Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM

374 posts, read 721,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
and probably saving their jobs in the process.....they are now free to get lower cost insurance through the exchange Does she have health insurance through her company now?
And hired more people to compensate for the loss in labor.

Helped Obama's unemployment numbers! What a victory.

She has insurance because she is a VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If my job got cut from 40 hours to 29, I'd barely be able to cover housing/gas/food. You think the 29-hour people are going to rush to buy insurance?

I can see the part-time people who already have health issues getting on the exchanges, but it will be interesting to see how many of the others do.
Do we know that these people were full time to start with??? Maybe they are going from 32 hours/week to 29 hours???

Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 AM

29,812 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The corporations who got an exemption and no longer have to provide health coverage just shifted all the expense to the employee. What a great idea. The really poor will benefit going from nothing to something and the really rich will buy private insurance with excellent coverage...the middle class is screwed. They just don't all know it yet.
Pretty well sums it up. The issue is, businesses can operate anywhere. The middle class is, in most cases, stuck living in America, no matter how unaffordable things become, or how hopeless things may seem.

So while the average American will continue to see their incomes affording less, congress will get a raise, jobs will continue to relocate to the cheapest hell hole of a country imaginable, and the government will continue to make a bad situation worse.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Good analogy. For many it does...for others it doesn't.
Yes, and those opposed to the ACA often ground their defenses in terms that make clear that they feel that society should prioritize their money over the lives and half of other people. It's such a corrupted morality that it is practically becoming an anti-morality - a personal stance that is explicitly and deliberately antisocial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Pretty well sums it up. The issue is, businesses can operate anywhere. The middle class is, in most cases, stuck living in America, no matter how unaffordable things become, or how hopeless things may seem. So while the average American will continue to see their incomes affording less, congress will get a raise, jobs will continue to relocate to the cheapest hell hole of a country imaginable, and the government will continue to make a bad situation worse.
Excellent insight. Yet those opposed to ACA refuse to acknowledge that the solution to this problem involves leveling the playing field between businesses and employees - just restoring it to the balance of a generation ago would reverse the doubling of economic injustice that has been promulgated by the situation you outlined. Fix that imbalance, the root cause of the problem, and the costs of failing to safeguard and foster that balance originally will begin to vanish.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Underlying much of this and other issues is whether government should have the overall societal right to allocate and redistribute the wealth earned by folks. The obvious answer is yes and that us why man emerged from the state of nature to form government. The debate in our society is the establishment of the extent and boundaries of that right. Mutual defense for the common good is fairly easy. States are staking out boundaries and priorities by altering programs, taxes etc. One can transplant to where beliefs are most prominent. We can see that in the decisions of states to or not to expand Medicaid. It us at the federal level that the greatest debate rages and for some that outcome can determine the extent they wish to continue the union. For some the prevailing thought might be " I am my brothers keeper and you aren't kin".

Thus companies can operate in those states that share a common world view if they want. Perhaps it won't even be a United STATES of America decision but one from another country.

As Martin Luther King said. " Let Freedom Reign".

Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
Quote:
Wait until it kicks in and then the premiums will be lower and the coverage better. It may take a little while, but it is supposed to even out after a few years. And remember, the only ones getting on the insurance will be healthy people as it progresses. Meaning lower premiums.
You honestly believe that? Wow.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
You honestly believe that? Wow.
Yeah it could have collapsed by then.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Not really though. Your max amount spend on health insurance based on the above income is 8.05%. Whether the plan is $200 or $500, you will only pay $192. That's a little ridiculous.
I think the subsidy is based around the idea that a person can only pay X% of income on deductibles for a reasonable plan, which the law defines as the "Silver" plan. I was thinking it was 8.05% I could be wrong. So you can buy a better plan, but the law will make you pay the difference.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I think the subsidy is based around the idea that a person can only pay X% of income on deductibles for a reasonable plan, which the law defines as the "Silver" plan. I was thinking it was 8.05% I could be wrong. So you can buy a better plan, but the law will make you pay the difference.
https://www.coveredca.com/fieldcalc/#affordable

Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Underlying much of this and other issues is whether government should have the overall societal right to allocate and redistribute the wealth earned by folks. The obvious answer is yes and that us why man emerged from the state of nature to form government. The debate in our society is the establishment of the extent and boundaries of that right. Mutual defense for the common good is fairly easy. States are staking out boundaries and priorities by altering programs, taxes etc. One can transplant to where beliefs are most prominent. We can see that in the decisions of states to or not to expand Medicaid. It us at the federal level that the greatest debate rages and for some that outcome can determine the extent they wish to continue the union. For some the prevailing thought might be " I am my brothers keeper and you aren't kin".

Thus companies can operate in those states that share a common world view if they want. Perhaps it won't even be a United STATES of America decision but one from another country.

As Martin Luther King said. " Let Freedom Reign".
Typical liberal statement.

A assumption stated as fact supported by another falsehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance