Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM

144 posts, read 304,635 times

Advertisements

The elderly woman bus monitor who was bullied and threatened with a video of the incident posted on youtube, and has now received a gift of over half a million from sympathizers, I read as a bus monitor she was making about 15 grand a year. To be clear, I feel very bad for this woman, and have no gripes with people freely giving to her cause, and I heard she's going to donate most of it to charities. What I do have issue with is that if this is true, she and others in her position get paid 15 grand, to do what, exactly? Sit on a school bus of kids/preteens, and "monitor" things a few hours on school days? Is that all she's paid to do, the extent of her job description? If she really was making 15 grand doing that and others are as well, I feel like a huge sucker. I work as an assistant manager for a major retailer, 40 hours a week doing a whole hell of a lot more than sitting on a school bus. I deal with horrible employees, and even worse customers, I have been there for 3 years and each year get raises of 10-25 CENTS, I am lucky if I break 10 grand earnings on the year. Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but if this 15 grand figure is true I feel like a fool going what I go through for the money I'm making. I would very much like to switch careers/jobs, I'm in my mid twenties, I did graduate HS but never went to college and this is really the only job experience I have. I don't want to be a bus monitor but 15 grand a year would be a lot of money to me. Suggestions? does this belong in education forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM

657 posts, read 718,380 times
**** move up to teacher and you can makes 90k and get 3 weeks off and if you real good move up to bus driver and 127k and just sit on the bus ...........doing s h * t.

its a broken system ----------

teachers always complain that their job sucks ....you should introduced yourself .......dude ...

any way while you have a job look for a job and get out of that field retail su ck s big time.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 AM

22,655 posts, read 47,843,952 times
Sounds like someone needs to look for a new job....

Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like someone needs to look for a new job....
Agreed. 10k a year is like a little more than $5 an hour annually. I remember in high school getting paid more than $5 an hour and this was when the minimum wage was $4.15

Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,318,099 times
What "major retailer" are you working for, a corner hotdog stand? I was an assistant manager for a major retailer and made $70K. That was one of the better-paying retailers, but even places like Dollar General pay their management much, much more than what you're making. If you like what you do overall, have some experience, and are worth a crap at it, you should be able to find a retailer that will hire you and double or triple your salary to start.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,547,880 times
Agreed, move on up to a better paying retailer, you're being under paid if you're in a fulltime management position.

Although keep in mind the cost of living in New York State, where the woman worked. Are you in a low cot of living area where those wages go farther? I know that in my area one could not afford to keep a roof over their head on 10K a year.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,960,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
The elderly woman bus monitor who was bullied and threatened with a video of the incident posted on youtube, and has now received a gift of over half a million from sympathizers, I read as a bus monitor she was making about 15 grand a year. To be clear, I feel very bad for this woman, and have no gripes with people freely giving to her cause, and I heard she's going to donate most of it to charities. What I do have issue with is that if this is true, she and others in her position get paid 15 grand, to do what, exactly? Sit on a school bus of kids/preteens, and "monitor" things a few hours on school days? Is that all she's paid to do, the extent of her job description? If she really was making 15 grand doing that and others are as well, I feel like a huge sucker. I work as an assistant manager for a major retailer, 40 hours a week doing a whole hell of a lot more than sitting on a school bus. I deal with horrible employees, and even worse customers, I have been there for 3 years and each year get raises of 10-25 CENTS, I am lucky if I break 10 grand earnings on the year. Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but if this 15 grand figure is true I feel like a fool going what I go through for the money I'm making. I would very much like to switch careers/jobs, I'm in my mid twenties, I did graduate HS but never went to college and this is really the only job experience I have. I don't want to be a bus monitor but 15 grand a year would be a lot of money to me. Suggestions? does this belong in education forum?
Either you're just making stuff up, or your lack of math skills is part of the reason you aren't happy with your salary.
Federal minimum wage is (I believe) $7.25 per hour. If you work 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year, you'll earn $14,500.

Also, it sounds like you REALLY dislike your job. You should probably be looking for something else anyway, as there is no way to be successful at the job if you are that miserable.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
I would NOT want to be a school bus monitor (or driver) for 50K!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM

144 posts, read 304,635 times
Well I will be making more than 10k this year, but I haven't been where I'm at now for the full 3 years. My main point, was even if I do around 15k this year, that I learned this elderly bus monitor makes that for sitting on a bus not doing much of anything was very surprising and frustrating to me. My state's minimum is 8 and I do get more than that, I live in a high-cost area, and I prefer to not say the specific company but they are Fortune 500. I can't imagine anyone liking this job, I would say I am successful at it even though I hate it, but no, I don't want to stay at it. Don't really feel I have other options.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:42 PM

22,655 posts, read 47,843,952 times
So you are frustrated about other peoples' wages/jobs, but not frustrated enough to improve your situation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance