Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM

404 posts, read 908,193 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've been toying around with this idea for a few days and I wanted to see what you guys think. I am 20 years old, about to turn 21 in a month. I am home from school for the summer and have secured two jobs that pay pretty well for around here. I am interested in buying a cheap sailboat ($2000-5000). I have about $1200 saved away and now have no financial obligations whatsoever. (no rent, bills, etc...). I grew up sailing and and want to get back into it. Rather than buying a cheap sunfish or something, I was hoping to get something a little bit bigger and nicer while building my credit at the same time. I was thinking of doing a short term loan of 6 or 12 months, but trying to pay the loan back faster than length of the loan. (i.e. 12 month loan in 6-8 months, or 6 month loan in 4-5 months) Does this sound like a good idea?

Before you guys ask, I plan to trailer the boat, so there will be no slip or mooring fees to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,904,373 times
it sounds to me like you want to spend any money you are making in your jobs on a boat. if thats what you really want to do, then go for it. but it seems like a big expense and a bad start to your financial life.

also, id cross off the concept of taking on debt in order to build credit. for that purpose, just get a credit card and make sure to pay off the balance every month. there is no need to pay extra to build your credit score.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 05-15-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM

4,488 posts, read 8,194,722 times
Agreed with the Captain. Sounds like you're just trying to justify the purchase of a sail boat. How long would it take you to save the rest of the money so you can pay it in cash? I'd go that route versus incurring debt, but I'm adverse to most types of debt.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Agreed with the Captain. Sounds like you're just trying to justify the purchase of a sail boat. How long would it take you to save the rest of the money so you can pay it in cash? I'd go that route versus incurring debt, but I'm adverse to most types of debt.
Well I am just wondering if I can possibly build my credit while buying a nicer boat. If you don't think it's a good way to build credit, then perhaps I will just buy a cheaper boat. It would take me a majority of the summer to save enough money to pay for a nicer boat in cash, though that kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying a boat in the first place...since the whole point is to actually sail it this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is no need to pay extra to build your credit score.
I thought that it helped a lot though, rather than paying minimum payments where you also incur more interest.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
I thought that it helped a lot though, rather than paying minimum payments where you also incur more interest.
i dont know how much it helps, but you should be fine as long as you pay your bills on time. i doubt the difference will be a factor when its time for you to buy a home or car. you probably wont be doing that for a while.

also, i said to pay the balance off every month. under no circumstances should you be paying credit card interest.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,979,993 times
Well between this post and the one I just posted on another thread I guess I'm going to sound like a huge mean parent....

If you are 20, going to school and home for the summer and can buy a boat..... do you really have no other financial obligations? Cell phone bill, car insurance, etc.? If your parents are paying for everything, then maybe it's time to pay your share. What do they think of you getting a boat and spending all your money on that?

People wonder why kids today don't understand money.... I guess it's because parents are paying for everything and when kids do have a job they are allowed to just pocket it all and not pay their way. I just don't get that and I guess, like I said, I'm the mean parent.

Since our son got his first job at 14 he learned that there are things that then have to be paid for. Cell phone, later on his car insurance, registration, gas, any fun he wanted to do.

Guess I sound like a grump.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM

102 posts, read 212,502 times
Based on the information you provided, please don't buy the sail boat until you have the cash. Save up this summer, sail next summer (assuming you still don't have other financial obligations).

Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM

My parents do pay for school and cell phone, but while at school I was paying for my rent, food, gas, and other living expenses. Now that I am at home, I only have food, gas, and misc expenses to pay for.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,979,993 times
So wait - this adds to the picture of advice. So you DO have financial obligations (up top you said you had none whatsoever). And you do have obligations during the school year.

In no way, in my opinion, should you dip into your savings. Well, personally I think taking out a loan for a boat at this point is also not a good move.

If you want to get back into sailing, what about renting a boat when you want to for the summer, save money, then maybe do something next summer? Just a thought.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM

if your parents dont want you to help them out more, thats up to them. you are young and have few years left to be wasteful. i just want you to be completely understand what you are doing and not make decisions based on incorrect logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance