Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 05:58 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,088,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No reason I can't sell more than one type of item at the same time, assuming different types of items can be photographed equally well with a single device.
Yes there is: your track record.

Sell anything recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 06:04 AM

30,944 posts, read 37,145,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
All good examples.

We know a couple, who are both on SSDI. They buy cheap beat-up vehicles and have the hardest time keeping a vehicle on the road. [I have had old beaters myself, so I understand the problem] So the husband bought a new motorcycle for himself, $10k financed. He does not have a motorcycle endorsement, so he can not drive it. A large chunk of his SSDI is going to payments on this loan, and he keeps polishing the bike. He says it is motivation for him to get more active. In the mean time, they do not have a road worthy vehicle. ???
It's very frustrating to watch people commit financial suicide.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM

9,987 posts, read 7,900,753 times
Quote:
No reason I can't sell more than one type of item at the same time, assuming different types of items can be photographed equally well with a single device.
Just a thought, why don't you sell whatever camera you have been using and use the proceeds to buy your smartphone? Really no need to over analyze this, just do it.

We have a very nice camera for work, but if I'm in a rush, my iPhone is much faster and the photos are great.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,801,124 times
Hey now.

Who are we do deny the poor their except into luxury?

That daily starbucks or pack of smokes is their only escape from a life of poverty, and we all know $2,000ish a year isn't going to get someone out of poverty.

At least this is what I was told when I vented to a friend about a family member who wants others to pay for their emergencies while living it up on paydays. Apparently I'm in the wrong to suggest they save money by making coffee at home, at least until they built up the smallest buffer of savings.

No, it's ok for me to deny myself the luxury of delivery food, prepackaged meals, and drive through coffee, my life is "easy." And I'm a jerk for not providing financial life suppprt to my family so that they can still indulge.

How did we get here? How are we at a point where we forbid the criticism of bad behavior and shame those that live modestly?

I just don't get it.

That $2,000 over a year could give them income smoothing, and reduce their stress more than any caffeinated milkshake (have you seen the calorie count on a frap?). By buying less stuff on paydays they could significantly and thus have less clutter in their house they could reduce their cortisol levels long term, not just on the back of a consumer purchase high.

But I'm the jerk for knowing that I make enough to be considered rich by most not on CD, but not enough to have things and pay for my kids college. I'm a jerk for not working for free a few days a month to support someone else's indulgences that I couldn't imagine, meanwhile they put in half the hours I do.

My family sacrifices to build our savings, why am I the bad guy for not wanting to give it away to support bad behavior?

Unless you count the use of sidewalks, and having professors with open door policies, nothing was given to me as an adult, it was all earned.

Bootstraps and delayed gratification aren't bad words.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:00 AM

17,412 posts, read 12,038,052 times
Quote:
According to Quicken Loans (TM), 3 Million Homeowners have been helped by HARP. Your Mileage May Vary.
HARP doesn't give anyone money. They refinance your home if you're upside down in it. You still have to make payments, AND you can't refi if you are late on your current payments (which you would be if you overspent).

And 3 million out of 86 million homeowners isn't a whole lot.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:07 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,682,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
HARP doesn't give anyone money. They refinance your home if you're upside down in it. You still have to make payments, AND you can't refi if you are late on your current payments (which you would be if you overspent).

You are allowed to have 1 30-day late in the past 12 months, but it can't be in the most recent 2 months. More than 1 and you are ineligible. And no 60-day lates or you are ineligible.

And of course, Harp is not for ALL homeowners, but for those who already have government backed loans. The government is offering to give you a better interest rate on your underwater loan in the hope you won't strategically default but will instead keep paying your mortgage.

Oh yes, Harp is a huge money grab for homeowners who overspend and don't pay their bills.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,577,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes there is: your track record.

Sell anything recently?

How would I sell anything with no way to list it?

(eBay 's software literally will not allow a listing without an image of the item, I've tried it.)

Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Let me know when they can refinance my rent. The 11 million Americans paying half their income on rent could sure use some help.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Hey now.

Who are we do deny the poor their except into luxury?

That daily starbucks or pack of smokes is their only escape from a life of poverty, and we all know $2,000ish a year isn't going to get someone out of poverty.

At least this is what I was told when I vented to a friend about a family member who wants others to pay for their emergencies while living it up on paydays. Apparently I'm in the wrong to suggest they save money by making coffee at home, at least until they built up the smallest buffer of savings.

No, it's ok for me to deny myself the luxury of delivery food, prepackaged meals, and drive through coffee, my life is "easy." And I'm a jerk for not providing financial life suppprt to my family so that they can still indulge.

How did we get here? How are we at a point where we forbid the criticism of bad behavior and shame those that live modestly?

I just don't get it.

That $2,000 over a year could give them income smoothing, and reduce their stress more than any caffeinated milkshake (have you seen the calorie count on a frap?). By buying less stuff on paydays they could significantly and thus have less clutter in their house they could reduce their cortisol levels long term, not just on the back of a consumer purchase high.

But I'm the jerk for knowing that I make enough to be considered rich by most not on CD, but not enough to have things and pay for my kids college. I'm a jerk for not working for free a few days a month to support someone else's indulgences that I couldn't imagine, meanwhile they put in half the hours I do.

My family sacrifices to build our savings, why am I the bad guy for not wanting to give it away to support bad behavior?

Unless you count the use of sidewalks, and having professors with open door policies, nothing was given to me as an adult, it was all earned.

Bootstraps and delayed gratification aren't bad words.

??? ??? ??? ??? millions of poor Americans don't smoke (or use illicit drugs), and I have never heard of a poor person going to Starbucks, although I'm sure there must be some. (McDonald's yes, Starbucks no.)

Income smoothing is definitely on my short list of pet peeves regarding poverty. The people spending half their income on rent are probably the least likely to spend wastefully because their paucity of discretionary income precludes it.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Just a thought, why don't you sell whatever camera you have been using and use the proceeds to buy your smartphone? Really no need to over analyze this, just do it.

We have a very nice camera for work, but if I'm in a rush, my iPhone is much faster and the photos are great.

I do not own the camera i have been using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance