Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times

Advertisements

I want people's opinions on this. If I had savings, (6 months of living expenses) emergency fund already taken care of and contributing what I think was a right amount to retirement what would you do next?

I do want to clarify things. We don't need 15 mil for retirement. We live a frugal lifestyle now I doubt we will be big spenders anytime soon. A couple of mill is all we will need and if we had less we would just deal with it.

I could care less about my or our networth. It doesn't matter if I have more than my neighbor or have the lowest in the city. There is more too life than a number that everyone gloats about. 10 million might be cool, but if your spending 500k a year it won't last long. While someone else can have 4 mil, but spends only 50k a year. I don't care at all. I don't need to be in Forbes top 100 list of riches people on earth.

Life is too short to be saving for everything under the sun for 50 years. So after you have these things taken care of would it be wise to spend the rest how you want? Vacation....new car....doesn't matter. You have the basics covered. Might as well live a little and experience what the world has to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I want people's opinions on this. If I had savings, (6 months of living expenses) emergency fund already taken care of and contributing what I think was a right amount to retirement what would you do next?

I do want to clarify things. We don't need 15 mil for retirement. We live a frugal lifestyle now I doubt we will be big spenders anytime soon. A couple of mill is all we will need and if we had less we would just deal with it.

I could care less about my or our networth. It doesn't matter if I have more than my neighbor or have the lowest in the city. There is more too life than a number that everyone gloats about. 10 million might be cool, but if your spending 500k a year it won't last long. While someone else can have 4 mil, but spends only 50k a year. I don't care at all. I don't need to be in Forbes top 100 list of riches people on earth.

Life is too short to be saving for everything under the sun for 50 years. So after you have these things taken care of would it be wise to spend the rest how you want? Vacation....new car....doesn't matter. You have the basics covered. Might as well live a little and experience what the world has to offer?
so is this a question or a values statement?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
so is this a question or a values statement?
Question.

What do you do after saving for these things?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:06 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
Quote:
Question.

spend it. That is when it gets personal. What do you value in life? You already said you don't care about appearing wealthy, so...do you enjoy nice vacations? Visiting family that is far away? Giving? Spoiling kids/grandkids?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

795 posts, read 1,392,174 times
Buy stocks in a taxable brokerage account.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Question.

Whatever you want.

But personally, I would have (and DO have) 12 months in the EF.

How nice that you have "A couple of mill " tucked away already! Congrats!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Question.

well, if you feel you are saving all that you will want to save; then your only choice is to spend it. so spend it on drugs, hookers, kitchen remodel, vacations, whatever makes you happy.

for me, i would like to set up my future generations to be able to live in comfort regardless of their profession or lack thereof. so thats also a part of my planning. so lets say im saving as much as i need for myself; ill work towards putting away the maximum tax free gift money i can to my children. that would be the next step.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Packer -- we live a frugal lifestyle and have a good income -- much higher than our needs. We save it. We are still saving for retirement, but we also have investigated some charities and spread our good luck around.

I get what you're saying -- my husband says all the time of "stars" making astronomical amounts of money how much is enough?

But there might come a time when you start feeling like you spend money to spend it.... and then you think, that's ridiculous. I don't spend a ton on anything anymore, and buy exactly what I want, when I want it -- and not have to wait for a sale. That's a nice feeling.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
money is like water ,it will always seek its own level. if you have the dough the expenses will eventually find it.

we got whacked for 27k in dental work which was not on the radar.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:

Not sure what you are fishing for, but I'd work on paying the house off.
After my house was paid for, I'd start investing some of the extra money, and then perhaps spending on 'wants' like a new car, or a big vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance