, it is legal tender. Just not real smart.
Yeah, actually pretty dumb, IMO. Never carry more than you can afford to lose (or want to lose!)

Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,112,129 times
Quote:
The bank where I worked had a customer who wanted a large amount of cash. It was an amount so large that the bank didn't have that amount on hand for a normal day of business. He was advised he'd have to let us know what amount exactly he wanted, and the money was ordered. The money order was delivered weekly by armoured truck and on that day the customer came in to withdraw the amount of money he had requested. The man in the story who paid his debt in cash is fortunate the bank had such a large amount on hand that day.
If you read the article, tey didn't have the cash on hand. They ordered it and notified him the next day. I think they had to make special delivery arrangements.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,112,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
It was probably a "what a jerk" look on the teller's face.

Just like folks that pay in pennies to "make a statement"...all he accomplished was making some low-level working stiff's day a little less pleasant. The bank's big shots don't know or care about his little stunt.
He made someone do their job. I don't see the harm in that. In fact, he probably did them a favor by breaking up the routine. I know someone who worked in aqa bank for a while, until they couldn't take anymore from the boredom. Tey simply repeated the same 6 transactions over and over every day.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
He made someone do their job. I don't see the harm in that. In fact, he probably did them a favor by breaking up the routine. I know someone who worked in aqa bank for a while, until they couldn't take anymore from the boredom. Tey simply repeated the same 6 transactions over and over every day.

I find that very hard to believe...knowing there are numerous types of transactions done during a day. True, the most common are deposits and withdrawals I guess. But with a long line most of the day, we were rarely if ever bored. In fact, the day flew by.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
If you read the article, tey didn't have the cash on hand. They ordered it and notified him the next day. I think they had to make special delivery arrangements.
Yes, I read the article. You're right, they had to order the cash. And called him to the bank when the cash came and took him into a private room where they counted out the money to him and he put it in a paper grocery sack and physically left the bank.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,553,830 times
Quote:
He could have saved a lot of time by just doing a transfer from one account to the other, lol. Of course, that would have required common sense!

He obviously knew that. The purpose of taking the cash out and going to the bank teller, was just that. he wanted to cherish the reaction face to face.....if you ask me.......its [mod edit] awesome what he did....

Last edited by Oildog; 06-02-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance