Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

99 posts, read 386,756 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I am posting this question here because I think it is a discussion which has value to many new California & specifically new US residents, if lot of people disagree I'll delete it

Right now I need to start working on my credit score which is currently somewhere around 600, its low because I don't have very many lines of credit, or much of a history & my only existing credit-card is a joint one in my wife names (US citizen with much better credit than me). I pay my bills early & have been lucky enough never to make any late payments or do anything which would damage my existing score.

I have been advised by a financial to get a credit-card in my name, make some purchases & pay the balance off on time and I should see a positive effect on my credit score within about 60 days.

One of the only cards it looks like I can get with my limited history & score is the Capital One Cash Rewards:
Capital One Cash Rewards - Apply Online

Does anyone have any experience with this card or with this company? If so, would you recommend them?

The Chase cards look good, as does the American Express Blue cash, but I don't think I quality for any of these. They all seem to require credit-scores above 700 from what I can figure out - but I am open to correction.

All constructive thoughts / ideas / information / suggestions are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
If you can qualify, I'd go AMEX. Best service, best warranty perks on purchases, etc.

I joined their Centurion program back in 2006, and it's the only card I use now.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Bank of America started a program in 2007 that offered credit cards to illegal immigrants without a social security number, as long as you banked with them. Actually I think the question might be whether your credit history is too good to get one.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
BofA gives credit cards to everyone. My son's fiance had a credit score of 530 after grad school. She got a BofA card to use to build her credit.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM

37 posts, read 64,760 times
Definitely go into where you have a checking account first, chances are you are probably pre-approved for something. If that doesn't work I would go for the Capital One you posted, it may be a low credit limit but it will be better than nothing. Just a tip, make sure anything new you get is an actual card in your name. You do not want to be just an authorized user on your wife's cards because I don't believe that impacts your credit as much as your own tradeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance