Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, but -- the last I heard, the military wasn't accepting everybody that walked through the doors. In fact, I know a guy that was booted after two weeks of boot camp.... he ain't getting a pension. ( they should have never let him in -- he was unstable)
I had it in my mind that the OP is an RN. Those and Doctors are in demand as are Electrical Engineers. Which was why I had suggested it.

He has training in a field that is in demand by that employer.

Of course they try to screen out the unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I hear you.

The career I was mentioning to the OP has not gone away, and still offers a 20-year pension.

I understand that many other employers have stopped this practice.
Well see if that career pays out pensions to people in 30 years. I'm betting it won't, or at the very least, the pension payout will be much less as a % of final salary (or at a later age, or both) than the current benefit.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, but -- the last I heard, the military wasn't accepting everybody that walked through the doors. In fact, I know a guy that was booted after two weeks of boot camp.... he ain't getting a pension. ( they should have never let him in -- he was unstable)
And let's take a look at the huge amounts of debt we're taking on. Something (probably many things) will have to be scaled back or eliminated or we will go the way of Greece.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well see if that career pays out pensions to people in 30 years. I'm betting it won't, or at the very least, the pension payout will be much less as a % of final salary (or at a later age, or both) than the current benefit.
That's a risk in any job. I'm a newly minted federal employee and whose to say that I'll have a pension when it comes time for me to retire. I can only plan within the parameters that are available. If the target changes I'll just have to adapt and compensate.

Besides military pensions are a drop in a bucket in comparison to medicare/medicaid/social security...

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
That's a risk in any job. I'm a newly minted federal employee and whose to say that I'll have a pension when it comes time for me to retire. I can only plan within the parameters that are available. If the target changes I'll just have to adapt and compensate.

Besides military pensions are a drop in a bucket in comparison to medicare/medicaid/social security...
I'm not disagreeing. But my point is that anyone who still has a job with a pension should save as if they aren't going to get it. If you get a job with a pension that you like, great. But don't work there primarily because of the pension. I have a public sector job with a pension and that's what I've always tried to do since I started working there in 1996 when everything looked rosy and people said stuff like "you'll never have to worry about retirement because of the pension". Good thing I didn't listen to those folks, because the pension plan where I work is in the process of being scaled back.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
I'm the independent type so I don't want to rely on anyone's money but my own, so I agree with you. I'm fully funding my TSP. If the projections are close, I'll have more than 3 million in "future dollars". I could live on that for a number of years without having to rely on a pension or SS if I have to. I'll consider my ROTH-IRA my slush fund and rental properties my monthly allowance. We'll see though, I'm 32 now and have 30-35 years till I'll be eligible for retirement

Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 AM

198 posts, read 484,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Those figures seem low. I'm aiming for $7.5M.
They are low. The assumption used was living only to age 75. Plus living off $50k a year doesn't allow much of a lifestyle. Running the numbers to age 80 or 85 plus using 100k a year is more realistic.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,504 times
Why would anyone want to retire at age 50? unless your job is really stressful, or if you are in bad health..

Stay in the workforce make your mind sharper, less time thinking about unnecessary things, meet people, and still able to have time off like weekends and holidays.

Also don't have to worry about health insurance.

I probably work until i die, because i do not want to be counting pennies, and get the cheapest stuff.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Why would anyone want to retire at age 50? unless your job is really stressful, or if you are in bad health..

Stay in the workforce make your mind sharper, less time thinking about unnecessary things, meet people, and still able to have time off like weekends and holidays.

Also don't have to worry about health insurance.

I probably work until i die, because i do not want to be counting pennies, and get the cheapest stuff.
Why would someone WANT to work past 50?

Why do people want to work their life away?

I'm on a week-long motorcycle trip right now, went over to my land, traveling the highways and byways, visiting people, and planning the construction of my cabin.

Next week I'll be negotiating my next contract, but I'll be more concerned with the flexability than the pay since I have decided I want to spend more time up here... (or the pay will need to be like the last one, I look at the money to time ratio)

There are PLENTY of things I can do, people I can meet etc. I have no need to work to fufill those areas of my life.

Life is too short to work it away.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
What job accepts everyone? I'm sure even McDonalds turns away people.
Sometimes I wonder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance