Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
It's not affordable at all. In fact, it's a scam to bankrupt all Americans and all businesses. You'd best hope that your insurance company hangs on.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times
The corporations who got an exemption and no longer have to provide health coverage just shifted all the expense to the employee. What a great idea. The really poor will benefit going from nothing to something and the really rich will buy private insurance with excellent coverage...the middle class is screwed. They just don't all know it yet.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
As always with liberal Govt., those who can pay, must pay for themselves ... and also for those who can't or won't pay. --- It's really not that complicated --After all, the government doesn't produce anything but, debt!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

It is quite simple. The government is trying to FORCE the young and the healthy into 'The program' so as to subsidize the health care of those who are older or not as healthy.

You pay, so that the others do not have to pay. (Or pay as much)

Welcome to Amerika

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As always with liberal Govt., those who can pay, must pay for themselves ... and also for those who can't or won't pay. --- It's really not that complicated --After all, the government doesn't produce anything but, debt!
Who do you think was paying for them before the ACA?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Who do you think was paying for them before the ACA?
No real change there! ACA has simply added another huge layer of bureaucracy to the mix.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:

Yeah, I've yet to hear from anyone saying the exchanges are actually really any cheaper when including the afforded by the taxpayer subsidy for the low-income. It's really only for people who have pre-existing conditions or who are poor and have it paid for by someone else. I mean, it makes sense that it's more expensive with pre-existing conditions.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
I finally got to check the FLA policies. The only ones that make sense are about $300. Is that a lot? I have always gotten insurance through work, but my GF currently is uninsured so I'm looking for her, we are the same age. She doesn't make much, so she's been getting healthcare through the county on a sliding scale. Really doesn't make sense to shell out $3600 when she doesn't even come close to that in yearly spending. I guess we are insuring for the unpredictable?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
No real change there! ACA has simply added another huge layer of bureaucracy to the mix.
Yes, there is change......good change.

Instead of some people paying nothing toward their care.....they are now going to be contributing.

Instead of eating up thousands of dollars in ER care for things like colds and the flu.....they can see a doctor instead.

Also, many will be much more likely to seek out medical care long before their health problem has escalated into a major illness. For instance, it is much cheaper to treat high blood pressure than a stroke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance