Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,387,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Turbo Tax Deluxe may be great BUT if the information is NOT entered correctly and the person entering the information does not understand the questions, the return may be correct.

I have checked a number of my friends' returns prepared with tax software and most have an error or two.

I am a CPA who does NOT do taxes except through the IRS's VITA program. My preferred software is Tax Act.

Oh absolutely it goes without saying that if you enter garbage you will get garbage out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,793 times
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like I am better off continuing to use TurboTax. Bummer...I guess in my fantasy world I was expecting a nice chunk of change back since I paid so much in medical last year.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I have an accountant. There's too much stuff.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Always had better success with HR Block Taxcut. Used TTax for years too, but like I said...
Likewise, I switched from Turbo Tax to HR Block ... and have done my own for years. However, our taxes are pretty straight-forward without a lot of complex transactions or business-related expenses. In the latter case, I would probably go with a CPA or Tax Service.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Personally I love doing my taxes. I like reading up on how to do them. I even found a free online tax class that teaches you to become a tax prepairer. My thoughts are that many people think someone who does taxes must know some hidden secrets that the IRS has placed out there within the 900 + pages of tax code. I have always been able to find what I was looking for online within the IRS web site.

My thougths are that fear is a big reason to have someone else complete your taxes for you. I also think that many people seem to think that professional tax people and tax programs know of some secrets that the IRS has failed to inform lesser people about and without there help they would not have the same success as they do now. LOL

Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Probably no difference with a pro. TurboTax does a good job if you feed it the right data.

In 2012 medical expenses that top 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI) may be deducted... in 2013 I think it will be 10%.

This is a real rip off for many of us as employers and employees get to pay for medical insurance without taxation but for those of us buying our own our the premiums fall under the deduction rule.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Personally I love doing my taxes. I like reading up on how to do them. I even found a free online tax class that teaches you to become a tax prepairer. My thoughts are that many people think someone who does taxes must know some hidden secrets that the IRS has placed out there within the 900 + pages of tax code. I have always been able to find what I was looking for online within the IRS web site.

My thougths are that fear is a big reason to have someone else complete your taxes for you. I also think that many people seem to think that professional tax people and tax programs know of some secrets that the IRS has failed to inform lesser people about and without there help they would not have the same success as they do now. LOL
I totally agree! I hear people say that they used so and so person or such and such company and got back this much...and I always think...wow..maybe somebody out there knows something that TurboTax does not know. Last time I used an accountant, I was not pleased with the amount of refund I was getting back - and my almost $300 bill that went with it.

I've only used TurboTax - and I love it. I am not a very tax-savvy person so I like the step by step options it gives you. I tried working with TaxAct this year, but for some reason, it just kept confusing me. I think it's best for me to stick with TurboTax.

I don't have complex taxes either - married, filing jointly, 2 teens (so no childcare), basic mortgage, no investments, no business, etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Default Turbo Tax

We have been using Turbo Tax for years. I know the kicker here is my wife does it but..... she does it with relative ease and we always get back a good piece of our money.

Deductions are deductions. Turbo Tax asks the questions and gives examples to show. Take as many as you can legally.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
We have been using Turbo Tax for years.
I use TaxAct, it's basically the same type of product at a fraction of the price. Turbo Tax is $50, Taxact is less then $20.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM

857 posts, read 4,880,141 times
I used to do my own taxes with Turbotax, years ago before I started a business. It is great if your taxes are not complicated. At one point I tried doing my own again, just for comparison, even though I had our accountant working on them. In my version I owed the IRS money, but in his version I got $2,500 back because of some deductions I didn't know about. If you had a complicated year just go to an accountant, and if next year is more "normal" then go back to doing it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance