Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times

Advertisements

The rich and poor think differantly I am told. The mindset is on two very differant planes.

If you are thinking of how you will pay the bills then chances are you are poor. If your thoughts are how you will make more money then you are rich or may be so someday. Where are you in the spectrum? What is it that you think about, paying the bills or making more money?

I started thinking about this and it seems that I have been in the latter group, I always am concerned with how to increase the money coming into the home and don't seem to worry about how we will make it month to month. It would seem that with a larger block of people trying to make it then more would be in the how to pay the bills mindset and not how to make more money.

Still I am thinking that their is a lot to the making more money idea. I mean if you only have $X and you have to spend $Y then you will always be in the how am I going to make it group. It seems to me that it is the hardest group to be in as you can never answer the question of how you will make it when you don't have the funds to get past the month.

Concentrating on just making more money, what ever it takes, seems to be the less stressfull path to making it in life. Bills are a downer anyway and money seems to make people feel good. The more you have the better you feel. The more you have the less stress is in your life. I guess what I am saying is that it is so much easier being part of the make more money set than the how am I going to pay my bills set and the best part is that anyone can leave the pay my bills group and join the make more money group by changing how they think.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Neither.

At work I focus on my job and what I'm doing, at home I focus on tasks that need done (one of which is 45 minutes/month writing checks to pay the bills) like getting the yard/house ready for winter, refurbishing my goose decoys and ground blinds, and the various community activities I'm involved with.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
North Beach person,

You have a job. Why do you have a job?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Definitely on making money....I went to grad school at night while working full time, so I could afford to pay my own tuition. I ended up borrowing the full amount of tuition in student loans anyway so that I could use that money as a down payment on an investment property, simply because the money I would make out of it over time was worth more to me than the risk of having significantly more in loans/bills/debt.

It isn't something I really consciously try to do, it is just the way I think.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Out of those two, I definitely focus on making money more than I do on paying bills. This is evident by the fact that I actually see my paychecks and I never see my bills. If you have making money covered, you only have to think about one bill.... the bill that pays the people that manage your finances (ok ok, you have to worry about the auditors bill as well).

Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
I am in the pay the bills category.

I am still a young guy, but i would like to be playing the stock market. Unfortunately most of my extra money goes towards paying down my debt (student loans mostly, but I have a small car loan as well). I am trying to pay em off so that I can feel right about investing

Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Concentrate on making money. I have more control over that then the majority of my bills.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
Neither. My bills are low because I am frugal and my more-than-adequate income is pretty much fixed and I'm not going to work a second job. I don't worry much about my investments either.

A person who has a low paying job is probably living paycheck-to-paycheck so it only makes sense that they would worry about paying their bills. This is not a flawed mindset on their part.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Interesting way of looking at things. I tend to think more about paying bills but I'm going to make an effort to think more about making money.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
What an interesting question.
Now that I think about it, making money more than paying bills.

Bills...well, I don't incur bills that I would have issue paying. So they are not really foremost in my thoughts.

But really, making money is not some big huge goal, either. Just if I have to choose between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance