Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,746,659 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing I need a professional to tell me yes or no... because I am unclear on this issue, but we are a same sex couple, legally married in 2011 in Iowa. We did not and do not live in Iowa though. We reside in Texas and have resided here for the entire time we've been together.

I am trying to understand if we should amend our federal tax returns for 2011 and 2012. Seems like the DOMA decision makes this a "yes" but on the other hand we are not sure.

I just ran the numbers and we'd have ended up with an extra $900 (total for both) in those two years in the form of a higher refund if we'd filed married/joint. $900 is nothing to sneeze at for us. We wouldn't need someone to actually do the amended returns, just a definitive answer to the question... but no idea what it would cost for just a consultation (CPA? or tax lawyer??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I'm guessing I need a professional to tell me yes or no... because I am unclear on this issue, but we are a same sex couple, legally married in 2011 in Iowa. We did not and do not live in Iowa though. We reside in Texas and have resided here for the entire time we've been together.

I am trying to understand if we should amend our federal tax returns for 2011 and 2012. Seems like the DOMA decision makes this a "yes" but on the other hand we are not sure.

I just ran the numbers and we'd have ended up with an extra $900 (total for both) in those two years in the form of a higher refund if we'd filed married/joint. $900 is nothing to sneeze at for us. We wouldn't need someone to actually do the amended returns, just a definitive answer to the question... but no idea what it would cost for just a consultation (CPA? or tax lawyer??)
A less expensive way to get your answer would be to call the IRS.

IMHO, the answer is going to be "no". I did not see anything written anywhere that makes the repeal of DOMA retroactive.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
A less expensive way to get your answer would be to call the IRS.

IMHO, the answer is going to be "no". I did not see anything written anywhere that makes the repeal of DOMA retroactive.
Thanks.

There were a bunch of articles talking about this right after the DOMA repeal, which is where I got the idea.

Supreme Court Recognizes Same-Sex Marriage, Now Amend Your Return For Tax Refunds - Forbes

Same-sex couples see big tax benefits from historic ruling | Reuters

The unclear part (to me) had to do with the fact that we live in Texas.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...marriages.html

Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
no. Your problem is Texas....not the US. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Thanks.

There were a bunch of articles talking about this right after the DOMA repeal, which is where I got the idea.

Supreme Court Recognizes Same-Sex Marriage, Now Amend Your Return For Tax Refunds - Forbes

Same-sex couples see big tax benefits from historic ruling | Reuters

The unclear part (to me) had to do with the fact that we live in Texas.

IRS Already Under Siege Must Make Rules for Gay Marriages - Bloomberg

In re-reading your posts, I encourage you to call the IRS.
Texas has no income tax, so you might actually be able to file amended returns. Different rules would apply to States that do/did not recognize same sex marriage and have income tax requirements.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
no. Your problem is Texas....not the US. Good luck.
Oh you have no idea. Understatement of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
In re-reading your posts, I encourage you to call the IRS.
Texas has no income tax, so you might actually be able to file amended returns. Different rules would apply to States that do/did not recognize same sex marriage and have income tax requirements.
That's what I was thinking. I will call them, thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

115 posts, read 158,360 times
I'm surprised you decided to live in Texas as a same sex couple. Austin, TX? I suppose there are several big cities there with great job markets and reasonable CoL, so it's not like you can just uproot a family when you find bigotry in your state.

I'd agree with calling the IRS, and please post whatever you find out. I'd have a hard time with an answer of "Well, sure your legally married and the law was thrown out for conflicting with our constitution, but we are going to enforce rules based on that law that conflicted with the constitution and treat it as if it temporarily superseded the constitution."
However, it is the IRS, so who knows what they will do?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,608 times
I would think yes. I also read the articles after DOMA was repealed, the fact that you live in TX shouldn't matter for a federal tax return. The fact is that you were married in 2011 and 2012 and should have been able to file married filing jointly, but couldn't because of DOMA. Why don't you just amend the returns and either get a check from the IRS or not.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,375,027 times
Exactly. The Supreme Court tossed DOMA in US v Windsor at the end of June. It did NOT include language specifying that the ruling would apply from the point of the decision forward. The IRS could still decide to interpret the ruling that way. At the moment, they don't know what they are going to do. This is from their website...

NOTE: The questions and answers below do not reflect the Supreme Court's June 26 decision relating to DOMA. We are reviewing the important June 26 Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act. We will be working with the Department of Treasury and Department of Justice, and we will move swiftly to provide revised guidance in the near future.

In the meantime, it is not at all hard to prepare and mail a Form 1040-X. Which is exactly what I would do.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM

732 posts, read 2,982,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Exactly. The Supreme Court tossed DOMA in US v Windsor at the end of June. It did NOT include language specifying that the ruling would apply from the point of the decision forward. The IRS could still decide to interpret the ruling that way. At the moment, they don't know what they are going to do. This is from their website...

NOTE: The questions and answers below do not reflect the Supreme Court's June 26 decision relating to DOMA. We are reviewing the important June 26 Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act. We will be working with the Department of Treasury and Department of Justice, and we will move swiftly to provide revised guidance in the near future.

In the meantime, it is not at all hard to prepare and mail a Form 1040-X. Which is exactly what I would do.
This. File a 1040-X as a protective measure so that none of the statutes on your open tax years are blown. File one for each open year (you generally have until 3 years after you file).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance