Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 47,475 times

Advertisements

I used a tax calculator here: Arizona Hourly Paycheck Calculator | Hourly Calculator | Paycheck City

I am married, have one child, head of household, etc etc and am able to claim 7 on my w-4 legitimately. My taxable yearly income is under 50k a year. That calculator says it will not take any federal taxes from my paycheck, which is why i am wondering if I will have to pay it back later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshii View Post
I used a tax calculator here: Arizona Hourly Paycheck Calculator | Hourly Calculator | Paycheck City

I am married, have one child, head of household, etc etc and am able to claim 7 on my w-4 legitimately. My taxable yearly income is under 50k a year. That calculator says it will not take any federal taxes from
my paycheck, which is why i am wondering if I will have to pay it back later.
The calculator may be only a guesstimate. Look at your federal and state tax returns from 2011. Chances are the tax liability for 2012 will be more or less the same. If you owe taxes for 2012, yes, you will have to pay what you owe when you file your return.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 21,826 times
Great question! Wish I could help you, but I think you know more about this stuff than I do. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but as a single person living alone with no dependents, am I supposed to claim "1" for myself on my W-4 form? I ask because this is what I've always done and always end up owing some money. I don't wanna cheat the system, but is there another way to do it?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,007,375 times
W-4 is a guideline to help you ballpark your taxes so you don't owe or get a big refund. IT's not official or a declaration in any way.

If you owe money all the time, it would be perfectly legit to raise your exemptions to 2 so you aren't liable for interest and penalties.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 PM

802 posts, read 2,268,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
W-4 is a guideline to help you ballpark your taxes so you don't owe or get a big refund. IT's not official or a declaration in any way.

If you owe money all the time, it would be perfectly legit to raise your exemptions to 2 so you aren't liable for interest and penalties.
Actually, if you owe money, you should lower your allowances (not exemptions - people use the wrong term all the time, and these terms are different) and/or specify an additional withholding amount in order to have more tax withheld.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 919 times
I claimed 10 November and December due to lots of over time at work and didn't change it back to 3 in time and now it shows 10 on my w2 how bad is it gonna be for me

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM

5,910 posts, read 4,461,916 times
Quote:

I put down 20 each for Federal and State. (married with four kids, one
income, big mortgage, big property taxes) My goal is to owe as much money as
possible on April 15th without paying a penalty.
If you owe more than $1,000 you will need to make estimated payments or you will get penalties.

Putting 20 exemptions down seems like a god awful idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance