Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,506,025 times

Advertisements

$30.00 - $60.00 every couple months, I cook at home most of the time and the $60.00 is high for us within a couple month period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,625,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
dude...relax a little. It is a conversion in an online forum. Don't have a heart attack about it. Obviously you can eat unhealthy cooking from scratch. You were the one who accused me of having poor health for eating out all the time. By saying that you implied that eating at home is healthier.

Stop being argumentative, especially when you blatantly contradict yourself like this.
Reading skills are your friend.
Cooking at home is about controlling the ingredients. Scratch is part of it, but it's not the whole story.

Stop rationalizing your laziness and we're cool.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,249,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Reading skills are your friend.

Stop rationalizing your laziness and we're cool.
Alright tiger, lets go a little slower. You replied to me claiming this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your crappy health will be more expensive in the long run.
which is an outright lie, given how healthy many modern restaurants are.

And my time is much better spent on things other than cooking. Why the hell would I waste my time cooking when someone could do that for me? I assume you think anyone who uses a dishwasher instead of washing by hand is lazy too? My god the stupidity.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM

31,769 posts, read 40,914,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
which is an outright lie, given how healthy many modern restaurants are.
its definitely not accurate and doesnt belong in this discussion. one can eat healthy even if they go out a lot and one can eat unhealthy even if they make every meal. its all about their own self control and choices. also, the fat/salt ingested can be managed with reducing your portion (# of calories is the primary health issue). there are no guarantees your health will suffer and expenses will go up simply by the fact that you eat out/take out a lot, the point doesnt belong in this discussion.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,249,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its definitely not accurate and doesnt belong in this discussion. one can eat healthy even if they go out a lot and one can eat unhealthy even if they make every meal. its all about their own self control and choices. also, the fat/salt ingested can be managed with reducing your portion (# of calories is the primary health issue). there are no guarantees your health will suffer and expenses will go up simply by the fact that you eat out/take out a lot, the point doesnt belong in this discussion.
I completely agree, which is why I specified earlier that I almost solely eat in smaller, locally owned restaurants where I know how the food is prepared. Fortunately I have the ability to do that given how many options I have living in a city.

I was simply countering stan's accusation that I MUST be unhealthy given how often I eat out. Sorry for the conversation going off point, I started by responding to his post accusing me of poor health, and I should have ignored what most likely was a troll trying to get a rise out of someone.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM

3,915 posts, read 4,501,092 times
I know my example isnt the target demographic you were asking about, but I feel compelled to chime in here. When the wife and I were dating, we would go out mainly on the weekends, we were pretty flexible on what type of meal we got, from the cheap McDonalds type fast food to something mid scale like Chilis/Fridays/etc. Occasionally we would go to something upscale like the Texas De Brazil...we would spend between 50-100 per weekend which would be between 200-400 a month.

Fast forward several years, now we are married with three kids. The oldest has to pay for meals so when we go out it can cost minimum 50 at a Chilis type restaurant for one meal, and we go out at least two/three times a week (again, mainly on weekends), plus random meal pickups when we dont feel like cooking so we spend anywhere from 250-500.

Needless to say, this eating out has had a negative effect on both my gut and wallet, so in a bid to lose weight, I started cooking healthy at home, minimizing eating out. And it has had a great effect so far. I've lost weight and kept my spending down. The problem is going to be how to formulate a plan for the long term, as totalling abstaining from eating out is probably not going to happen...it's been tough for me as I love Indian/Chinese buffets, a great local Dallas restaurant called Babes, and this really nice Brazilian buffet place as well. I would like to reintroduce eating out maybe once a week, but worry that it would be too easy to fall back into the old habits...food for thought.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,056,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
You could cook too you know. My girlfriend and I usually split the cooking details. She'll cook a few meals, then I'll cook a few meals, etc.
If I do breakfasts, she does dinners.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,936,672 times
Used to eat out all of the time at sit down places, 5 days a week minimum.

Now that we have a 2 year old and 4 month old, we avoid eating out at sit down places! If we do eat out, it's grabbing Wendy's or some McD's via the drive thru. We spend around $100 a month eating out, mostly fast food.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,552,517 times
$350 grocery and $200 eat out. That is mostly all organic groceries and we don't eat out a ton support local business that are a bit more expensive.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,764 times
My wife and I used to roll up $500-$700/month in the way of restaurant/bar tabs but cut that in half in the last two years. You'd be surprised how much more money you have and how much better you feel after being off high-cal restaurant food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance