Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

I bought a Vanilla Visa debit card last Wednesday from CVS and loaded fifty bucks on it. The directions on the card told me that I need to register it online. I went online to register it, and filled out the info according to the card. Then it told me that something went wrong with the registration, and I need to try again. I tried to register again and this time it told me that the 16 digit code is not correct. It tried again, same ****. Then the fourth time, meet the new boss same as the old boss. Yes I'm entering the info correctly. Then I decided to call the number on the back of the card, and it sent me to some electronic voicemail ****. It asked for the 16 digit number on the front of the card, and once again it tells me it's not an existing card!

I got mad suspicious so I went online and voilaVanilla Visa is a Scam, http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vanill...Intern-1040357, 52 Complaints and Reviews about Vanilla Visa Gift Card

Is there anything I can do? I still have the receipt, but CVS has a policy of not taking back "activated" cards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
what did you use to purchase it? If cash -- you'll have to deal with CVS and complain that it can't be activated (I'm betting the cashier forgot to do something to put the card into the system for you to activate -- a fail safe so people can't just steal cards) -- but if you used a bank debit card or a credit card you can go to them and complain -- you might get some satisfaction.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,468,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I bought a Vanilla Visa debit card last Wednesday from CVS and loaded fifty bucks on it. The directions on the card told me that I need to register it online.
Did you make any purchases with it? did that work?

Online registration is only for viewing account activity. The card is and will and must be activated at the cash register so check with CVS.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Did you make any purchases with it? did that work?

Online registration is only for viewing account activity. The card is and will and must be activated at the cash register so check with CVS.
I tried to make a purchase and it declined

I spoke to the manager and he practically said sorry, but once the card is activated at the register, there's nothing we can do. ****ers scammed me

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
If CVS sold it to you contact the CVS directly has that sounds more like a manger who has no idea what he is talking about. They make money from the sale so yes they are responsible as seller.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
The big thing is -- did you learn your lesson? Go to a bank and get a bank debit card tied to your account.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
i just went through hell with a moneypak card today .

i needed to fund my paypal account so first i did a bill pay from my bank. monday will be four days and it has not shown up.

so i figured i will have the bank trace it if it does not show monday and in the mean time i will buy an instant moneypak card and send out the now delayed payment for something i bought.

we ran to cvc and bought one.

i went into paypal, clicked add funds and clicked add moneypak funds.

well filled in all the info and it froze at validating address.

im cursing and trying over and over.

i tried calling moneypak . it prompts you to enter your card number.

i put the number in and each time it tells me it can't recognize the number.

it hangs up each time. there is no way to get a human without a working number.

i managed to get through at paypal and after a few reps they put me through to india.

we ended up downloading google chrome and going in the reverse way , we went to moneypak which inked me to paypal.

that worked , finally it took the funds.

phew! i need a drink!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The big thing is -- did you learn your lesson? Go to a bank and get a bank debit card tied to your account.
Usually when ppl use these cards it means they can't get a bank account due to their banking history or credit history.

The OP needs to take the card back to CVS and have them activate the card. I had this happen once with a gift card I bought for a friend..she was able to take the card (and the receipt) to the store and get it all figured out.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
not true at all. cards like moneypak are the only way you can instantly buy something with paypal.

everything else requires days to clear pay pal.

what i think needs better regulation is the fact you can not call a live rep without having a working card number so you can see what is going on and why your card is not recognized..

i was so damn frustrated as the card number was fine , it was activated but moneypak would hang up because it insisted it could recognize the card number.

it is totally unacceptable to leave a customer out in no mansland with no chance of calling anyone.

i hope the ceo of moneypak can read my thread because i just want to say in my opinion " your company sucks!

out of frustration i tried calling paypal expecting to be bumped back to moneypak anyway.

thankfully the people at paypal worked hard and long to solve the technical issues of the address validation freezing on me and all worked out okay. but zero thanks to moneypak for their wonderful customer service system and providing even a means to contact them..

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-23-2013 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Usually when ppl use these cards it means they can't get a bank account due to their banking history or credit history.

Or because they don't want to use their real debit card or credit cards online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance