Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 PM

22,029 posts, read 25,388,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And your examples have been refuted time and time again...the issue in YOUR partner's case was that your combined household income is over $100,000...she is living with you, she might make that but your FAMILY income is over $100,000....and now she is paying $6/month for her plan because she went to part-time hours...???

dlizah--as a contractor, your husband is self-employed. Your NET cost on those premiums are no where near what you are claiming. He can deduct those on your taxes, unlike W-2 employees....you get your subsidy, just in a different way....
Their combined household income is irrelevant because roommates do not have combined household income for tax/obamacare welfare purposes. It's no different than if I was going to rent a room with a bunch of other guys/gals. We don't suddenly become one household of tax purposes just because we live under one roof.

Obamacare basically sucks for young healthy people. I paid $115/mo for my old insurance which had a $4,500 deductible. Plus add in a $200 annual checkup which I'm spotty about getting. Obamacare the bronze plans start at $190/month and a free preventive care visit. Silver is $260/month. Now, if you qualify for the welfare that's great. It'd be great if I could have kept the old insurance I liked. But Obama lied and I can't. Not a huge surprise given his track record and the fact that politicians generally will tell people whatever they want to hear. But there you have it. I'm now paying twice as much for better insurance. It's not all bad. For people with pre-existing conditions, it's pretty awesome. Some of that I agree with, others not so much.

If you chose to smoke, eat yourself to death, and never get excercise I'm not real hot on subsidizing your insurance. On the other hand if you were born with some medical condition that you can't really do anything about just by simply making healthy lifestyle choices, I think society as a whole should be doing something to help those people out. Problem is there is a whole lot of unhealthy people that are unhealthy because they want to be. Over a quarter of the adult population chooses to be obese. Many more smoke or drink excessively or refuse to exercise. People who decide to put themselves at either high risk or outright certainty of developing many of the preexisting conditions associated mostly with lifestyle don't deserve to be subsidized. That was their lifestyle choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,493,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Exactly what premiums are these? The ones I pay for my own health insurance through my job? Like everyone else and that have nothing to do with her?
You pay your premiums after tax, thus a tax break....

Quote:
And leave this whole household stuff out of it. The state of Florida considers us roommates and so for the purpose of health insurance that's what we are. Her income has no bearing on mine and mine has no bearing on hers. When they let us get married and I can add her to my insurance at work, then it'll be a different story. Right now we just play the hand we're dealt.
for $30,000 income for a 32 year old in the zip code you provided...the same numbers I got with the Miami zip code I used earlier.... and you are not roommates and you know it. You are domestic partners, even if they don't recognize that for marriage, you are still supporting her.

results
The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.

Household income in 2014:193% of poverty levelMaximum % of income you have to pay for the premium, if eligible for a subsidy:6% Health Insurance premium in 2014 (for a silver plan, before tax credit):$3,052 per year You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$1,253 per year
(which covers 41% of the overall premium) Amount you pay for the premium:$1,799 per year
(which equals 6% of your household income and covers 59% of the overall premium)

Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Their combined household income is irrelevant because roommates do not have combined household income for tax/obamacare welfare purposes. It's no different than if I was going to rent a room with a bunch of other guys/gals. We don't suddenly become one household of tax purposes just because we live under one roof.

Obamacare basically sucks for young healthy people. I paid $115/mo for my old insurance which had a $4,500 deductible. Plus add in a $200 annual checkup which I'm spotty about getting. Obamacare the bronze plans start at $190/month and a free preventive care visit. Silver is $260/month. Now, if you qualify for the welfare that's great. It'd be great if I could have kept the old insurance I liked. But Obama lied and I can't. Not a huge surprise given his track record and the fact that politicians generally will tell people whatever they want to hear. But there you have it. I'm now paying twice as much for better insurance. It's not all bad. For people with pre-existing conditions, it's pretty awesome. Some of that I agree with, others not so much.

If you chose to smoke, eat yourself to death, and never get excercise I'm not real hot on subsidizing your insurance. On the other hand if you were born with some medical condition that you can't really do anything about just by simply making healthy lifestyle choices, I think society as a whole should be doing something to help those people out. Problem is there is a whole lot of unhealthy people that are unhealthy because they want to be. Over a quarter of the adult population chooses to be obese. Many more smoke or drink excessively or refuse to exercise. People who decide to put themselves at either high risk or outright certainty of developing many of the preexisting conditions associated mostly with lifestyle don't deserve to be subsidized. That was their lifestyle choice.
They are domestic partners, not roommmates....there is a difference....

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,492,536 times
Quote:
They are domestic partners, not roommmates....there is a difference....
Why are you so hung up on this. Tell this to the state of Florida. To the state we are nothing more than roommates on paper. Answer me this question, why in the world would we opt to pay full price for her health premium when she can get a hefty subsidy, while at the same time, we have gotten zero benefits that are awarded to married couples for the last 4 years I've been supporting her? That's a double whammy. It can't be both ways, for taxes we are considered single so we pay those rates, yet for Obamacare we have to combine income, no way.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You pay your premiums after tax, thus a tax break....

for $30,000 income for a 32 year old in the zip code you provided...the same numbers I got with the Miami zip code I used earlier.... and you are not roommates and you know it. You are domestic partners, even if they don't recognize that for marriage, you are still supporting her.

results
The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage. Note that subsidies are only available for people purchasing coverage on their own in the exchange (not through an employer). Depending on your state's eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may qualify for Medicaid.

Household income in 2014:193% of poverty levelMaximum % of income you have to pay for the premium, if eligible for a subsidy:6% Health Insurance premium in 2014 (for a silver plan, before tax credit):$3,052 per year You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$1,253 per year
(which covers 41% of the overall premium) Amount you pay for the premium:$1,799 per year
(which equals 6% of your household income and covers 59% of the overall premium)
I don't know where you get your numbers. Lets take it like it is. The link shows the poverty levels for 2013-2014. Doing the math, $30K puts you at 261%, so I don't know where your 193% comes from. Zip code doesn't matter, it's a national poverty level for the 48 contiguous states.

Federal Poverty Level 2013 - 2014

So the calculation I presented earlier is correct.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. At an income of $35K she is phased out of subsidies in our zip code and I don't know what else to tell you. However, at $15K, she gets almost the entire premium covered. I didn't make up the system.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Why are you so hung up on this. Tell this to the state of Florida. To the state we are nothing more than roommates on paper. Answer me this question, why in the world would we opt to pay full price for her health premium when she can get a hefty subsidy, while at the same time, we have gotten zero benefits that are awarded to married couples for the last 4 years I've been supporting her? That's a double whammy. It can't be both ways, for taxes we are considered single so we pay those rates, yet for Obamacare we have to combine income, no way.
What "benefits" do you get from being married? The fact you are supporting her clearly shows she shouldn't qualify for the free health insurance she is getting (well the $6/month premiums)

Quote:
I don't know where you get your numbers. Lets take it like it is. The link shows the poverty levels for 2013-2014. Doing the math, $30K puts you at 261%, so I don't know where your 193% comes from.

Federal Poverty Level 2013 - 2014

So the calculation I presented earlier is correct.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. At an income of $35K she is phased out of subsidies in our zip code and I don't know what else to tell you. However, at $15K, she gets almost the entire premium covered. I didn't make up the system.
I got my numbers from the Kaiser foundation subsidy calculator....which calculates that MAGI, which is the actual number used for the premium subsidy. I copied and pasted it right from the website. Also, your partner dropped her hours so she is only making $15,000/year now so it's really irrelevant now...even though your household shouldn't qualify for subsidies at all. "Roommates' don't have children together. You are domestic partners and you are taking advantage of the system, thus you forfeit your right to complain.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
What "benefits" do you get from being married? The fact you are supporting her clearly shows she shouldn't qualify for the free health insurance she is getting (well the $6/month premiums)

I got my numbers from the Kaiser foundation subsidy calculator....which calculates that MAGI, which is the actual number used for the premium subsidy. I copied and pasted it right from the website. Also, your partner dropped her hours so she is only making $15,000/year now so it's really irrelevant now...even though your household shouldn't qualify for subsidies at all. "Roommates' don't have children together. You are domestic partners and you are taking advantage of the system, thus you forfeit your right to complain.
Well one benefit from us being legally married is that I can add her to my work insurance. So instead of her being uninsured for the last 4 years or getting some crappy catastrophic policy, she could have had insurance subsidized by my employer. Since I was working for the City at that time, the amount my employer paid towards our premiums and spousal premiums was pretty hefty. We also could have filed out taxes together, which would have brought me down a tax bracket, this would have saved about $2500/year in taxes in 2010-2012.

I don't think we are taking advantage of the system. The extra $2500 I paid in taxes in 2010-2012 because we filed separately, we are technically getting back in her premium subsidy now. Tell me you wouldn't do it? Tell me you would shell out $300/mos for a policy while qualifying for a subsidy that would cover most of that premium? Tell me that. There is a difference between shouldn't qualify and do qualify. She qualifies, we are using the benefit.

And you know what, I do have the right to complain. I pay taxes and have paid taxes since I started working at age 16. I have the right to complain about how my tax dollars are spent. Yes, this year we are getting a benefit from the system, next year when my employer decides to drop coverage because it's too expensive, things will be different. Even if I'm sitting pretty, there are still many people being affected negatively and will have high deductibles to pay for medical services. I'm not the "I got mine, I don't care what happens to you" type of person.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:

And also, there are plenty of "roommates" having children together, I see them every time I go to my local Walmart.

Let's be honest, many of Obama's policies discourage marriage and discourage working more hours. There is no getting around that. Trust me, she didn't quit her job to go on welfare. She will get a job that pays her a living wage, treats her with some decency and respect and hopefully offers some sort of health insurance benefit. We're middle class, they'll get it from us one way or another.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well one benefit from us being legally married is that I can add her to my work insurance. So instead of her being uninsured for the last 4 years or getting some crappy catastrophic policy, she could have had insurance subsidized by my employer. Since I was working for the City at that time, the amount my employer paid towards our premiums and spousal premiums was pretty hefty. We also could have filed out taxes together, which would have brought me down a tax bracket, this would have saved about $2500/year in taxes in 2010-2012.

I don't think we are taking advantage of the system. The extra $2500 I paid in taxes in 2010-2012 because we filed separately, we are technically getting back in her premium subsidy now. Tell me you wouldn't do it? Tell me you would shell out $300/mos for a policy while qualifying for a subsidy that would cover most of that premium? Tell me that. There is a difference between shouldn't qualify and do qualify. She qualifies, we are using the benefit.

And you know what, I do have the right to complain. I pay taxes and have paid taxes since I started working at age 16. I have the right to complain about how my tax dollars are spent. Yes, this year we are getting a benefit from the system, next year when my employer decides to drop coverage because it's too expensive, things will be different. Even if I'm sitting pretty, there are still many people being affected negatively and will have high deductibles to pay for medical services. I'm not the "I got mine, I don't care what happens to you" type of person.
YOUR taxes might have taken a hit but your COMBINED taxes worked out to be the same.....

No, I would not file for a subsidy if I was living with a domestic partner and our combined income was over $100,000, never in a million years would I do that.

Your problem is you still see your relationship with the mother of your child as "mine" and "hers' vs "ours".

Since you work for the city-they have too many employees to "drop your coverage".....so you won't have to worry about that now will you.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,868,186 times
Hope and Change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance