Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,532,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
then you should understand the answer to your own question
You are obviously confused. You can't answer the question because you don't know whether economic depression (from the standpoint of a retiree) is a good thing or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times
Quote:
show us where kitces says otherwise....
I don't understand, I just did. Quite clearly, I thought.

It is at: Research Reveals Cash Reserve Strategies Don't Work... Unless You're A Good Market Timer? - kitces.com | Nerd's Eye View

You're welcome.

Kitces obviously believes your investment strategy is good for those that need the emotional comfort, but it underperforms because of the cash drag on returns.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM

106,935 posts, read 109,196,656 times
WELL THATS NOT WHAT HE SAYS HERE

Are Retirement "Bucket" Strategies An Asset Allocation Mirage? - kitces.com | Nerd's Eye View

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Just got to read your article for the first time .

Thanks as thats the article i was looking for to see how they ran the study...

To be honest it really isnt comparing apples to apples.

They used a cash bucket and a stock bucket and only went a max of 4 years. like they said in the article after 4 years there wasnt much gained even after a bounce in the equities bucket.

To tell you the truth i would be surprised if no buffer didnt out perform.

I really cant tell though what the results would be with an actual system like i use.

We use 3 buckets and the cash is split with a bond and reit income bucket that has capital gains as well as higher income then cash.

They also only went out 4 years which is nothing in the scheme of things.

Hitting the stock bucket with in a 4 year period really isnt letting the gains grow .

My plan has that equity bucket not being spent down for 15 years and allowed to grow.

For now until i see a better pertaining study my comments are reserved as to the out comes.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times
Quote:
In that article he's basically saying that when viewed as an overall asset allocation it can perform similarly buckets or no buckets. 40/60 vs. 40/60. That doesn't mean a portfolio that is too light in stocks because of the huge cash cushion will outperform a one that is more in line what statistics have shown produce a better return. Basically your bucket strategy with only 40% allocated to stocks can match a systematic withdrawal strategy from another portfolio also weighted only 40% in stocks. That doesn't mean your 40/60 it will match a 70/30 portfolio in perfomance, as previous link clearly demonstrates. What you are doing with your huge cash cushion is driving down your stock allocation to levels that make your portfolio under perform.

Of course in your link he sums up with:

Nonetheless, the bottom line is that even if the asset allocation benefits of the bucket strategy might be a mirage, the psychological benefits may be real enough to merit more attention to the strategy, and more focus on ways that it could be implemented practically across a client base.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM

IM not so sure on the out come using the criteria in ray lucias bucket system. its just to different from what they tested. i cant say either way yet for sure..

personally the ease of using it and psych advantage out weigh any slight differences that may exist.

if the difference are huge then its up in the air which way to go but for now that study wasnt conclusive enough for our system.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM

i think a big difference between the 3 bucket system and their simple 2 bucket is we are actually getting more aggressive each year . so much so that if you do no rebalancing until the very end you can be 90%-95% equities at that point before you refill 15 years later..

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You are obviously confused. You can't answer the question because you don't know whether economic depression (from the standpoint of a retiree) is a good thing or not.
depression is always bad but that doesnt mean when you enter the results for a 30 year time frame into the likes of the trinity study or firecalc that what happened to the money of those who retired in 1921 beyond the window of the depression for 30 years let them end up being able to pull the biggest amounts of money out of their nest eggs then any other generation without failure.

try 1926 or any other year around the depression and the results werent so good and many were a whole lot worse . its a year by year thing just looking at rolling 30 year periods.

i still think you have no clue what any of this is about if your still harping on the same question.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Your entire rant is a straw man argument. You are assuming people are stupid and don't adapt to changed circumstances. The 4% SWR is a lowest common denominator type-guideline that is robust when applied on a portfolio consisting of the S&P 500 and and US treasury bonds. Show me anyone who invests only in the SP 500 and T-bonds. That's a bare bones portfolio with expected middling returns. In reality, well-informed investors are more diversified than that. They invest in small caps, REITS, foreign stocks, TIPS, commodities - higher risk asset classes with expected higher returns.

And in the real world, people adjust their spending according to how much money they have. Bear markets result in deflation. People eat out less, take vacations less. When they get real old, they just lay in bed the whole time. Nature has a way of imposing limits on unsustainable behavior, SWR or no SWR. The importance of the 4% SWR is that it gives people a number around which to work on their budgets. It is a guideline (as acknowledged by the Trinity authors), not the Ten Commandments.
duh! show me one place im agreeing with taking a fixed swr... . this thread has been about what the work of others have said if your reading whats being posted and whats wrong with the 4% rule going forward..

they keep trying to doctor up the numbers with new data to improve the forward future telling but there are just to many variables including humans dont act in a fixed manner taking the same withdrawal year after year like robots.

its no different then human nature when we work. if we get a pay cut we spend less , if we get a raise we may spend more.

thats what people do when they retire. our spending is either going to be variable based on whats happening around us or like one fellow on another forum does is he takes around 4% and whatever he doesnt spend in a year he puts in a seperate account on the side, doesnt count it as part of his balance and supplements in down markets with it so he can cut his witthdrwawals until markets recover.

trying to find a fixed number in a variable world is fun on paper but only works out after the fact when back tested. people react in real time and adjust .

trying to use a fixed number may just as wrongly keep you from spending more and enjoying more things you could have done or it will leave you broke if your living in one of the failure periods.

this is about the only thing i agree with you on.

that doesnt mean prudent planning of whatever you do shouldnt be until at least 92 for a man and 95 for a woman though or at least start with a prediction on a financial calculator as a baseline.

that i believe 100% is the smart thing to do. better to plan longer and have to much for your spouse or heirs then not enough for them.

at least make sure the basic math for your plan works then fine tune it to real time events is my view.

as far as the 4% swr there is no disputing the facts, it worked 95% of the time in the past if you used the allocations they figured.

but like the saying there is a 95% chance you will never get a speeding ticket on the highway at 5 miles an hour or less over the limit how many people just do that in practice. very few i would say driving around here. most are 10 over the limit or below 55.

on paper yeah its true but in practice very few follow the conditions to make it true .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-05-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,532,076 times
Quote:
depression is always bad but that doesnt mean when you enter the results for a 30 year time frame into the likes of the trinity study or firecalc that what happened to the money of those who retired in 1921 beyond the window of the depression for 30 years let them end up being able to pull the biggest amounts of money out of their nest eggs then any other generation without failure.

try 1926 or any other year around the depression and the results werent so good and many were a whole lot worse . its a year by year thing just looking at rolling 30 year periods.

i still think you have no clue what any of this is about if your still harping on the same question.
This is what you said:
Quote:
the great depression included the 1921 time frame which was the highest swr ever at over 10% . the great depression 30 year retirement period was an example of the best time frame ever not the worst..
News flash: the Great Depression didn't start until 1929. So to count 1921 as part of the great depression is dishonest. The 1920s were called the Roaring Twenties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a good reason. The US economy was booming and the stock market was in bull market mode. No depression there (not until 1929 anyway).

This is what I notice about your posts. You pull out numbers and make statements that contradict each other, making them sound like FACTS as if no one will notice. The great depression did not include the 1921 time frame. You merely pulled that out of your rear end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance