Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM

30,954 posts, read 37,174,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Got to help yourself before others.
Most of the time, I don't think it's an either/or. Unless you're living at poverty level, you can do both at the same time.

The irony is....in many ways he would be in a better position to help others if he didn't still have to work, was in better health, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
If you're feeling bad about your financial situation, this will make you feel better.

I have an uncle who has spent nearly all of his savings, including his retirement and taking an lump sum pension on lottery scratch off tickets. He also puts tickets on his credit card but doesn't quite understand the concept of paying interest and how interest compounds, etc.
His parents enabled him his entire life, and when they passed away and he was on his own, he was like a child.
Maybe someday he'll hit the $10 million dollar prize and all his finanical worries will be over but until then, it's an incredibly frustrating situation for the family.
Someone like that will even blow $10 million pretty quickly.

I know of someone who inherited 700K around 10 years back. He blew through the money, gambling in Reno and buying a lot of Disney paraphernalia, and various other assorted junk. This, even though he lived in an expensive area, was HIV+, and into his 50s. He could have set himself up to be comfortable, maying drawing an income from the inheritance (it was invested in municipal bonds) and then maybe working part time. Instead, he was stressed out and living payday to payday.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,529,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Someone like that will even blow $10 million pretty quickly.

I know of someone who inherited 700K around 10 years back. He blew through the money, gambling in Reno and buying a lot of Disney paraphernalia, and various other assorted junk. This, even though he lived in an expensive area, was HIV+, and into his 50s. He could have set himself up to be comfortable, maying drawing an income from the inheritance (it was invested in municipal bonds) and then maybe working part time. Instead, he was stressed out and living payday to payday.
Studies have show that people who inherit, win the lottery are more likely to lose that money fast then someone who actually had to work for it.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM

224 posts, read 497,334 times
Quote:
Studies have show that people who inherit, win the lottery are more likely to lose that money fast then someone who actually had to work for it.
I am going to butcher it so I won't try to quote him, but Warren Buffett explained why he wasn't going to leave hoards of $ to his children -- he didn't want to deprive them of the satisfaction of earning it themselves. I think that's brilliant. When you've worked hard for your pennies, nickels, and dimes you take pride in that money and are more likely to covet it, protect it, and make wiser decisions with it. After all.... you WORKED for it! When given a large sum of money it almost doesn't seem real to a lot of people; it's like they're playing Monopoly and they'll spend, spend, spend. Why not, right?! It's FUN Not to say there aren't plenty of folks who are good with their inheritance and manage the money they are gifted wisely, but I do see why the above quote is true. Gifted money feels like a credit card.... it isn't "real".... it isn't "tangible".... you didn't give up your time and energy to earn it. Interesting.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Studies have shown that people who inherit, win the lottery are more likely to lose that money fast than someone who actually had to work for it.
Yep, absolutely.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,941 times
being rich does not 'insure' your life from problems.. you still can get hurt and your wife can cheat and divorce you

Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,219,883 times
I never asked him, but the one really wealthy guy I knew (inheritance) didn't seem all that happy to me. He's a fundamentalist Christian, maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,529,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skevo View Post
being rich does not 'insure' your life from problems.. you still can get hurt and your wife can cheat and divorce you
Pre-nup before you get married.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,043,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I actually agree, but I hate to break it to you guys that median family income in the US is about $55k, and invidiual income is $32k for those over 25 years old. That means that half of the people in the US who are over age 25 and employed make less than $32k a year. Being broke if the water heater goes out is middle class in the US; therefore "rich" begins at the point where a broken water heater plus a vacation is no big deal and ends at the point where you have a higher net worth than something like 1/7 (~30 million) of the working people in the entire country.

I think that the US's horrible income disparity is disturbing; not that definitions of "rich" are disturbing.
Wrong. It fell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/bu...-fed-says.html

Median family income fell to $45,800 in 2010 from $49,600 in 2007. All figures were adjusted for inflation.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,043,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Correct so far.

Again... NO, it isn't.

It's sad and awful thst so many don't have more than they do and very likely they never will...
but that doesn't mean they get to re-define what middle class is to accommodate the math of
having so many more poor than there should be.

Now you're finally getting back to the actual problem.
But changing the definition of middle class to include what used to be just plain poor
to make all these poor people feel better about themselves isn't the solution.
---

ps: If you can't manage to do the WH repair without stressing your financial world
then you probably shouldn't be a homeowner at all
You hit it on the head. Part of the problem is that a number of people tend to live beyond their means. You should be able to take care of all expenses, have an emergency stash, and be squirreling away a nice amount for your retirement, and maybe the kid's college fund. If you are not as described, you are living beyond your means, should not have kids, and should live in a cheaper abode.

Last edited by goldengrain; 09-03-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance