Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,330,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Is it possible to have actual minimum wage instead of "server" minimum wage? Whatever tip is there can go as extra but restaurant should pay the Server -minimum wage like 8 dollars per hour tip or no tip. Why do they take out tip credit from minimum wage???
Ideally, it motivates the server to go above and beyond so they will make more money.

Quote:
It is definitely exploitation of customers. What if I dont want to pay 20% tip so that owner of restaurant who earns 10 times more then me can pay his staff less then minimum wage?????
Having the customer pay part of the servers' wages directly allows the restaurant to better control expenses. If they eliminate tip credit and force employers so pay full minimum wage they're still going to make their money; it will just be via higher menu prices as opposed to lower costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I know this is not my thread but I am going slightly off topic anyway: how does it work if the owner of the restauraunt/bar is my server/waiter/bartender?

Do I still tip and the same percentage as if it would be an employee?
Generally, no. It's unlikely that they're paying themselves as servers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,060,324 times
okay, thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,455,119 times
These tipping threads always interest me. The ins and outs, the dos and don't...... I visit Las Vegas regularly, and always tip as is expected. But it sure is a strange system you operate in the USA.

Surely, rather than all this upset tipping causes, especially the poor servers having to share tips, and pay taxes on assumed tips....... if they just got paid a proper rate of pay, and no tips, there would be no problem?

I know people here say "oh, you get better service, more attention during the meal, because of tipping." Well, when I eat out in England, tipping isn't expected. Some people leave a small tip sometimes, but it isn't expected as a must. We still get looked after well. After all, the owner wants you to come back.

I love how, when in Las Vegas, servers watch me like a hawk when it comes to paying the bill. I feel like saying, "don't worry, I know I'm English, but I know the score!!"

It shouldn't have to be this way.........

Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 AM

24,415 posts, read 27,098,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Hello CD'ers,

In economics one is paid for their worth, the harder it is to do a job the lower the population available to do such work and the higher the pay. Burger flippers get minimum wages and Doctors get paid a premium.

It doesn't take a whole lot of training to be a waiter, there's a menu to learn, some hygiene principles, and a typical set of company rules, and certainly it's stressful but so is being a CNA which requires 16 weeks of training and pays right around 13 an hour (and they have serious responsibilities).

Ok on to my point: in some places waiters get min wage, in others they get less, but no matter what they are required by law to make minimum wage in the end.

In a low cost resturant like Chilis, a bill for two can come out to 30 dollars without drinks, dinner takes 30-60 minutes and requires 8 visits to the table (drinks/apps, food order, food delivery, drink refill, check, check pickup, check drop off, completed check pick up). The waiter isn't glued to my table, so I assume they have 2 other tables minimum. If everyone tips 10% and is there 60 minutes that's $9 an hour, take out 20% for bus boys and that puts the hourly at 7.20 plus the 3ish tip min wage for a total of 10.20 an hour for a low census, with low tips and low bills. 10.20 an hour is a decent wage, and it only goes up from there, so why is the tipping amount encouraged to be 20% and rising, that just seems insane.

I'm sure some of you waited tables, and please chime in if I missed something, but please try to keep it based on economics and not personal feelings.
A 10% tip... really?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,556,557 times
Raising the tip from 15% to 20% raises the total cost of the meal + tip by about 4%. For a $40 bill, that's the difference between $46 and $48 in total. Honestly, I find it pretty pathetic that people ***** and moan so much about such a tiny difference. If you can afford to spend $46 on a meal for two, you can afford to throw in an extra couple bucks for the minimum wage employees who serve you during the meal.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,907,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Since its apparently now 20% as the base, kind of a moot point for me because I cant afford that on top of the billl.
That is me. The food is already way overpriced to begin with. I am a decent cook, so there isn't much restaurants serve that I can't make myself for a quarter to a third of the price before we even start tacking on tips and tax. I simply don't enjoy eating out because there is nothing enjoyable about paying way more than I would otherwise for a meal.

tl;dr: I don't eat out unless someone else insists and is paying.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,708,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Raising the tip from 15% to 20% raises the total cost of the meal + tip by about 4%. For a $40 bill, that's the difference between $46 and $48 in total. Honestly, I find it pretty pathetic that people ***** and moan so much about such a tiny difference. If you can afford to spend $46 on a meal for two, you can afford to throw in an extra couple bucks for the minimum wage employees who serve you during the meal.
Customer is paying the bill. it is restaurant owner who is not paying server the minimum wage. In your words, I find it pretty pathetic that people ***** and moan so much about tip and dont look at this fact that Restaurant owners are not paying proper wages to Servers and they have to depend on Tip and harrass customers for 20% tip so as to make up to the minimum wage. Restaurant owner who spend thousands of dollars in opening restaurant can spend few more bucks in giving their staff minimum wage instead of server wage so that staff do not have to beg in front of customers for 20% tip. Shameful!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times
Quote:
Customer is paying the bill. it is restaurant owner who is not paying server the minimum wage. In your words, I find it pretty pathetic that people ***** and moan so much about tip and dont look at this fact that Restaurant owners are not paying proper wages to Servers and they have to depend on Tip and harrass customers for 20% tip so as to make up to the minimum wage. Restaurant owner who spend thousands of dollars in opening restaurant can spend few more bucks in giving their staff minimum wage instead of server wage so that staff do not have to beg in front of customers for 20% tip. Shameful!!!!
They don't have to harass customers. They go home with minimum wage no matter what.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,165,934 times
Quote:
Then they can raise their prices by 40% to cover the higher wages and employer paid taxes, have no one show up because the other places are cheaper, and lay everyone off when they shut the doors a month later. Yup, that works just fantastic.

When people are relying on tips, they are far more motivated to provide exceptional service.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,280,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
These tipping threads always interest me. The ins and outs, the dos and don't...... I visit Las Vegas regularly, and always tip as is expected. But it sure is a strange system you operate in the USA.

Surely, rather than all this upset tipping causes, especially the poor servers having to share tips, and pay taxes on assumed tips....... if they just got paid a proper rate of pay, and no tips, there would be no problem?

I know people here say "oh, you get better service, more attention during the meal, because of tipping." Well, when I eat out in England, tipping isn't expected. Some people leave a small tip sometimes, but it isn't expected as a must. We still get looked after well. After all, the owner wants you to come back.

I love how, when in Las Vegas, servers watch me like a hawk when it comes to paying the bill. I feel like saying, "don't worry, I know I'm English, but I know the score!!"

It shouldn't have to be this way.........
I so totally agree with you! I detest the tipping system of payment.
Originally, tipping was a bribe...To Insure Promptness.
That is understandable, at least.
Based on the way tipping is done now, it's getting to be that everybody that provides any kind of a service but thinks they are underpaid, is trying to guilt the public into tipping......these are minimum wage earners , not those that must accept the absolutely inane sub-standard "server wage".
(Check out how much some porters take home....or valet parkers...that guy that flicks his wrist to call up a cab and opens the door for you)

Of course, high earning tipped workers are the first ones that would object to any changes.......and there are many of those.

'Gratuities" (not TIPS) can always be given in appreciation of extra special service) if one feels like it but should not be mandatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance