Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,891,622 times

Advertisements

The Passat is a perfectly nice mid-level vehicle that says 'I like German engineering at a reasonable price'. We've got one and have generally been happy with it, though for our next vehicle, we'll probably go with something with a few more horsies under the hood like a BMW or Mercedes. Downsides- like the more expensive German cars, it also has annoyingly expensive proprietary and hard to find parts (we can only get new windshield wiper blades locally by going through the dealer) and some versions require premium fuel.

Eh. Don't overthink it too much, test drive both the Passat and the Fusion, pick one, and then go ahead and become part of California car culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,993,918 times
It doesn't really matter what car you have*, just keep it clean. You'll look better than 95% of the cars on the road.

I drive a Mazda, a MAZDA! but I get tons of compliments just because the wax job makes the color pop.

Male, 28 y/o, Aerospace Engineer.

* Well, I may have been to broad. Just don't get a KIA or Scion. They don't look good even when they're brand new on the lot.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,533,312 times
Buy what you want and can afford. All this concern about what others think seems a bit odd. You are not going out and buying an Escalade here. No one is going to care if you have a new Accord.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,731,230 times
I am an engineering manager, 30; I was a senior engineer in 3 separate roles since I was 24; I drive a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX and meet with clients, customers, subcontractors, coworkers, and everyone else under the sun with my car. Most people I come across have a 'nicer' car than me; Very few of them go on as many vacations as I do; See where I'm going with this?

This is an overt amount of thought put into what others think based on your car. People drive all kinds of cars and rarely does anyone pass more than a quick judgement or comment on someone based on their car (unless it's dirty or smelly and they have to get inside it). No one is going to take you less seriously based upon your car than they would based upon your hygiene and dress.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM

49 posts, read 102,742 times
I am 26, and an air traffic controller at EWR. I recently completed all my training and to celebrate I bought a 2012 BMW 650i. I have wanted a high end car since I was 13. I had no loans, single, and no kids. For me, it was worth every penny. For someone else, it might be a total rip-off. To each his own.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
I am 26, and an air traffic controller at EWR. I recently completed all my training and to celebrate I bought a 2012 BMW 650i. I have wanted a high end car since I was 13. I had no loans, single, and no kids. For me, it was worth every penny. For someone else, it might be a total rip-off. To each his own.
Details please. I'm in the aviation industry. Entry level ATC pulls in around 50k if that?

Own or lease said BMW?
live at home, apartment, or carry a mortgage?
how many % of the income goes to the car, how many % to rent/mortgage?

A friend of mine did something similar when he landed a job. He bought a Mercedes SLK.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,882,084 times
you could have bought a plane

Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Details please. I'm in the aviation industry. Entry level ATC pulls in around 50k if that?

Own or lease said BMW?
live at home, apartment, or carry a mortgage?
how many % of the income goes to the car, how many % to rent/mortgage?

A friend of mine did something similar when he landed a job. He bought a Mercedes SLK.
I rent in Hoboken, $1500/month+utlilities. Looking to get a house soon..i I paid cash for the car, I had about $50,000 when I started ATC when I was 23 since I went to Beaver County Community College and had a full time job all thorough..and never took loans, which is HUGE. It is incremental pay, when you start out of the academy you make about $56k in NYC, $90 first to second year, if you make it, and then it depends how quickly you can certify. When I was 25 I started making 6 figures. This was called the D2 pay..then I checked out on all positions and this summer made CPC which is certified controller. It was a hell of a lot of work. I make $137,400 now that I am fully certified controller. It is not easy but worth it. My secret was to not take out student loans and not buy a house. In ATC a lot of people say 'never buy a house until you certify' and I couldn't agree more. Good luck and yes I could have bought a plane LOL. I love my job but it is not for everyone. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have seen, some a lot smarter than me, who can't cut it here at EWR. They rarely put newbies at the big shows anymore. Some of the centers yes, I know a friend going to ZNY out in Long Island. The top paid controllers out there at new york center make like $167,000. Its a sick gig if you can get it. You have to work nights and weekends but its a small price to pay for such a cool high paying job. Stressful to some, exhilarating to most who do it. 6 figure federal job with full benefits, training, and extremely specialized skills....great career but very hard to get in as you could imagine. There are currently like 15 applicants for each position open, and each one of those applicants is qualified (they have taken the exams etc)

Last edited by Nighthawk191; 09-05-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk191 View Post
I rent in Hoboken, $1500/month+utlilities. Looking to get a house soon..i I paid cash for the car, I had about $50,000 when I started ATC when I was 23 since I went to Beaver County Community College and had a full time job all thorough..and never took loans, which is HUGE. It is incremental pay, when you start out of the academy you make about $56k in NYC, $90 first to second year, if you make it, and then it depends how quickly you can certify. When I was 25 I started making 6 figures. This was called the D2 pay..then I checked out on all positions and this summer made CPC which is certified controller. It was a hell of a lot of work. I make $137,400 now that I am fully certified controller. It is not easy but worth it. My secret was to not take out student loans and not buy a house. In ATC a lot of people say 'never buy a house until you certify' and I couldn't agree more. Good luck and yes I could have bought a plane LOL. I love my job but it is not for everyone. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have seen, some a lot smarter than me, who can't cut it here at EWR. They rarely put newbies at the big shows anymore. Some of the centers yes, I know a friend going to ZNY out in Long Island. The top paid controllers out there at new york center make like $167,000. Its a sick gig if you can get it. You have to work nights and weekends but its a small price to pay for such a cool high paying job. Stressful to some, exhilarating to most who do it. 6 figure federal job with full benefits, training, and extremely specialized skills....great career but very hard to get in as you could imagine. There are currently like 15 applicants for each position open, and each one of those applicants is qualified (they have taken the exams etc)
wow congrats. So you're far better off than I assumed. I thought you would be D1 or D2 being you're so young. driving a BMW for someone making $130k doesn't seem unreasonable. Still, I think you got lucky landing such a great job. I know people still waiting to get their call on the ATC spot. Sweet gig.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Yeah, thanks. Most controllers CPC within 2-3 years. Depends on the person, really. Some people have a gift for it. Took me about 28 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance