Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM

841 posts, read 2,478,343 times

Advertisements

I've been using TurboTax for the past few years and have been very pleased. This year I was expecting a bigger refund because I paid out a LOT of money in medical bills last year, but I don't see the difference I was expecting this year from last year. I wanted to know - anyone ever use a tax software such as TurboTax - and then used a Tax Prep Business - and noticed a difference in refunds? I hate paying a lot for tax preparation, but if I can get more money back using a tax expert - then I rather pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,391,561 times
I always do it myself. Still, for those that use a professional, isn't the cost deductible?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM

650 posts, read 1,813,927 times
How much was your medical bills? There's a minimum you must reach in order to get the deduction. "A LOT" is really relative. I remember paying $1500 for medical one year and did not reach the minimum. That felt like a lot to me.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM

841 posts, read 2,478,343 times
The total of medical bills I paid was over $13k. I understand I can only deduct anything over the 7.5% rate of annual income - which would give me a medical 'total' of around $7,600 for 2012.

I would really hate to go to an accountant or tax prep company and they get me around the same refund as TurboTax. I guess I am trying to figure out if going to a live professional would help me more.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I always do it myself. Still, for those that use a professional, isn't the cost deductible?
Your tax prep fees, combined with some other miscellaneous stuff you won't take, have to exceed 2% of your AGI before you start deducting them. And then obviously you only deduct the amount that's over the 2%. So unless those specific job expenses and other random things are quite high, you'll never benefit from your tax fees.

See lines 21-27 on the Schedule A.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM

732 posts, read 2,984,819 times
If the medical expenses are the only difference between 2012 and previous years, then spending extra bucks on a CPA or tax preparer likely isn't going to help. Have you itemized your deductions in the past? If not, then even the deductible medical expenses (i.e., after the 7.5% haircut) aren't going to help as much as you think since your standard deduction is already $5950 if you're a single individual.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,397,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
If the medical expenses are the only difference between 2012 and previous years, then spending extra bucks on a CPA or tax preparer likely isn't going to help. Have you itemized your deductions in the past? If not, then even the deductible medical expenses (i.e., after the 7.5% haircut) aren't going to help as much as you think since your standard deduction is already $5950 if you're a single individual.

Exactly. I seriously doubt any REPUTABLE CPA or tax preparer is going to be able to get you a bigger refund than using Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax Deluxe is very powerful and if you plug in every possible detail, it should come out to the same as any reputable CPA.

Unless your taxes are very complex, these days a CPA is some serious "overkill".

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM

402 posts, read 753,544 times
I usually do it myself, but I got money from a lawsuit and I'm not sure how to claim it. Also I usually claim a joint return with my wife but I want to see the numbers if we file separate.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Exactly. I seriously doubt any REPUTABLE CPA or tax preparer is going to be able to get you a bigger refund than using Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax Deluxe is very powerful and if you plug in every possible detail, it should come out to the same as any reputable CPA.

Unless your taxes are very complex, these days a CPA is some serious "overkill".

Turbo Tax Deluxe may be great BUT if the information is NOT entered correctly and the person entering the information does not understand the questions, the return may be correct.

I have checked a number of my friends' returns prepared with tax software and most have an error or two.

I am a CPA who does NOT do taxes except through the IRS's VITA program. My preferred software is Tax Act.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

19,106 posts, read 27,702,597 times
Always had better success with HR Block Taxcut. Used TTax for years too, but like I said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance