Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times

Advertisements

A month ago I ordered my very first US pass port from USPS. I just became a citizen in April. I paid $110.00 to The department of state, and $25.00 to USPS (the $25.00 is the processing fee ).

2 weeks later I ordered a new pass port for my son who's passport expired last year. Well, his pass port fees cleared within a week, both of them. My $110.00 to the d.o.s, cleared but never the $25.00 processing fee to USPS.

I paid with checks since they only accept checks or money orders and not credit/debit ). I went to the same post office.

I am going to call them tomorrow and find out why it is taking so long. The fact that I received my passport today, before all the fees cleared is kind of odd.

This also made me remember something that happened 5 years ago. I wrote 2 checks to a company and those checks never cleared either. I never gave them a call because I figured it's their responsibility to cash the checks I gave them. They never did. I still today have the same bank and account number but nothing.

So, I'm curious, how common is this?

By the way, why are places such as USPS or other government agency's still using checks anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Don't waste your time calling.
Give them 7 months to cash it. If they don't then you can forget about it.

FYI - The city of Detroit put a $1M check in a drawer and did not cash it. The $1M Check That Sat in a Drawer: How Detroit Went Bust - Bloomberg

By the way, I loved your typo for the subject. I do that all the time with account. Acoċunt. It took me a few seconds to figure why it was ****.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
I don't know if it's happened to me. I don't check my statement.

CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING A CITIZEN!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Don't waste your time calling.
Give them 7 months to cash it. If they don't then you can forget about it.

FYI - The city of Detroit put a $1M check in a drawer and did not cash it. The $1M Check That Sat in a Drawer: How Detroit Went Bust - Bloomberg

By the way, I loved your typo for the subject. I do that all the time with account. Acoċunt. It took me a few seconds to figure why it was ****.
I used my lovely phone that loves to fix what I write.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 PM

I walked into the post office instead and talked to them. One lady remembered a check found on floor for 25 dollars and believed it was thrown away. That was a couple of weeks ago now. Oh well.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
This is why I would've opt to get a Money Order.....I hate having checks float out there for that long, especially when I do everything electronic and loath having to keep a Check Register. My Rent which I pay via my banks Bill Pay is deducted from my Checking account on the date my Landlord is scheduled to receive the Check. This way the funds are accounted for and my LL can take his sweet time depositing the check, its of no consequence to me.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I walked into the post office instead and talked to them. One lady remembered a check found on floor for 25 dollars and believed it was thrown away. That was a couple of weeks ago now. Oh well.
I'm gobsmacked that no effort was made to find the owner of the check. (My checks have my name and address on them) Especially in view of the fact that it had to be made out to the entity expediting the issuance of a passport!

Call your bank. Ask how old a check must be when they will no longer honor it. (Some banks say six months, some a year.)Then keep your register open for that length of time. If not cashed by then, add it back. If you get a call asking for payment of the fee, explain the situation, and if you must, write a new check.

Congratulations on your citizenship.

As to why government agencies are still using checks (and money orders), perhaps because there are still people who don't have internet, credit/debit cards, or even bank accounts.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Get used to it. This isn't Sweden. Our government is dysfunctional.

Can't wait till Obamacare.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm gobsmacked that no effort was made to find the owner of the check. (My checks have my name and address on them) Especially in view of the fact that it had to be made out to the entity expediting the issuance of a passport!

Call your bank. Ask how old a check must be when they will no longer honor it. (Some banks say six months, some a year.)Then keep your register open for that length of time. If not cashed by then, add it back. If you get a call asking for payment of the fee, explain the situation, and if you must, write a new check.

Congratulations on your citizenship.

As to why government agencies are still using checks (and money orders), perhaps because there are still people who don't have internet, credit/debit cards, or even bank accounts.
My check had name and address too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
A month ago I ordered my very first US pass port from USPS. I just became a citizen in April. I paid $110.00 to The department of state, and $25.00 to USPS (the $25.00 is the processing fee ).

2 weeks later I ordered a new pass port for my son who's passport expired last year. Well, his pass port fees cleared within a week, both of them. My $110.00 to the d.o.s, cleared but never the $25.00 processing fee to USPS.

I paid with checks since they only accept checks or money orders and not credit/debit ). I went to the same post office.

I am going to call them tomorrow and find out why it is taking so long. The fact that I received my passport today, before all the fees cleared is kind of odd.

This also made me remember something that happened 5 years ago. I wrote 2 checks to a company and those checks never cleared either. I never gave them a call because I figured it's their responsibility to cash the checks I gave them. They never did. I still today have the same bank and account number but nothing.

So, I'm curious, how common is this?

By the way, why are places such as USPS or other government agency's still using checks anyways.
I don't even use USPS anymore. I have to sent time-sensitive wet signature stuff fairly frequently and liked using USPS because it was a bit cheaper than UPS or FedEx. Their flat-rate packaging is good (prevents wrinkling were as your standard 9x12 envelope won't). The problem is about 10% of the stuff they just drop the ball on, so now I just pay the extra $2-3 and ship UPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance