Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

357 posts, read 712,561 times

Advertisements

I agree liberal arts degrees aren't going to help you too much. I have a political science degree, am 25, and haven't struggled to find a job but I think I have a lot of other skills I bring to the table. Practice public speaking, a lot. When you're in college make sure you become an expert on the Microsoft suite (PowerPoint, Excel, etc.), there's even an Excel certification through Microsoft that I got from a college course that potential employers seem to notice. Undoubtedly I would have more career opportunities even with a general Business degree though.

Most important, work on your people skills no matter what you do. Even if you're an engineer the ability to have a conversation with anybody will get you further. I waited tables and bartended through college which I personally think really helped me get comfortable speaking with people from any walk of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why do people around here insist on treating a college education as if a college education is nothing more than vocational training.
People wouldn't do that if college weren't a requirement for so many good paying jobs. People are just going with the system that's been set up by employers. Since college is increasingly expensive, the vast majority of people don't have the luxury of going to college for personal enrichment alone.

I'm surprised anyone needs to tell you this.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,002,369 times
Determine profession first, then the right education path, not the opposite. In some fields, grad schools won't look as kindly upon comm college first two years.

Attitude on saving is right; attitude on investing (save and earn interest) is wrong. It's ok because he's only 17 - would be ahead of curve if he got the idea of investing and sharing in corporate profits soon, so long as the idea of the mattress isn't set in stone already.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM

375 posts, read 370,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If the OP wants to get into med school going to ANY Community college is a bad idea.
Why do you think this is true?

I don't believe it is as the MCAT is the great equalizer. It should be stressed that a student should still cultivate relationships to get good recommendations for med school

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,061,494 times
Local adult schools usually have inexpensive, short-term certificates. Look at these for medical field classes to give you a job and a taste of that life. They have other career choices.

Always keep a savings account.

Use contraception with sex every time, no matter how long you're with the person. AIDS or an unplanned pregnancy can really derail plans.

Because life expectancy is extending, your parents could easily live longer than their money, and you may have to support them.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Quote:
If the OP wants to get into med school going to ANY Community college is a bad idea.

Can't open a Roth unless you have earned income and then you can only contribute up to what you earned.
You can indeed get into med school even if you have attended community college. Do the general graduation requirements at community college (and as noted, in some areas community colleges are more respected than in other areas), transfer to a 4-year college, and excel for the final two years. Make sure to do the serious med school pre-reqs at the 4-year college, not at the community college. And as you note, recommendations are key. And FWIW, the majority of incoming transfer students at Stanford this year were coming out of community colleges -- I don't know how many are med-school bound, but apparently they were good enough to land a coveted spot at a highly selective university.

Good point about the Roth, though; I was assuming that the OP has a job. If not, I suggest that he or she find one! (If not during the academic year, at least during the summer.)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiphonic View Post
Why do you think this is true?

I don't believe it is as the MCAT is the great equalizer. It should be stressed that a student should still cultivate relationships to get good recommendations for med school
The first round of med school admissions is 100% computerized and spits out those that score under a 3.5 and low MCAT scores. If you look at the medical school forums they all say the same thing, denial because of UG credits at a CC. It's competitive. Why would you put yourself at an automatic disadvantage to go to a CC? Recommendations only go so in med school admissions. Feel free to look this up on any med school forum. The CC credits will kill chances of getting into med school. At bare minimum all credits needed for med school we need to be retaken at a 4 year school, extending the time you need to go to college and there goes any savings you MIGHT get from a CC. It's a fallacy that going to a CC actually saves money. Unless you take specific courses and transfer to your state school in a specially designed program, that is NOT designed to get you into med school, you will go at least another year in college, and there goes any savings you might have by taking 2 years at a CC. We have looked into this extensively as our daughter wants to become a doctor.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
You can indeed get into med school even if you have attended community college. Do the general graduation requirements at community college (and as noted, in some areas community colleges are more respected than in other areas), transfer to a 4-year college, and excel for the final two years. Make sure to do the serious med school pre-reqs at the 4-year college, not at the community college. And as you note, recommendations are key. And FWIW, the majority of incoming transfer students at Stanford this year were coming out of community colleges -- I don't know how many are med-school bound, but apparently they were good enough to land a coveted spot at a highly selective university.

Good point about the Roth, though; I was assuming that the OP has a job. If not, I suggest that he or she find one! (If not during the academic year, at least during the summer.)
It is HIGHLY unlikely that you will gain admission to med school after 2 years of CC. We have looked into this extensively with our high school senior as that is her plan. Feel free to look this up on any med school forum--you will see denial after denial because of community college classes. I'm sure you have looked into this for your 5 year old

Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,153 times
I want to thank you all for your advice and recommendations! One more question if you do not mind. Is it worth it going to a private college than a state-school? I have done some research and it seems many private colleges have connections with recruiters that are fellow alumni. Will it be easier to find a job after graduation if you have attended a private school? Regardless of rankings, I still believe that networking and developing connections is vital in any college. Any personal experiences from you guys? Much appreciation!

In regards to my grades, I have a 3.7 gpa and a 2080 on the SAT. My guidance couselor said my academic background is well above-average, and I am also a first college-generation (First person from my family to go to college). Don't know if that helps or not.....

Quote:
It is HIGHLY unlikely that you will gain admission to med school after 2 years of CC. We have looked into this extensively with our high school senior as that is her plan. Feel free to look this up on any med school forum--you will see denial after denial because of community college classes. I'm sure you have looked into this for your 5 year old
What state are you a currently a resident of? If you are in California, have you taken a look at he TAG program (Transfer Admission Guarantee)?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM

27,643 posts, read 28,738,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed619 View Post
I just turned 17 and already I am think about my future. First, I do not know what career I should pursue.
My suggestion is to major in an engineering field if you have the aptitude for it. Going to college has to be worth the investment of time and money. And not all undergrad majors are created equal.

Once you start working, make sure to regularly put a percentage of your paycheck into a 401K plan or the equivalent. That's the best financial advice that was ever given to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance