Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 PM

275 posts, read 1,284,192 times

Advertisements

When buying something in a store, the cashier sometimes ask if I would like "debit or credit"?

I wonder what will happen if I choose debit for credit card?

Is getting some small amount of cash when buying something only possible when credit card is used as "debit"?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
No, you can't make a credit card a debit card, but every debit card can be used as a credit card - of course, you can spend only so much you have in your account ( so, practically a debit card is not a credit card )
Your check/debit card must have a Visa, Mastercard or a Discover symbol to work as a Credit purchase but still comes out of your checking account.
http://learn.bankofamerica.com/artic...dit-cards.html

You can't use your credit card as your debit card because there is no money you own (belong to you). Credit card is to BORROW money.

Last edited by elnina; 09-22-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Is it possible to get extra cash when using credit cards to purchase something in a store? Just like cashback on purchase by a debit card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, you can't make a credit card a debit card, but every debit card can be used as a credit card - of course, you can spend only so much you have on your account ( so, practically a debit card is not a credit card )
Your check/debit card must have a Visa, Mastercard or a Discover symbol to work as a Credit purchase but still comes out of your checking account.
Debit Cards vs. Credit Cards: How Debit and Credit Cards Work | Bank of America

Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Yes, you can get a cash advance ( usually much higher interest rate ), but not in a store. To get a cash advance you need to use ATM machine or go to the bank.
You need to look at your credit card monthly statement. There is written down how much you are allowed to take as a cash advance ( and the interest rate is listed there too )
You will pay it back like you have to pay back when you make a purchase.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,294,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Is it possible to get extra cash when using credit cards to purchase something in a store? Just like cashback on purchase by a debit card?
No. And you wouldn't want to. You have to go to a bank for a cash advance. The interest rates are very high and there is no grace period. Most of my cards have a 5.9 interest rate but cash advances are 24.99%.

Don't get into the habit of doing this.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,503,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, you can get a cash advance ( usually much higher interest rate ), but not in a store. To get a cash advance you need to use ATM machine or go to the bank.
You need to look at your credit card monthly statement. There is written down how much you are allowed to take as a cash advance ( and the interest rate is listed there too )
You will pay it back like you have to pay back when you make a purchase.

I read timlee's question this way:

"Can I use my credit card as a debit card in order to get cash back at the store the same way people use debit cards, to get small amounts of cash while shopping, in order to avoid cash advance and ATM charges?"

Apparently, your answer is "No, you cannot."

I

Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM

971 posts, read 1,456,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I read timlee's question this way:

"Can I use my credit card as a debit card in order to get cash back at the store the same way people use debit cards, to get small amounts of cash while shopping, in order to avoid cash advance and ATM charges?"

Apparently, your answer is "No, you cannot."

I
Yes you can use some credit cards and request $20, $40 or $80 back from Walmarts. I do all the time. This is a particular card but I have noticed many of the other credit card companies see that they are loosing out and offering cash back. My Cash back is limited to $200 per month and since I pay off the amount totally each month, I can get up to $200 the next month. I don't pay interest on any of my cards and I won't pay an annual fee for a credit card. One of the benefits of keeping good credit.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM

890 posts, read 1,651,641 times
Discover has a cash back option

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks! For those who said their credit card can give them some cash back on purchase, do you choose "credit" or "debit" mode?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks! For those who said their credit card can give them some cash back on purchase, do you choose "credit" or "debit" mode?
You do NOT have the option to choose debit for credit cards. A credit card is NOT a debit card.
elnina says that twice in the second post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance